Friday, October 16, 2009

Say People!

My sweet friend Kelly brought a gift to the show the other night which I opened once I got home. It was so busy at the gallery, however I wish she could have seen my reaction when I saw it because it made me laugh.

It seems as if the predicted cold front is really going to appear, maybe this evening. Ushering it in was a little rain yesterday afternoon which produced a lovely evening sky. Here's one I took down at the lake of the water...

A little different than I usually post on the blog but I kinda liked it. My blog is the place where I try to show you through pictures what I'm up to. Rarely do I post things on here that I'm thinking of selling unless you tell me otherwise. On occasion I've heard from a few of you when you particularly like something, prompting me to think maybe others will as well. I decided to print the one I'm currently using as a header although I can't remember if your comments led me to do so. Nevertheless, it is in my baskets and this Sunday, Lord willing, I'll be showing it in a smallish canvas.

One of the people at the show said my stuff was somewhat post-modern, a term I've never really understood. Another woman, who has three flower canvases from me, was disappointed that I had no flowers on display. Speaking of which, it may seem simple to get a great flower shot, but friends, I've discovered it's anything but. I can't even count the number of flower pictures I've taken with very few ending up on paper, or canvas. You either have to have super great lighting or an imaginative angle to get people to take notice. Furthermore, it seems as if the more exotic the flower, the less people want it. Thus my fixation with daisies which I call "the people's flower." Accessible, inexpensive, and uncomplicated--that seems to be what they want. One bloom that is particularly hard to image is an orchid. Robert Mapplethorpe did outstanding orchid shots as you can see here: Florals

I'm supposed to do an Art Stroll tonight in Baldwin Park which was a stupid idea I agreed to. Three days of selling is too much in one week--I guess that would be four if you count the gallery. To answer the question that is probably on your mind--no sales as far as I know at the gallery...

The weather is threatening but I guess I'll go pack the car for a 5:00 departure time. Bruce finally got home last evening around 8:45 completely worn out. He's been traveling for four days so many weeks now; it's wearing him down and I plain miss him. As such, he'll come over to BP when he decides to leave the office and hang out with me....

Can you believe I'm one shy of my 600th post??? Where has the time gone?

1 comment:

matt said...

that shirt is funny. :)

Back at the Homestead