Friday, October 9, 2009

Expectations

I finally figured out what was making me so anxious about this show--there is an expectation that I'm somebody, when we all know that's not true. Let me restate that--I am somebody--a wife, mother, sister and friend--just not in the artistic sense yet. I'm trying.... In today's paper the art columnist described the gallery, "Local art hot spot, Comma..." He did not run one of my photographs, which is just as well. Secondly, they are pricing the pieces; believe you me, they are much, much higher than I would, which most likely translates into no sales. Only five more days to go! I read in a post from Matt's blog about the Obama's art choices. What really struck me was a quote that said something along these lines: The pieces have real "Wall Power"--very colorful. I'm going to think that way when choosing pieces to print from now on! Wall Power all the way baby!

I'm including a couple of kitchen shots with today's post because I'm a bit crazy for photography. When I see the light a certain way, or something is colorful, I just can't help myself. You are good to indulge me....

This is the marvelous drawer Bruce made for our pantry. The pantry is narrow, deep, and dark, making things hard to locate in the back. As you can see I have my oils, vinegars, and sauces in one neat spot. The skylight is above this, making everything sparkle.

This is our counter fruit bowl fresh from the dishwasher. Although I thought I was randomly placing the fruit in the bowl, I just liked the way it looked. That's a tea towel from Crate & Barrel underneath.

When I posted the slideshow the other day, I neglected to mention something I hope you'll find interesting. Central Florida may now have leaves that change, but it doesn't mean we don't have our own version of fall color. Remember I mentioned I took the long way home? I was driving along when all of a sudden I came upon this gorgeous scene.
I wish I used my Panasonic because I think it would have been better, but the Nikon was the closest on the seat. Anyway, as far as the eye could see, there were small yellow wildflowers blooming. What a treat for both the eyes, and the soul. As well, along the roadways there was a beautiful grass-like plant with almost golden tassels swaying in the breeze. I suspected it might be goldenrod, which after a bit of checking, confirmed my suspicions. Here is something amazing I found in Wikipedia, or at least it is to me. I've always had an extreme fascination with Thomas Edison.
Industrial use
"Inventor Thomas Edison experimented with goldenrod to produce rubber, which it contains naturally.[6] Edison created a fertilization and cultivation process to maximize the rubber content in each plant. His experiments produced a 12 foot tall plant that yielded as much as 12 percent rubber. The rubber produced through Edison's process was resilient and long lasting. The tires on the Model T given to him by his friend Henry Ford were made from goldenrod. Examples of the rubber can still be found in his laboratory, elastic and rot free after more than 50 years. However, even though Edison turned his research over to the U.S. government a year before his death, goldenrod rubber never went beyond the experimental stage." Simply amazing!

And then there are the golden rain trees blooming throughout the city. So who says we don't have fall color?

Did I mention the heat? Oh my it's been hot, all week over 90 degrees. I read in yesterday's paper that the temperature on the day of my beach trip was the hottest, October 7th since 1992. No end is in sight as of this post. Of course, I could be freezing like it is in Chicago. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, however, Jonathan mentioned snow is predicted for the weekend. Matt turned on the heat in London. Unfathomable. Yours truly will be out being a street vendor for about 17 hours--Lord help me! Actually the market hours on Sunday are extended until 6pm because of the Pride parade which runs on the street alongside the market. Sadly, last year that was one of the worst sale days, so it's not for that reason, more a logistical problem of not being able to retrieve our vehicles. Maybe this year we'll be pleasantly surprised.

News flash!! The Capital Grille passed final inspection yesterday! You knew he could do it, didn't you? Two more tough weeks until turnover which will require travel, travel, and then some. It is kinda sad that Mr. Bruce will be unable to be there with me on Tuesday night, although I know he will be in spirit. Remember, this whole gig was his idea.

1 comment:

matt said...

i love the photo with the banana and apples. real wall power! ;)

Back at the Homestead