Saturday, June 4, 2022

A Slightly Rainy Saturday

Ordinarily, we would be playing pickleball this morning with our LPV group, however it is drizzling outdoors making for courts that are too wet to safely play on. I may have to eat my words later on today but as of now, the predicted dire weather has not arrived. 

Instead, let's finish up our visit to Deerwoode Reserve.

As is the same for all of us, the beauty of visiting unfamiliar environments is just that--the newness of everything. Whereas we have wonderful skies here in Florida, turns out they can be pretty great wherever you go. 

Should you have taken the time to look at the album in my last post a few of these will be familiar. Because I know that is unlikely, I'm feeling emboldened to post some of them again. Following the rain, not only was the sunset interesting, casting wonderful light on the roadway and mountains, but something super interesting happened as well. At least to me it was because, you guessed it, unfamiliar.

Steam, fog, whatever you call it, began rising from the mountains. Needless to say, I was thrilled. Above is the meadow which was filled with the fireflies I told you about. SUCH an amazing sight watching the light show! Then there was the dew rising at dawn, another great sight.

I, of course, loved it all. Looking at the photo above, here's the only thing that went awry during our stay. One evening Bruce had gone fishing on the lake which is just beyond the middle trees; perhaps a half of a mile? Anyway, he was gone for a good long while. Thinking he was just having fun, I waited patiently back at the Meadow Cabin.

Eventually though, with the light fading, I decided to go and find him. My heart sunk as I saw him just beyond the garden, moving at a snail's pace because, while getting off the sit-upon kayak, his back went out. I know, horrible right? The only downside to the place is the cell phone reception. TMobile just doesn't work unless you are near your cabin which he was not. Calling me, and calling me, hoping it would work, he finally tried to get home on his own. Am I painting enough of a sad picture? To add insult to injury, he had an amazing time, catching 15 fish which he promptly returned to the water. It definitely put a damper on things. After a very hot shower and some Tylenol, he slept on the FLOOR! because he wanted a hard surface!! 

Thank goodness we had our walking sticks which did allow him to get about the next day, albeit slowly! He was able to fish in the closest part of the lake which is adjacent to the trees in the sunrise/foggy photo above. While he did that, I took off on one of the trails.

One of the things that so impressed me was they have seemingly thought of everything to make for an enjoyable time, providing a lovely spot to rest amongst the trees should the need arise. 

I saw some wild turkeys in an adjoining field which was fun.

If you get lucky, you might come across some of Brevard's famous white squirrels. As it happened, we saw one randomly on a street we'd turned on after seeing a for sale sign. Very interesting indeed.

Bruce saw several near the lake, as well as a few rabbits! Perhaps you have gathered by now how exciting it is for me when I see a new bird for the first time. That is why I was so thrilled seeing all of the Tree Swallows, While I have seen an Eastern Bluebird before, it was on a telephone wire, not the most glamorous of perches. Here is one posing for it's Glamour Shot!

Such a lovely, delicate bird! 

We did venture into downtown Brevard again, that is after finding our friend Rhonda's house at her urging. Talk about a backyard view!!

Gorgeous, right? Sending me several restaurant recommendations, we chose one of her favorites to have lunch.

Seriously delicious!

Oh my was it good. 

With so much to explore on property, before long we went back for a little more serenity. I guess Bill, the former owner, loved doing projects over his 55 years there.  Here's then entrance to a large Bamboo forest he created.

On another walk, I was behind said forest when lo and behold, I found this, apparently dating back to the camp days.

That's some kind of tree house isn't it?

While looking through the photos I came across this one that pretty much summed up our lives for a time. 

I am holding Jonathan, Matt is on the left with what appears to be an ear of corn, and Bill and Dave are enthralled with something Uncle Cris is involved in. It looks like controlled chaos doesn't it? I have no idea who took it, but I just love that it is a real moment in time. No staging in that photo!!

I used to be pretty good with chaos but those days are long behind me. Today, slow is just fine with me.

With the iffy weather outside, we are taking it easy today in our cozy little home here in Orlando. To date, none such place has been found in NC!

your friend,

Gail

p.s. I'll get to what's current next time!

No comments:

Back at the Homestead