Skip to main content

A Quickie

Much to my surprise, I had to leave my BRAND NEW computer at the Apple store and needless to say, this did not make me happy. My impression prior to getting there was that they would take off the face, retrieve the card, and I'd be on my way. Didn't work out that way.

The "genius" took it in the back and most likely turned it on it's side to shake it out, much like what I'd tried, returning shortly to report that they'd have to work on it later. Boo hoo!
I'm very happy I'd not given my old computer away just yet because in a very cavalier tone, at least to my ears, he said they'd need to keep it for three days! Now, if I'm away from the house, say on vacation, I'm good with no computer around. Not so much at home. Anyway, having plugged the old one back in, I'm even more aware of the speed, or really, the lack thereof. Oddly enough though, it's once again reading my external hard drives. Go figure.

The door is still in limbo with the glass man coming this morning to give me an estimate.

In the meantime I've been reading an excellent novel, The Lotus Eaters. I won't go too much into the plot because this review http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/books/review/Trussoni-t.html from the NYT does that for me, but I will tell you it's got me thinking. My brother Pat served in the Vietnam war as a Green Beret. Reading this book made me realize that I know very little about the time he spent there and what he did. Seems to me he worked as a medic (?) in a village and if my memory is accurate, I now realize it must have been HELL. When I think that he was so young it makes me all the sadder. Which makes me think about all those young men in the Middle East as I type. Which further makes me think that whining about not having an excellent computer for a few days is mighty lame. Mighty lame indeed.

Lastly I leave you with an image I had printed on canvas; although I thought it might sell, to date it is still hanging around.




1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bodies of Water

Raise your hand if you think you can identify the location of this lovely scene? Before our excursion on Saturday, I certainly would have kept my arm straight by my side because I would have had no clue. This is the park on the shores of East Lake Tohopekaliga in downtown St. Cloud, Florida. I've included Florida because there is a town named the same in Minnesota, not far from a restaurant Bruce built, and there might just be someone from Minnesota that comes across this blog and thinks, that's not my town! 
At any rate, Bruce's superintendent in Plano is doing a fabulous job which means Mr. Peck is not having to kill himself, performing as both Project Manager, and the field Super. It's about time that he got a bit of a break, so when I asked him if he was up for a Saturday excursion to St. Cloud, he agreed. Both of us have driven by the exit to this little town on countless occasions, but never had either of us actually been there before. 28 miles from Orlando, it i…

And Just Like That....

another weekend has arrived! My, how the time flies when you are old. The date for our move to Vancouver in early July just keeps getting closer and closer! In the meantime, we are staying busy.

Matt and Tom have an anniversary coming up, yes, it has been three years already at the end of the month. You will not be surprised that I made a quilt to honor the occasion which I sent a week or so ago, thinking it would take some time. You never really know. In this instance it took only one week and since I sent it to Matt's workplace, he opened it right up and sent me a text to say he loved it! That was a relief because it is a little different than some quilts I've made. When I had only the top pieced Bruce was a little skeptical of the end result, however, after the addition of spiral quilting, and ORANGE binding, he was a convert!
For a touch of whimsy, I used a fabric with drawn kitty cats for Tom. The beginning of the spiral is somewhat sketchy, but I did the best that I coul…

The Good along with the Bad

Life sure takes some unexpected turns, doesn't it? Early last week, I heard from our sister-in-law, Ruth, that her father was gravely ill and not expected to recover. It came on suddenly, and within a week or so, he died from congestive heart failure. Her dad, Jack, was a good man, always ready with a joke or a funny saying, one of which was that every time you greeted him, asking after his well being, he responded by saying, "I'm vertical and ventilating!" Apparently, we were not the only ones he said that to because when the funeral mass began, the priest had all 200 folks stand up and said out loud to Jack in his casket that we were all standing for him and were "vertical and ventilating!" That brought on a good laugh from everyone.  We took Maureen with us, and sister Lisa and her husband Danny were there, as was, of course, our brother Pat.
Jack told his family he was more than ready to go, having lived a full life with no regrets. When it is time for …