Friday, August 27, 2010

A Quickie

Much to my surprise, I had to leave my BRAND NEW computer at the Apple store and needless to say, this did not make me happy. My impression prior to getting there was that they would take off the face, retrieve the card, and I'd be on my way. Didn't work out that way.

The "genius" took it in the back and most likely turned it on it's side to shake it out, much like what I'd tried, returning shortly to report that they'd have to work on it later. Boo hoo!
I'm very happy I'd not given my old computer away just yet because in a very cavalier tone, at least to my ears, he said they'd need to keep it for three days! Now, if I'm away from the house, say on vacation, I'm good with no computer around. Not so much at home. Anyway, having plugged the old one back in, I'm even more aware of the speed, or really, the lack thereof. Oddly enough though, it's once again reading my external hard drives. Go figure.

The door is still in limbo with the glass man coming this morning to give me an estimate.

In the meantime I've been reading an excellent novel, The Lotus Eaters. I won't go too much into the plot because this review http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/books/review/Trussoni-t.html from the NYT does that for me, but I will tell you it's got me thinking. My brother Pat served in the Vietnam war as a Green Beret. Reading this book made me realize that I know very little about the time he spent there and what he did. Seems to me he worked as a medic (?) in a village and if my memory is accurate, I now realize it must have been HELL. When I think that he was so young it makes me all the sadder. Which makes me think about all those young men in the Middle East as I type. Which further makes me think that whining about not having an excellent computer for a few days is mighty lame. Mighty lame indeed.

Lastly I leave you with an image I had printed on canvas; although I thought it might sell, to date it is still hanging around.




1 comment:

Nancy said...

Was just thinking about Pat and how little we know about what went on, so it is weird you mention it!!

So This is Springtime