Tuesday, October 20, 2020

My First Ever Campfire!

Yesterday was a very productive day in the Peck household, however, those projects will have to wait for their reveal until I finish up with our camping trip stories, something  I will attempt to do in the next two posts. I know, how much is there to say or show about a seven day trip? The answer my friends is a lot

As all good mornings begin, let's start with a photo of Bruce making toast. Yes, he has a gadget for making toast on the campstove and it works pretty darn well.


Pretty neat, huh? Our plan for this day was to head over to Callaway Gardens which was basically just around the corner. Multiple people raved about it so we went to see for ourselves on this bright and sunny, cool morning. While I'd looked at their website, what it actually turned out to be was a bit of a surprise to me, meaning I did not understand that they consider the whole place a giant garden rather than one specific area. That said, we were there before the leaves changed color, and long after the magnificent azaleas were in bloom, the best time to go should you be in the area! Anyway, as we drove in through the forest on winding roads we noticed many workers hanging Christmas lights in the trees. Turns out that probably their biggest event of the year, called a Fantasy of Lights, takes months to set up. Parking at the striking visitor center, we made our way inside to discover what they have to offer. Striking outside, and just as striking inside.

The cases lining both the window wall and the interior wall were showcasing the natural flora of the area in silk and metal.  My photograph does not do the delicate work justice, but here it is nonetheless.

While waiting for the "bird of prey" show to begin we marveled at a large collection of BIRD paintings! Sadly the show was not what we were expecting, but that was somewhat due to Covid because normally they let them fly. Instead two young women brought out two owls, one of which is this cute Screech owl who has a disability that I cannot remember. Had I not seen loads of Barred Owls out in the wild, I would have been impressed with the other raptor they showcased. :)


Off to the Butterfly House! Large, warm and light filled, what a treat seeing butterflies flying everywhere, and while they were celebrating Blue Morpho month, perhaps you'd like to see some other ones I found interesting, not to mention beautiful!


One of my favorites, this one was hiding up in a tree:

Then again, I was pretty partial to this one as well.

Obviously, with my love of orange,  I could not write this without including this beauty.

Isn't it something to think that those are miniscule scales covering the wings, making up the whole? As to whether these are butterflies or moths, I'm not so sure, but I know some smart readers can tell the difference! I once thought it was as simple as identifying their resting position, but as with most things in life, that is not the case.

Following lunch at their cafe across the street from the back park entrance, we took in the view adjacent to the park office, a very attractive stone building


The rest of the day was spent at the campsite with Bruce doing some reading and fishing, while I played solitaire,  never once winning, btw. Another view of our fun lights.

With sadness we packed up the following morning to make way for another family to set up and make this lovely spot their temporary home away from home.

Heading South on HWY 27, which was lovely I might add, our first stop was Providence Canyon State Park. Yup, you read that right, a canyon in western Georgia! I believe I first learned of it from a brochure, or maybe someone told us, my memory is sketchy, but in any case, should you find yourself in Lumpkin, Georgia, it is well worth a stop. Parking your car, the walk is but a short distance before the canyon comes into view with signs remind you to stay behind the fencing.

Apparently caused by poor farming practices, the canyon began forming and continues to evolve with the nickname, the "Little Grand Canyon". Maybe a bit of a stretch, but after seeing it not as far fetched as one might think. Had we more time we could have hiked down into the canyon as many do. Actually the website tells me that there are five canyons!

Most definitely worth the stop.

Continuing on 27, we drove another hour or so to our next campsite located at Kolomoki Mounds State Park in Blakely, GA. Picked merely because it was on the way, the park exceeded our expectations. There are very large Indian mounds, I believe nine, that we did not explore, again due to time constraints.

That said, after staying here just one night, we most definitely intend to return to not only explore this 57 foot mound, but to enjoy the peacefulness and natural beauty. 

It was somewhat warm when we arrived to set up camp in our reserved space which turned out to be a handicapped site. What did that mean to us? For one thing we were adjacent to the bath house!!

After getting out our supplies, we set then out to dry as the ground cloth  was still damp from the previous night. While not on one of the lakefront sites, the view was lovely just the same. After setting up camp Bruce took the boat out on the lake for some fishing.

Our next visit here I will most definitely do my best to book one of the lakefront sites that have the above view. While he was out fishing, I put together some of those little pizzas that work well in the oven.

Not a bad view for getting dinner ready, right? With the sun beginning its descent, I thought, what the heck, I'm going to try and start our campfire, Gathering loads of pinecones for a base, I did just that, surprising the heck out of Bruce when he returned. I must say that I was pretty proud of myself.

Remember the bit about being a handicapped spot? The high sides to the pit are a feature of them. The night was lovely and cool, the Harvest Moon shone brightly on the lake, and we slept like babies.

The following morning I did a little bit of bike riding early while the evaporation fog was in full progress.

Sadly, it was time to once again pack up and head South to our friends in Live Oak, but most assuredly we will return to this wonderful park as soon as possible.

Are you sold on camping yet? It's a beautiful world out there!

your friend,


Gail
















No comments:

This House on Campbell Street.....