Thursday, June 11, 2020

Thursday Morning

As I type, some of the Wood Duck family is roaming the backyard, the sun is shining and the windows are not covered in condensation because last night's rainfall was minimal. Along with that the sound of chainsaws fills the air as the clean up continues across the lake. I took the photo below on May 29th, and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine the look would change.
But now it has. We've since learned that the tornado was rated an F1 with 100 mph winds, touching down several times, causing the worst damage across the lake. The good news is that while there was destruction, no lives were lost.

Could 2020 become any worse? Maybe. That said, of course it could!

Instead of bemoaning, we should be rejoicing because, to date, we have been spared both the Coronavirus and now a tornado. We drove down Ferncreek again because I wanted another look in the sunshine, rather than the dismal gray weather from the weekend. In the photo below I'm standing on Ferncreek, where the tornado ripped through the greenery. You might recognize the stand of trees about the middle of the photo from previous photographs and we live just behind them.
Instead of the wall of green we were accustomed to seeing from our place, it now looks like this.
While I am very, very sad for those who have lost so much, most of that can be repaired in time, however, who knows how long it will take to once again become a green wall?

Instead of looking on the sad side, let's focus this post on the positive instead. I was thinking about the word cheerful, wondering how many people can claim that they feel that way in these trying times. Cheerful is a good word, don't you think? Perhaps I can bring a little cheer into your day with the following photographs. I hope so.
When it hasn't been raining like cats and dogs, we've had some spectacular sunsets of late. Mostly I notice them from the kitchen window as it reflects in the clouds outside. It is then that I grab my camera and head to the big lake, sometimes along the canal which is what I did the night that I took the photo above. This, my friends, is the Mallard family who I saw out in the water and as I walked along the extensive lakefront, they came to greet me. How fun is that? I knew I had not been seeing them around as much, apparently because they have been looking for larger digs.  Here is the remarkable sunset from last night, the likes of which would have been hard to believe if I had not seen it with my own eyes.
It must have been Tuesday that instead of practicing pickleball, we walked around Lake Davis which has come up about a foot following our almost daily rains. The cygnets are getting big, but aside from that I was thinking there was not much to photograph, that is until I spotted a solitary duckling with Mama in the grass.
One thing I had noticed was an abundance of cars parked around the lake, when normally there might be three or four, including a motorhome which really made me wonder what was going on. Well, as it turns out, we found out what was going on, and I was glad I had my camera. A Travelers Insurance commercial was being filmed one street over from the lake and we came across it. At one point a little boy emerged from the house next door to the filming, along with a bicycle. Turns out, he was staying, along with his Mother, at Grandma's house because she'd had shoulder surgery and needed help. The production crew needed a little boy to ride a bicycle in the commercial and when they saw him, well, he got the job. She's pictured in her sling, watching the action.
The main character, a woman, was being filmed kneeling, as if she were gardening, in front of the white house. I said to Grandma that I bet they spent loads of time casting her, whereas, because her grandson was available, he got the job! All the crew members were masked, in case you are wondering.

Back at the ranch, as they say, one afternoon the postman came through the gate with a package, much to my surprise. I was thinking that I could not remember ordering anything and indeed I had not. Thanks to Joelle, I have a new puzzle that, while cute, will seriously test my newfound skill set. Turns out neither she, nor her late Mother could finish it, so I'm not getting any grand notions that I will have more success. Nevertheless, it sure brought a smile to my face!
As did the surprise appearance of a Tufted Titmouse on the plant shelf by the orchids, fading, by the way. Opening the door to head down to the lake to visit with the "girls", there he was, and for long enough so that I went back inside, grabbed my phone and camera, and still he stayed put. I was beginning to wonder if he were sick. Normally they move about fast and furious.
In time though, he flew up to the top of the opened screen door, allaying my fears, but then he got stuck flying around the ceiling, trying to find a way out! Going inside to get a broom, I tried holding the handle up near him that he might find a perch that I might help him out. Turns out, he did just fine on his own.

Generally I've been not totally enamored of the Common Gallinule, that is until I really looked at the photo below. Taken in the right light, I was finally able to appreciate the color nuances.
Before this I was thinking they were entirely black, with a little white. Those cute tail feathers! Of course the beak has always been appreciated, but who knew they had brown feathers too? This article, from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, describes how so many people are discovering the joy of birdwatching during the pandemic. Welcome to the party newcomers! By extension, those amongst you who before had no real fascination with birds, have been forced to from reading this blog! Imagine if I were a better photographer?

Let's go on a field trip, shall we?

For the most part, our days are spent on property, however, after the dreary weekend, with a tornado no less, yesterday seemed like a good day to take our bikes out, so we returned to Moss Park to ride through the newly opened campground. Out of the 52 spaces, three were occupied. Number 20 was my favorite spot, but even this enthusiastic camper is having second thoughts due to bugs, torrential rain, and the heat! Lord have mercy, it was hot out there! We read and picnicked under the trees, but the air was so still, it was almost too hot to eat.  We had some visitors.
Aside from the practicing crew team, there were more birds than people at the park! While we were in the campground area we discovered a very long fishing dock which could be a big draw for Bruce.
Finally finishing Cross Creek, in some ways, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings has almost convinced me that there is more to like than dislike about Florida.

Here are a few sentences to ponder:

"I do not understand how any one can live without some small place of enchantment to turn to. In the lakeside hammock there is a constant stirring the the tree-tops, as thou on the stillest days the breathing of the earth is yet audible."

Trying to remember her words as I looked at the still trees along the shore while sweating like nobody's business.
While standing on the dock, it was hard to discern whether the loud croaking we heard was a frog or an alligator, however, there is no mistaking the call of a Red Winged Blackbird.
Recently I met a woman who has a place here, and also owns a house on Lake Mary Jane, the site of Moss Park. She told me that the two big islands I was seeing were rookeries with thousands of nesting shorebirds. No wonder there are so many Ibises and Wood Storks, whose cries we could hear while eating our lunch. Whole flocks would fly over to the shore nearby. While they are not my favorite bird, I do find their wings amazing, as has been previously documented in this space. Seeing a young Woo Stork, before the scales form on its head was a highlight.
Indeed, they are a strange bird. I'm still wondering what this behavior represents, the wings opened wide and strutting around like a peacock.
And although the flight feathers appear totally black, in the right light, they are actually a deep emerald green that I wish showed up more clearly.
After we got home yesterday, leaving because it was just plain too hot, I did a little research on these birds, learning, much to my surprise that they are not found everywhere as I'd assumed, rather only in Mexico and parts of Florida, Georgia, and the South Carolina coast. During the lockdown I've been following a Facebook group called the Self Isolating Bird Club based in Britain, seeing birds I've never before seen. Frankly, I've been both smitten and amazed. Now I know that should I post a Wood Stork photograph, chances are most of the group has never before seen one of this fairly common Central Florida bird. Isn't the world amazing?

I'll close with one of my big time favorites, the Sandhill Crane whose head I love so much because of the heart shape.
I so wish we lived in a place where they are found in huge flocks which must be a sight to see. Their wingspan is, get this, 78", while the Wood Stork has a wingspan of around 68". No doubt, probably the least useful bit of information you receive today, however, at least it is not bad news!

In other news, I'm having my hair cut today and Bruce is getting the oil changed in the car right now. Just the normal everyday stuff that we are all longing to return to without reservation. Here's hoping that will happen sooner, rather than later. In the meantime, I'm going to be birdwatching. How about you?

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead