Tuesday, March 26, 2024

A Week Ago Tuesday

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, last Tuesday was a life-changing day for your favorite couple. Well, maybe not your favorite, but if you are reading this, you at least put us in your top ten don't you? While our son David urged me to keep quiet, you absolutely know that is not in my nature, so I am going to tell you a little story that began with this photograph.

During the early months of our stay in Murphy, Thursday was pretty much always our field trip day, however, that practice has changed, in part because we have toured around a bunch and in part because we are more involved with the everyday life of the community. As I sat down to write this I was sure I had the sequence of events in my mind and some of them I do, however, the exact reason I was out driving the car by myself is now clouded in my memory. Obviously that is unimportant, but you know how it is, you want to remember stuff!! Nevertheless, I do know that I was out driving to see all the flowers I could see. The above caught my eye on Campbell Street, a charming street of older homes in downtown Murphy that we drive by nearly every day. I just loved the way the flowers cascaded down the wall and the fact that they were purple was a bonus, another sight I could share with our purple-loving friend Mary at home.

Fast forward to Sunday and while standing in front of the church, I spotted a "For Sale" sign in the front yard, telling Bruce, oh my goodness, that neat house is for sale. Now when we came up here in May to view Charlotte's Cottage I will be honest with you, I never imagined that we would want to move here, but by golly, that is exactly what happened! Except we were spoiled because the cottage is so close to town and we have based our experiences on that fact. The church, the pickleball courts, the gym and grocery store are all so close, not to mention the wine shop! Bruce had talked to a realtor months ago, but after viewing countless houses online, all of them either too far away (in our view), ugly, too small and the list goes on. We were content to stay in the cottage until they had to kick us out, which John assured us that they had no intention of doing.

Until I saw the house on Campbell Street.

While I saw the sign in person, it was not listed online, so I put it out of my mind for two days until I sat down to write my last blog post and decided to check if it were listed. Hell yes it was, one hour earlier! Once I was able to see what the inside looked like, after Bruce saw the photos, he agreed to call the realtor and within the hour we were touring what we hope to be our last home. That sounds weird, but let's face the facts, we are most definitely not getting any younger. We will still have the condo should we need a winter break, but more likely be lonesome for our family!

Walking in the front door from the charming porch,  it was love at first sight. The floors are amazing, the rooms the size to be expected in a 100 year old home, and there is the beginnings of a shop in the basement, so what is not to like? In Orlando we have always admired houses in this style, but the price tag always kept us at bay. Murphy is way more affordable, that's for sure. 

According to Bill, the 86 year old owner, the purple Thrift used to continue the length of the wall. I bet that was super pretty. He told me that although his wife wanted him to replant he decided not to bother and really who can blame him at his age? Having said that, he seems to be doing remarkably well and is selling because his wife of 63 years died in December and his kids don't want him using the stairs while living alone and really, in their opinion it is just too much of a house for him. The realtor told us it was called Thrift, but when Laura saw it she insisted it was Phlox. Hmmm....apparently there is some real controversy on the subject answered here. 

The house just spoke to us, and so we took the plunge, putting in a contract two hours later. Some drama ensued the next morning, but all is well that ends well. The sale was never in question though. Our realtor Donna set up the home inspection for Saturday and we met Robert at the house. He did an incredibly thorough inspection for $500 dollars, in case you are wondering, telling us that he has been doing inspections for 10 years and he could not believe the shape the house is in. Neither could we!! Bill Sr. was a Navy guy and immediately I thought to myself, no wonder the house is ship-shape.

Looks like we will be walking lots of places in the future including church which is barely visible as a large brick structure, pictured on the right through the trees. I took this from the driveway.

And now we wait. 

Bill Sr. is moving into an apartment that is still under construction, so it won't be until at least early May until we can move in. In the meantime, let us together enjoy nature, the likes of which are just fantastic at this time of year. The weather is still chilly, in fact there is a light rain falling as I type. Bruce, along with another man from church,  is repairing a door frame for a woman in need. 

I have so many pretty picture to share, so let's get to it, beginning with this one of some boxwood and daffodils. Aren't they so lovely? Playing a little with light and shadows on this one.

Holy cow these deer in the orchard out front. That is some smoke from the controlled burn in the background.

They've begun lightening up for the summer. That is one thing we will very much miss in our new home. No deer! Boo hoo, but we do know where to find them should we need a fix! Did I tell you that we saw a coyote crossing the street on our way to the cottage one late afternoon? It's been so fun seeing all of the wildlife right outside our door. As to my birdies, I will never have the same opportunity for bird watching as I have enjoyed here just outside the window. 

The bluebirds have most definitely begun their nest building and shoo off all the other birds who want to steal their home.

The flowering fruit trees....

have been so much fun to photograph, not to mention appreciate their beauty. 

This tree has slowly filled with blossoms and what a sight to behold. 

Just this morning I watched the male Cardinal feeding the female so I'm imaging there will be more baby birds than just the bluebirds. That is one thing about still being here awhile, hopefully we will witness the babies. Here's Mrs. Cardinal in a tree that I photographed last week. Wait until you see what it looks like now when next I write. Gorgeous is what it looks like!

We did just open our third 50 pound bag of seed yesterday afternoon. Taking a peek outside just now and it's a frenzy out there folks. The Goldfinch are rapidly changing which will also be featured in my next post. 

Look at this! Talk about changing fast, one day they were all white and the next this.

Since I took the above they are all clothed in a lovely shade of spring green. 

With Easter being celebrated this Sunday, I am so reminded of the resurrection and how grateful I am to live in such a beautiful world. I took this at Mark and Mary Beth's house and it was the first butterfly I have seen since last Autumn.

More beauty to follow, 

daffodils are mostly fading, but not before I took this one.

There are Robins galore at the park.

and loads of blooming trees as well.

Mostly I have been walking in the afternoon when the park is crowded, but on the morning I took the above, it was very cold and empty which suited me just fine. 

One of the really neat things about the Valley River Picklers is how they are so generous. Oh, by the way, Mr. Peck was not only a success with the county commissioners, but at the suggestion of the park manager, went to the city for the remaining funds and both parties said YES! Amazing, right? You would think we were residents? Oh wait, very soon we will be turning in a beautiful life in a frantic city to life in a very quiet small town. Anyway, with donations from the group, a pavillion with bathroom and storage room was built and the man who spearheaded the construction aspect needs knee surgery. While he has insurance, being out of work for many weeks without income is no fun. The group rallied and had a tournament with a donation as an entry fee. Over $5,000 was raised which should be a big help.

The group has welcomed us with open arms making our transition to a new residence all the sweeter. 

Look!! 
That is a male Goldfinch and a Pine Sisken on the right. The transformation of the Goldfinch is absolutely remarkable. Will we be able to transform ourselves to small town mountain people? What do you think?

your friend,


Gail 

No comments:

Back at the Homestead