Thursday, April 11, 2024

A Low Level of Anxiety

 I would be less than truthful if I did not report that both Bruce and I are operating under a low level of anxiety. Shoot, we are old so lots of stuff has happened to us over the years, but this waiting around is getting to both of us. For months and months Bruce had been looking at houses, wait I told you that already. Anyway, when this one finally popped up and we were instantly sold (no pun intended), we are now ready to get a move on. We agreed to the timing, so whining won't change a thing, but still, until it is closed, we are a tiny bit anxious. 

With beauty like this to view about town, seriously, we need to shake it off. Can you believe this color?

Another thing that has us a bit anxious is my entry into what they call the Silver Arts part of Senior Games. First off, why in the world I chose unusual things to enter is now a mystery to me? I absolutely know that landscapes, or something pretty will win, so what was I thinking? Well maybe it was the part where they were looking for creativity? Or are they? It is not like I don't have hundreds of pretty pictures, right?


Furthermore, options for frames are few and far between here. Especially in 16X20 so Wal Mart it was. Except the color was way wrong forcing a trip to Lowes to find a suitable color to paint them. The paint did not want to adhere, so there was that. Then, when it finally dried, while Bruce was putting the picture in, the paper-thin glass broke. Now what? This happened on Tuesday, two days before they were due to be dropped off at the Cherokee Art Council Building downtown. Once again, a local business came through which does not surprise us in the least as that has been our experience since we arrived. This wonderful woman, who had never actually cut glass before as her husband does that side of the business, took a chance on us and did a fantastic job.

Whew! Bruce attached the back wire,

and is delivering them at 10am as he drives by it on his way home from the gym. It is rainy here today forcing me to say home.  For a Floridian it is little bit chilly, but supposedly the sun will pop out later in the day. Tomorrow afternoon there is a reception at the gallery to announce the winners and I will see how far off I was on my choices! There is always next year when I will be much more prepared in every way. I have also entered the writing competition so we shall soon see where I stand with that.

Furniture shopping!! Oh my! Frame choices are limited and the same holds true for furniture choices. We visited Gibsons in nearby Andrews and there is plenty of this type of furniture in stock.

Fortunately there is another store that sells a different variety in Murphy where we have just purchased a dining room set and living room furniture. The problem? It has been a long time since we last purchased new furniture and we are suffering from sticker shock. Bruce has put a budget together and we are doing what we can to stay within it. Our saleswoman Cathy has provided us with all sorts of ideas to maximize both our space and budget for which we are grateful. Two rooms down, about three to go. Naturally this has added a little to our anxiety but I will say it has been fun putting things together. I believe I mentioned it before but it is almost like when we were newlyweds except this time we happen to have a little more money!

Last Friday night we went downtown to see Bill Jr. perform at Cherokee Cellars. Who exactly is Bill Jr. you ask? His dad owns the house on Campbell Street. A family that sat down next to us went to high school with Bill Jr. so that was fun. We love meeting the locals! He performs all around the area, following his career as a banker and CFO of the local college.

Closing on the house is meant to be May 3 or 6, however, the place where Bill Sr. is moving to does not look to us as if it will be completed by that date. How it will all work out is anyone's guess, but John has advised us to go with the flow. That is what we are attempting to do! 

He and Laura invited us down to the pond for stew and a bonfire on Saturday night. My goodness they have been so good to us!

Sunday was what they call a Service Sunday where teams from the church went to various places in the community and tried to make a difference. In our case we went with the team to the homeless shelter to do some gardening.

I am woefully out of practice that's for sure! Below is Will weeding the beds in what they call pocket parks on the main intersection of town.

We watched the women's basketball final at Fairy Cross and was that ever entertaining. Those women!

Okay, so I think I've covered all the anxiety business, and believe me it is low because who could stay down when there are daily treats for the senses? And yes, it is really this pink! No filters for this gal.

Dogwoods are blooming ALL over town. 

And the pink ones are to die for! The volume of blooms amazes me.

Seeing the tree from afar I was going crazy for the color. Up close.

I believe this is a plum tree overhanging the playground, simply laden with blossoms.

I've yet to see many tulips so perhaps they don't grow here as well as some flowers?

Daffodils are mostly gone, but I think I heard from someone that there are late blooming ones, so maybe they are yet to come?

In many places the ground is covered with tiny purple flowers that I've heard various names for. I've taken oodles of flower photos that maybe I will just bunch together in one post as a feast for your eyes. On the river walk there are lots of plants coming back to life that I also want to highlight soon but I think Bruce will be home  any minute, meaning we are, believe it or not, going furniture shopping! 

Lastly on the walk I took this red door photo because I think our new home has this same screen door that I'm thinking of painting hunter green. What do you think?

Holy cow, no birds Gail? Of course there will be birds!! 

Many of the goldfinch have been, or are in the process of being transformed and I for one, am amazed!

Our bluebirds are not so happy when others think they are going to perch on their home!

The house finch returned! 

Here's something to marvel at.


I took the above on March 18, well look at it now!

So this is Spring, huh? 

Isn't it just glorious?

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead