Friday, August 6, 2010

On the Kitchen

Some folks can't imagine that I cook dinner for myself every night regardless if Bruce is home. I can't imagine not. Often times there are leftovers from Monday night, but most nights I start from scratch. Occasionally I even bake, however, these days I try and keep that to a minimum. One of those occasions arose on Wednesday. I just had to have that most delicious pound cake that I think I've already told you about. This time I borrowed the pan Corrine uses when she makes it. The loaf pan is about a foot long, a size that I've never encountered before. 

Because I've been cooking/baking for years and years, most times things come out just as planned. This time not so much. Although I used a toothpick to check for doneness, the toothpick was wrong. I should have used a piece of spaghetti as I've often done. Anyway, once the cake cooled, I discovered the apex was not entirely cooked. Disappointing to say the least. Nonetheless, here is my breakfast of champions:

Those peaches were mighty good as well. There are some in my readership that may cringe at the following recipe, you know who you are. To them I say, hit page down right about now!

Whipping Cream Pound Cake
2 sticks butter (preferably room temp)
5 eggs (ditto room temp)
3 c cake flour
3 c sugar 
1/2 pint whipping cream
1 1/2 t vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour tube cake pan. (alternatively, two loaf pans or the jumbo one I got from Corrine) Cream butter & sugar thoroughly; add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add whipping cream and cake four alternately to mixture, beating continuously. Add vanilla and beat four minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour & 15-20 minutes, or until done. Cool and enjoy!

I love my kitchen. It is bright and roomy.  Seeing all my colorful dishes makes me happy:
I've just changed out my kitchen valance, and although this picture isn't great because of the lighting, you get the idea--more color!
A week or two ago I was thinking how infrequently I write about the kitchen. Unlike some rooms of the house, this one is used every day. As such, I considered what I couldn't do without in my kitchen, say if I had to move to a tiny place with little storage. With that in mind, here are some of my favorite things:
I have loads of tools, but these are probably the most important. Unlike cooking shows where they always leave lots of stuff in either the bowl or the pan, I get every last drop with my collection of rubber scrapers. Love them! Waste not, want not you know.
For Christmas Bill always gives me a gift card to places he thinks I'll like. I got these wonderful bowls from William Sonoma, and although I still have my glass ones, these are my go-to bowls.

Many years ago we bought this wooden cutting board at the Winter Park Art Festival. Used multiple times ever day, I'll be very sad if anything every happens to it. The knife I splurged on from Bloomingdale's, and am I glad I did.

Speaking of knives, I only have two remaining. I'm talking about steak knives we received as a wedding gift. Even though we're nearing our 37th wedding anniversary, our love has never dulled, but these knives sure have! Mostly I use them when I want to cut something in my hand as demonstrated below:
Perfect for cutting hard boiled eggs for salad.

Another cutting tool I use all the time:
Here I'm showing parsely, but I cut up all manner of ingredients, including, but not limited to chicken for stir fry, sausage, bacon for soup bits, peaches, you name it. They are keepers!

These pot holders look pretty grungy, however, they are just the right size. Anymore, with the super sizing of all products, it's hard to find ones that don't overwhelm both your hand and the hot pot.

Sadly, they are placed on a William Sonoma dish towel I'd purchased for Mom Peck for Christmas. Never used. :(

Rounding out the line up, here's a collection of must haves:

Oxo makes the greatest kitchen tools in my book. Somehow I'd misplaced my peeler. I searched high and low to find the exact one. Nothing works better. I haven't had an electric can opener in years after discovering this gem. The measuring spoons are ideal as is the little spatula.

Not pictured is my large cast iron skillet. More years ago than I can remember, my mom gave it to me, probably because of our big family. I used it when the kids were home and I use it still. No kitchen should be without one!

If you read this blog with any regularity, you've figured out that I'm a creature of habit. I can do spontaneity on occasion, however for the most part, I love a routine. Because I've always been a breakfast, lunch, dinner kind of girl, I still am. I could no more have a bowl of cereal for dinner,  than I could have a German Shepherd. Both are extremely unappealing to me.  So that's why I still cook. I like to.


No comments:

So This is Springtime