Monday, April 11, 2022

What Have We Here?

The answer to that question? We have a lot, is the short version. All sorts of goodies in fact, I hardly know where to start. Oh yes I do...the most important story of this time in history.

Leaving the Dover Shores courts, I asked Bruce to drive us to Lake Davis for a check on the swan's nest. No sooner than we had traveled in that direction, I asked if he would mind turning around and let me check on some ducklings at Lake Como that we'd seen on our way to church, a few days prior. On that day I'd seen pure white ducklings, however, as time was of the essence that day, we continued on our way. Circling the lake in our car, we saw not even one duck, yet, not content with the initial viewing, Bruce pulled onto a side street for me to walk over to more thoroughly investigate. Well what should I see first but the memorial bunny decked out in the Ukrainian flag colors which really touched my heart. We all feel so helpless watching the people's suffering. whether it be on the news or in print, the latest atrocities are here. 

Because we feel so useless, many are doing small things such as the bunny, or every single light post encircling the lake to show their support and concern.

Easy to miss when you are traveling in a car, but very powerful in person. As to the ducks, they were there if you knew where to look. Unfortunately I was too late for the ducklings, their whereabouts are unknown, although if I had to guess, they were either a meal to a big turtle, or a raptor.

Speaking of knowing where to look, you just knew I would be going back in search of those owlets, didn't you? But of course you did! Just past sunrise, before pickleball, I drove over, parked alongside the sidewalk and began scanning the trees. Not an owl in sight. I even ran into the husband of the friend who was attacked with him describing a few places he'd seen them, particularly near sunset. Still no luck. Well, the kindness of strangers was on full display because as I crossed the road towards my car, a couple asked if I'd gotten any good shots? Explaining my futile attempt, another man from the group spoke up saying he'd heard from someone else, another place to look. By golly, he was spot on!!

Although he thought there might be four in attendance at this owl party, I felt very fortunate indeed to find three in one tree! I share the above to put this all into perspective size-wise. The other parent was AWOL.

Let's have a closer look, shall we? 

If I had to guess that is the female owl, but because the only real difference between male and female Barred Owls is their size, without a comparison I'm not entirely sure. What I do know is the lower branch is one of the little fellas. Let's call him the least adventuresome because he stayed close to the parent, whereas the girl (?) left her perch up high,

landing on an even higher perch looking just about as cute as it gets.

Can we all agree that the fluffy front is just fantastic? Of course we can! If we still lived just across the street, you can bet I would be over there day after day to watch their progress, however, I am trying to restrain myself because it now entails a car trip rather than a bicycle.  While I could actually still ride my bicycle over there, it is now more about time BECAUSE nearly every day is pickleball day around this household. Several days a week we are going to Dover Shores, loving the game on a dedicated court. 

As with most things in life, while the courts are terrific, there is very little, and I mean very little in the way of shade, something we very much enjoy on our "home" courts. That said, we are meeting more "pickle people" continuing to add to our enjoyment of the game. 

Gifts from heaven my friends. A sliver of a moon,

wonderful cloud formations,

along with very defined sunrises. It's just wonderful watching it come up out of the trees.

Speaking of the skies, much of the week it has been not only hot but very, very windy. Friday night during the birthday party for Sandy at the pool, the wind was crazy strong, causing lots of movement of said pool water.

Many in the crowd had to walk home for jackets to warm up when the sun went down.

Amaryllis sighting, a sure sign of spring, although with temperatures hovering near 90 on some days last week,, it won't be too long before "Greater Summer" begins in earnest.

While checking on the swan's nest, which btw, she was still on a few days ago, although this house across from the lake has graced this space in the past, it is just so good I have to share it again. That Bottlebrush tree! The glorious Bougainvillea goes without saying.


It almost looks too perfect to be real, but real it is. While I do love symmetry, I'm still a fan of the wildflowers that sprout up this time of year too.

Our tiny garden is looking quite striking if I do say so myself.

It's all Bruce, so I take not an iota of credit for the design. 

Yesterday was the annual Palm Sunday, waving of the, you guessed it..... palms!

What is most notable is the amount of people in attendance, probably the most since the pandemic began. Whether or not they attend post Easter, remains to be seen. Although our minister tells us that people are still watching online, I, for one cannot imagine doing so when the threat of infection has diminished so much. But then again, I can't imagine driving a truck nearly four times the size of my MINI Cooper like the one parked next to me at Publix. The moral of the story perhaps is that it takes all kinds!

On our way home we stopped at a newish store in town, located on the corner of Fairbanks and Mills Street, otherwise known as 17-92. If you live in the area, have you tried Wild Fork?
We've yet to try the items we purchased but one thing that spoke to me was their slogan of Frozen is Fresher, something my Mom always claimed. Despite the fact that it has been nearly 20 years since our Mother died, her words continue living in my head! 

So, if all the above weren't enough, this morning while playing pickleball I had to call a time out! And why was that you ask? High above the courts, in the trees three Swallow-tail Kites perched after putting on a beautiful arial display. Even my not so in-love-with-birds friends agreed that it was a magnificent sight.  Pretty sure this is my first photo bombed bird shot.
While that was pretty neat, something more happened a little later.
Yup, the mating game on full display! I learned a lot about these beautiful birds here, including the fact that they actually breed here in Florida, then fly to South America for their winter. Even the mention of migration just thrills me every time, thinking of how the heck they can travel so far. I get it, wings, but still it is so remarkable to me, even more so having just finished reading this article from Audubon.  (for the real bird geeks amongst you!)

Lastly, I wonder if kites got their name from these birds, or was it the other way around? 

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead