Monday, February 21, 2022

We're Going to Gatorland!!

Before I get into today's story I realize that in my last post, the title was misleading. My attempt to be clever, on later reflection, fell flat. Instead of duck hunting I should have said duck finding which is what I do. I get it that there are those who like to hunt, however, I am merely a seeker, not a shooter!

With that out of the way...

During Matt and Tom's upcoming visit, we plan on doing mostly outdoor activities, one of which is going to my favorite local attraction in hopes of seeing many birds on their nests. Thus, our exciting Valentine's Day date was a recognizance mission to Gatorland in order to see how much activity is already happening. As it turns out, not a whole lot, although we did see a few Egrets on their nests. So while the nests were not exactly plentiful just yet, there is always something exciting going on making our trip a success. 

Remembering the first time we took our British son-in-law Tom there for his first live sighting of an alligator brings a smile to my face. That trip was also a success and he even sat for the obligatory photo on the fake gator.

So many of the gators lie still, barely even blinking that you would almost think that they weren't real. That is except for the Jumparoo when they are fed raw chicken. Now we did not see any actual jumping, however, we did see what I might describe as lunging.

Mostly, though they just lay there, sometimes one on top of another.

Every now and again it seems that they do make some noise. When we saw this fellow he was bellowing so loud. Very interesting. Perhaps it was a mating call? Isn't that pattern so cool? I'm pretty sure this is my first time seeing under the skin under their mouths and I find it remarkable. The day began a bit chilly and windy, but with plentiful sunshine, it was a joy to be a Floridian on this day. 

Making our way towards the flamingoes, we first stopped by the petting zoo area where we learned a little bit about sheep and their coats. The worker was quite knowledgeable having been there for 17 years. She will featured in a minute.

The flamingoes did not disappoint, so many and so colorful. (just a few of them pictured)
While checking out the flamingoes we were delighted to see something new to us in the form of two Capybaras. What's that you ask?

While I thought they were super cute, Bruce drolly claimed that they looked like rodents, so not so cute. 

Both the Capybaras and the flamingoes are in the same area, apart from the gators, which leads me to believe that both might be gator bait if that were not the case. That said, many of the other birds actually ride on the gators backs. Make of that what you will.

As you all are fully acquainted with, my main interests lie with the birds, both big and not so big. On this occasion, I gained a newfound love affair with the Emus.  That blue! Those feathers! 

While searching for the breeding colors of Emus, I came across this site should you want to know how to judge and confirm an emu.  Not only can you learn about that, but you can find a breeder should you care to have one of your own! 

My fascination with bird eyes continues growing with no end in sight. While observing my favorite bird, Barred Owls in the past, I've seen their third eyelid before and it is a strange sight indeed. Well, how about this for a third eyelid, and it comes up from the bottom too!

Bruce and I watched in amazement! There are quite a number of these six feet tall birds to see at Gatorland. So good.

Eventually we made our way to where the rookery is located. Don't know what a rookery is? Neither did I for most of my life, but here's the official definition. In our illustration, it surrounds the gator breeding grounds who provide protection to the nesting birds from predators. As mentioned above, there were not a lot of nests, but a few Great Egrets were active.

Isn't this just amazing stuff?  I will make bird lovers out of you all!  Conversely, you may get so sick of bird talk that you may just say,, enough is enough!  That green by the beak is part of the whole breeding colors. Sort of like makeup maybe?

Strolling along I spotted a Black Crowned Night Heron amongst the mangroves and there was not a single angle allowing me to take a photograph of this gorgeous bird. Disappointed for sure, but life goes on. Or so they say. 

Remember the woman in the petting zoo area? Not long after this, while we were near the Florida Panthers, this same woman caught up with us, reporting that Savannah was not far from where we were now located. Savannah is a local radio personality that Bruce listens to when she is on the Monsters in the Morning broadcast. So, she's a radio personality and also works at Gatorland. She told us that she was in a big hat and sure enough, that's what we used to find her.

Being a fan boy, Bruce called out a greeting which she acknowledged, albeit briefly!

Have you ever been on a zip line? They have one there and Bruce actually asked if I wanted to do it. Seriously? This wuss? Maybe he can get Matt and Tom to do it with him....

Aha....not so fast on no heron photo day. 

Lo and behold, as I was returning to Bruce from my second visit with the flamingoes, what should I see on a deck?

As to that fascination with the variation and color differences in birds eyes? Wonder why their eyes are red?

Perhaps it helps them see better at night? This article, while helpful in other ways, did not answer that question. 

Wasn't that fun? If you are a local, it is so worth a visit there to be amazed and entertained. Eat local...visit local is a good policy. Not to mention a good value.

In other news...

The bathroom saga is over!! Friday afternoon Herbert did more prep work with a chipping hammer.

Followed by some brown goop that had to dry over the weekend.

This morning, just as I was leaving to play our favorite game, he arrived and put the tile back from whence it came. During the demo he only broke one tile which I found amazing. After another night to let it set up completely, the morning will find me cleaning the floor and we are back in business! What a relief that it was far less serious than it could have been!

Speaking of our favorite game, perhaps you saw this article in the New York Times? I tell you it is everywhere! And rightly so, because it is SO MUCH FUN! And a good value which adds to the appeal for many. With inflation at absolutely insane levels right now, good value is at the top of most folks list, or so I would think. I kept wondering how it is people are still spending money in spite of higher costs for most everything, Bill, who works in banking tells me that household debt is how. Sounds like a vicious cycle that I hope straightens out sooner rather than later. When I go grocery shopping I keep imagining having to feed six people with such high prices and my heart goes out to those who have to do that very thing. It's not just food that is crazy high; Bruce bought a box of screws this morning to help Bill with a fencing project and for a smaller box than the five pounds he wanted to buy, instead of being $24.00, it was $36.00! 

Just as the threat of dying from the Coronavirus wanes, the high prices of everything from gas to rents, are hurting people in other ways. It's not just Americans who are hurting, from what I read, it is happening everywhere! 

As this blog is meant to represent real time, I would be remiss if I didn't record one the biggest stories of our time. Hopefully my little blog can provide a little bit of escapism that brings a modicum of joy. Especially if you like birds!!

your friend,

Gail

Blast from the past....this post from 2009 contains  one of my most popular images in my early years of selling. While challenging at times, those were some interesting times.

No comments:

Back at the Homestead