Monday, April 10, 2023

Losing Track of Time

I cannot promise to finish this post in one session because I might go crazy before it is done. Above my head is the sound of demolition. Connie may have thought it was not much but that's easy for her to say because she is beside it, not under the noise! Jackhammers, that sort of thing. So, we shall see how far I go with this.

One huge blessing is that we have had a weather reprieve. The relentless heat and sunshine for the last month has been replaced, at least for a few days, with cool gray weather. Easter was like that for which I was grateful. Saturday was as hot as can be. Checking my closet for a Eastery kind of dress to wear, I tried on several sleeveless numbers. Waking up on Easter morning, I thought better of that idea and chose another dress with sleeves. One that I made while we were living in Vancouver where I had ready access to fabric galore. Ready might not be the word that comes to mind to some folks because, the truth is, it was a 2.5 mile walk to get to Dress Sew, but I became accustomed to it over time. It gave me a chance to cross the city and see what I could see. That store was the absolute best!!

As to losing track of time, most of what I'm going to report is a bit of a blur, timewise. Was it last week? The week before? Who knows? Does it even matter? Probably not. 

How about we begin with the herons? The nest was very active on this day. Perhaps the kids were trying out their wings before they actually had to use them? 

I only wish that I could see the nest better but seriously, I have every reason to be grateful that I have had a front row seat, albeit with the stage a good ways away, to witness the miracle of new life. We have done a bunch of that this year and I've been thrilled to share it with you. It is like your own nature show right here in this blog! 

I don't think I ever did show this neat sight.

The truth is that I take photographs of everything that interests me and unfortunately, most things do. Thus, the photos accumulate and I forget about them. That said, when I see them again, I can immediately identify where it was taken. I'm talking years and years ago. There's just something about the action of taking the photo that sears the memory into my brain. If only that held true for other things!

The best time of day to take a full moon photograph is at dawn. There's a wee bit more light to help a person out. Called The Pink Moon this month, should you be wondering.

What a great segue to the photo below!! 

Three of our pickleball buddies, part of the early bird group. When several friends show up in essentially the same color family, we love to take their photos. Maryanne, Karen and Terry, none of whom I would have ever met in my "real" life. 

The biggest news of the last weekish is David and Bill turned 44 on April Fool's Day. And no, we were not fooled, having learned in the fourth month that we were having twins. What a day that was! I can remember it all as if it were yesterday beginning with my friend Connie doing the ultrasound, a brand new modality at the time, and telling me she was pretty sure she saw two babies. I about yanked her arm out of the socket when I reached for it!! 

Well here we are all these years later celebrating at Bill's home with a cookout.

That would be their friend Eddie on the right, and Fallon's dad between them. It was a super hot day and some folks were happy to stay indoors.

Bill's wife Fallon is at the end of the table and Michelle, David's wife is across from Bruce. For those of you who have been with us on our journey for many years,  perhaps you might recall how awful the pool, and the back yard for that matter, looked when the work began. Now it looks amazing, as does all of the landscaping Bill has done himself. He definitely takes after his Dad in the hard working category!

Sometime, there I go again, not knowing when, but anyway, we followed Leigh after pickleball to her home in order for Bruce to give her some advice on a broken door. What a visit that was. The house on Lake Conway was built in the 50's on a huge lot. Her plantings are numerous, as are her neighbor Diana's. Squealing with delight she said, "you have got to see this Gail!" Holy cow, she was not kidding! 

Don't recognize this orchid because you have never seen anything like this before?? Astonishingly, it is called Dancing Lady and normally, should you be buying one, it might look more like this.

Maybe two or three stalks, not forty or more!! Both yards were wonderful with beautiful Caladiums in Diana's yard,

Florida Wild Orchids in the orange, along with multiple cultivated orchids in her carport/greenhouse.

Looks like a lot of blooms, right? We missed about half of them because they had bloomed earlier...one plant, mind you!

Leigh's backyard with the towering oaks that have been there for decades, one of which is shown below.

Absolutely magnificent in person. The inside of her home was filled with all manner of artsy touches as well as liberal use of her flora for,, dare I say, magnificent arrangements? 

Honestly, it was so good, I kept exclaiming over everything. Even the bunny rabbit in her yard brought delight.

While we were sitting on the dock beside the boat house, I kept watching Diana's bird feeders. But you knew that already, didn't you? If there are birds around, I will be watching! Eventually I got the shot I wanted of this Great crested flycatcher. Pretty, isn't it? 

Heading home after our visit, we drove by what I am calling the last cows in Orlando. Maybe I am wrong about that, but I don't think so. Where we used to see them on Judge Road has been paved over with huge warehouses. Let's enjoy seeing them while we still can!

Perhaps they moved those Judge Road cows to this field? I'm not sure, but I will say I was delighted that they moved close to the road in their field. In truth, so close that I had to reach over the barbed wire fence to get these shots.

That face!!

This face!! In keeping with our new life theme of late.

I would be remiss if I did not recount that we went to a super fun boiled dinner in Keith and Patty's backyard with two other pickleball couples. It is such a cozy space I am jealous every time I am over there, longing for my own home.

Of course there are many advantages to living in a condominium, so don't think that I am unhappy at all. Well, a wee bit. Liz and Ann asked how the election turned out and sadly I told them that we were unhappy with the outcome. Still are for that matter, but as is always true about most everything...this too shall pass!

Look at my begonia!! Isn't it something?

Earlier today I was showing someone our condo and she was surprised at all the color we have used. I explained that we cannot live without color and would be so unhappy in an all gray home. Thus, the above plant makes me very happy.

But I do appreciate elegance when I see it. 

Do you feel the same way about magnolia blooms? And the fragrance!! Such the bonus! 

I made it!! The banging has ceased and here we are at a good stopping point. I dare say I will be making dinner in peace and quiet. And while using the screen door. 

Score!

your friend,

Gail

p.s. Should you be interested, Great Blue Herons stay "nestlings" for 60 or more days. I'm going to guess it won't be long now and they will be gone for good. How the heck do they know where to go???

No comments:

Back at the Homestead