Thursday, December 17, 2020

Critters and Cold!

When you read about Manatee Springs State Park what stands out more than manatee sightings are deer sightings. As in, they will come right into your campsite. (should you have missed the first post about this trip, click HERE)  We learned first hand that, in this instance, you can believe what you read on the internet. The first time we saw some was just before dark on our first night as they casually walked down the road in front of our space, quickly darting between ours and the next closest sight, heading into the woods behind us. An excellent way to start a camping trip!

Whenever I plan a trip it is usually about a month out; predicting the weather is well, not happening, other than thinking it might be too hot, usually a safe bet here in Florida. Rarely does one have to worry about cold weather, so it came as a surprise that on this trip it was not only going to be cold, but very cold for a Floridian! Our first night it was chilly, but the second night, whoa Nelly it was cold. How cold? See for yourself!


The clarity of the photo is somewhat compromised due to early morning light, as well as gloved hands! Should you be wondering, sleeping was just fine, in fact I kind of like it after having endured heat for the better part of the year. What is a bit difficult is preparing food, however, once my hot tea was made, it began to warm me up just a bit. The days were crisp and cool and we filled them with plenty of trips down the boardwalk to see the manatees and whatever else we could. With crystal clear water at the junction of the river and spring run, we could see the bottom. As I stood watching, a Cormorant came swimming by with its head underwater.

We soon discovered why...chasing a fish. Watching them, the fish faster than the Cormorant, they kept swimming around in circles in the clear water below us.
The photographs are no match for the actual experience unfortunately. The fish, btw, got away! 

On Tuesday we saw about twelve manatees in the water below; being the first cold snap I suppose that the river water is still warm enough that they are not seeking refuge in the spring run just yet. These gentle giants seem to be able to hold their breath forever as it was rare that one came up for air, making timing that activity very difficult for a photograph. 
While eating lunch one day, we heard movement in the bushes and look who came for a look-see.
He'd come around the night before, finding himself wanting because we keep all foodstuff in the car, both day and night. Another night he came back as we were sitting by the campfire and when Bruce got up to shoo him away, he scampered up the tree!

Rarely do I see as many birds as I'd like, however, on this trip at least I saw some, including several Pileated Woodpeckers.
as well as a couple of Grebes in the water.
The most plentiful, and do I mean plentiful, bird we saw was the ugly Turkey Vulture, both in the sky,
and roosting in the trees.
They are super creepy and I imagine, no ones favorite bird! 

Could it have been any colder the next day? Why, yes it could, and it was!
Because it was SO cold, I put on my hat, boots and gloves and rode my bike over to the spring to see if there were more manatees visible. No, there were not because there was so much steam and fog rising from the warmer waters of the spring. Here's one shot, but I've got a few others I will share next time as they turned out very interesting. At least to me anyway.
An Egret in the mist.

Riding back to our site, woo hoo....look what I saw!
Later on, in yet another trip on the boardwalk, I stood watching the water and turned toward the shore, seeing a tiny bird on a swing which will take some serious looking to find. 
While watching for birds, I noticed a deer amongst the Cypress knees on one side of the boardwalk.
Wow, I thought this is very exciting indeed. Little did I know that soon I was in for even more excitement. Heading back towards the spring, I watched as what I thought was one deer walk under the boardwalk to the other side. Super neat.
Very exciting stuff watching the deer in their natural, as in not the parking lot, habitat. 
My goodness, do I see more? So hard to tell because they blend in so well with their environment.
Before my very eyes, I watched as four of them, yes, four began stepping into the water,
and swimming to the other side!!!
Good grief not only were my hands shaking, making a difficult shot even more so, my heart was bursting with joy at having witnessed something that was so natural to them in spite of the cold water.
This, dear ones, is why camping is awesome!!

More about other stuff next time....more cookies to be made. :)

your friend,

Gail














































No comments:

Back at the Homestead