Monday, May 22, 2023

A Pleasant Surprise

Sometimes it works in my favor having a bad memory. Late this morning I discovered, via my darling husband, that we are taking up our short term residence in Murphy a day earlier than I thought. It came to my attention because our new landlord texted me, inquiring as to whether I was bringing our own sheets as well as the new quilt. Yep, we have found a new occasional reader for this humble blog. Speaking of the quilt, it is coming along nicely. I have worked on it for hours on end and have about half of it quilted. The sandwiching, using 102" flannel went together better than one might expect considering how big this thing is. 90" X 98". That is a lot to sort out. Fortunately, by moving the thrones to other parts of the living room, we were able to put it together. And yes, it takes the two of us! I will show it next time when I hope to have it all done! One reason, aside from wanting something from home, is that it gave me something to occupy my time while waiting for our big adventure. That is working out just as I hoped it would because once you begin sewing straight line after straight line, the hours rush past. 

Returning to our visit to Murphy, a very big feature of the town is that the Hiwassee River runs through town. 

Somewhat quickly I might add. Guess what is adjacent to the river? Oh yes my friends, there is pickleball. 

Not only is there pickleball in this location, but where you see the big welcome sign, that's the gym that Bruce joined already. Not only did he join, but he worked out there as well leaving time for little missy here to see what she could see. And boy did I see a lot of goodness, including beautiful blooming pink Dogwood blossoms. 

wild roses,

a new kind of Magnolia tree to me, maybe somewhat like the ones I saw in Vancouver,

and wildflowers galore.

Oh yes, lest I forget, the early bird gets the worm. We did arrive before other players because, well, that's what we do, get to the courts early!

This my friends, was the real star of the show. 

The yellow was so intense, somewhat like our local yellow Tabebuia trees. I took so many photographs that it is so hard to choose, but having the bright yellow reflection in the water is pretty great. Plus, I imagine by the time we return it will all be gone. But then again, maybe it won't?

The temperature was cool to most folks who looked at me in my skort like I was a crazy person, however,  I was reveling in being cool. Today, after my first game which probably finished around 7:20 because it went 13-11, I was drenched in sweat. While I am on the subject of weather, it seems as if our 5 month long draught is over because we've had multiple days in a row with thunderstorms rolling in around four in the afternoon. I guess it took flirting with 90 degrees to bring them on. 

Yeah, most of the folks wore more clothes than me.

It will take some getting used to not having fences between the courts yet I have no doubt that we are up for the task. Lots of folks who have moved from Florida are in the mix so we will have that in common with some of the players. 

Because all this happened about two weeks ago I am at the mercy of that poor memory I referenced earlier, so let's talk about stuff I do remember and that is the wonderful kitchen in the light and bright living area. 

I brought my computer so that I could figure out how and where I could continue blogging. Turns out the desk in the bedroom will work just fine. In the online photograph I thought the bedroom television might be sitting on the desk, but that was thankfully not the case. Unlike most folks we have never had a television in our bedroom making that a first for us.

My darling husband turned 70 (!!) last week. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that he is healthy and strong. My father died aged 68. There's just no telling when you get older, but from the looks of him, he will be around for a good long while. He received wonderful gifts and more, a birthday dinner, balloons, and cake all of which I will show in my next post, well, what the heck, let me go get that camera and see what I can find. Turns out that it was far too dark in the restaurant, The pictures were rubbish meaning we will have to forget that, but I did find this nice photograph of Patti and Bruce during her birthday delivery. She is such a generous friend.

Also it was fun that both she and Bruce were wearing a similar colored shirt. Look at those white feet on Bruce! I also found this:

Lots of red!

Returning to the past, on the next day, before we began playing, I was mega thrilled to hear and see this Goldfinch in the trees adjacent to the courts.

Seeing a Goldfinch in Orlando is pretty uncommon although not unheard of, but it would be more likely on a feeder. Seeing this in the wild was a fantastic discovery. Moreover. I do see Cedar Waxwings for a few days here in Orlando, but how nice was this to see them in North Carolina?

Lookee here:

The sweet birdie was taken in the yard at Charlotte's Cottage along with this shot of Bruce on the long driveway. You might note he is using a walking stick as it is far steeper than we are accustomed to.Goodness me, there is so much more to share, but not the time to do so tonight.  For now, I will leave you with yet another pleasant surprise...

a field of yellow with a background of mountains. It does not get much better than that!

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Suddenly it is May