Thursday, November 5, 2020

Let's Not Forget Nature

Whew...the election season is still in limbo, but at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Seriously, has there ever been a more drawn out election cycle as this past one? Our house phone will now go silent, and the near constant onslaught of fundraising text messages and emails will cease and not a moment too soon for me. Whatever the outcome, let us go forward in peace. I was thinking the other day that I have been writing this blog through FOUR presidential elections! Here is 2008, (which I noticed all these years later) has a spelling mishap, 2012, and 2016. While our leadership may change, here I sit at my computer writing mostly the same stuff over and over. (Note to Matthew if he is reading, the 2012 post will be of interest to you.)

Which brings me to birds which have been mostly absent from this space of late. Today seems like an excellent day to focus on the never changing beauty of nature. Mostly birds, but I'm showing a few other goodies for balance. Like this pretty found in the front garden here.

Because of our newfound obsession with Pickleball, our walks around Lake Davis are nearly nonexistent prompting me to head over there (before our time on the courts) so that I might see the Egyptian Goose goslings for myself. No one seems to know how this unusual bird came to reside there, but I'm delighted they have. 

I took these several weeks ago so they are, according to my friend Candy who I ran into at Publix yesterday, growing by leaps and bounds. One thing I noticed on the day I was there was the beauty of their feathers which are really extraordinary. Many layered, there are a multitude of colors hidden under their interesting coat of feathers.

Notice that little bit of nearly hidden teal? One of them spread their wings for a bit of preening, showing off even more colors. 

Those ducklings! Oh my! I must find time to see how big they have gotten before they are all grown up!

Speaking of Pickleball, Nancy (in the pink shorts), ever the stoic, continued playing despite her swollen and bruised foot because, well, once you've tried it, you want to keep playing, and playing, and playing!

She's back home now, working hard, and truth be told, longing to return here ASAP! 

On any number of days, butterflies will fly by while we are playing, but one day something else happened. Patti noticed something on the other court....turns out a bird had a hold of this beautiful moth and dropped it, thus the torn wing.

Isn't it fantastic? Just as the Egyptian Goose, so much interest under those wings. 

Remarkably, I convinced B to take a day off in order to go to Lake Apopka Wildlife drive for the morning which was sadly somewhat slow, however I did see this cute bird that I cannot identify for the life of me.

Gator sightings were few and far between, picking up steam over time; about 20 or so during the drive.

Lots of Osprey were out fishing and I was thrilled to see a Belted Kingfisher on a branch, even if it was nearly out of my camera's range.

Although I've heard them out back, and even seen a few diving for fish, they are way too quick for my photographic skills! 

Here's another new bird to me...an Eastern Phoebe, or so I think.

One afternoon I saw a bunch of bird activity in the trees out the bedroom window. Camera in hand, I rushed outside to see what was happening. As a matter of fact a lot was happening, but I was unable to capture much of the zooming birds, however I did manage to get one shot of what I've learned is a American Redstart, a very beautiful bird that I've never before seen.

Sadly, they have since stayed away. Because the weather continued to be so warm, folks were out on the lake, keeping cool and having fun. Have you ever been on a paddleboard? I've been on David's just once and it is fun once you get your balance.Daylight savings time came and went with me forgetting to turn the clocks back ahead of time as is my norm. For some reason I thought it was this upcoming weekend. Good thing we don't have jobs! Oh wait, Bruce told Tom we do have a job and that is learning to play....Pickleball! With as much time as we devote to it, you would think it was a job. 😀Because I have never played a sport before, the learning curve for me is very steep.

Nothing new to report on the oven I am sad to report. I have baked a bit, using up some old bananas for both muffins,

and some little loaves of banana bread. 

Fortunately I already had some small loaf pans as well as a 6 well muffin pan that I bought for camping. The Vortex does a fine job, but I still want my oven to work so I can expand my baking repertoire. Beggars can't be choosers then, can they? Thanks Fallon and Bill!

On another note, we are going camping again next week! 

Stay tuned....

your friend,


Gail
















No comments:

Back at the Homestead