Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Early Spring

Here I go again, matching the flowers at church! 

Both Cynthia and myself were admiring the arrangement when she asked about taking my photo and I said, "why not?" It's not half bad, unlike most of the photos I am featured in, precisely why I am more often than not behind the camera!

While we were up there I noticed for the first time that the Bible on the lectern is in large print! Now that's a darn good idea, isn't it?

Although I'm still not sure I would be able to read it without my glasses!  

Another Mother's Day is behind us, marking nearly twenty years since I was a motherless child. Funny though, in spite of the fact that mine was far from perfect and I mean FAR, memories of the woman who gave life to me are mostly of the later years of her life. What will my children remember about me? If later years memories are most prominent, then I suspect pickleball will enter into their thoughts. How it has made us very happy to be active nearly every day. Not to mention meeting all kinds of nice folks. In the last week or two, a man has been coming to the Dover Shores courts most mornings without a paddle yet wants to play. Each day someone will loan him a paddle and tirelessly help remind him how to play the game. Bruce has been so kind to David who we think is struggling with dementia. And it's not just Bruce, any number of players, who were all complete strangers to us a few weeks ago, patiently endure the games when he plays. It's a really sweet sight to witness.

So, back to MD, Matt and Tom both called and sent a gorgeous floral arrangement. 

David brought the orchid along with other goodies that undoubtedly Michelle picked out. Speaking of which, there were two new 1,000 piece puzzles in the bag. Yikes, I never do 1,000 piece. Earlier, while eating lunch, I hatched an idea and that is to get her to help me with them!! 

With a little help from Bruce, I finally finished this one that has been on the table for a few weeks.

Bruce got me the cutest card ever. Well ever is a bit of a stretch, but darn cute.

He washed my car, fixed up the front of our place with fresh mulch, AND made a frame for the heart above the door.

I had to chuckle a bit while looking at the photograph above. In this small space we have more art than many people have in their whole house! And how do I know this, you ask? Selling prints for ten years will teach one a thing or two! I cannot tell you the number of people who told me that their walls were empty. Yikes, that would never work for the two of us. In fact, each time we have moved, the minute the furniture is placed, the art goes on the walls. 

That reminds me, five years ago on Mother's Day, while Bruce was in Plano, TX with a project, the twins took me to lunch, followed by a viewing of the very space you are seeing above, arranged by David. Not that it looked like the above, as every thing in the whole place was varying shades of vanilla, but you get the idea. The two of them, after we did a Facetime with Bruce, pretty much dictated the price and the rest is history. Woo hoo!

Bill and Fallon brought pizza, and David and Michelle were there for a little while before leaving to visit  her Mom in Kissimmee. Jonathan called, so it was four for four! I must have done something right. Late last month he sent me a beautiful National Geographic coffee table book that is just as wonderful as it sounds. As is common with us, we talked about good stuff to watch on television. I began telling him about a series we had just completed when he reminded me that it was he who had recommended it! Hell to get old! Anyway, Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime was highly entertaining. 

Can you believe it? Almost half a post without a single bird picture??? We'll see if I can resist? I certainly could not in my last post that if you missed it you can read here

A trip to the library was in order last week and I saw two things of note during that drive. One is the torn down building at the corner of Rosalind and Central to make way for the Lake Eola expansion.

Secondly, on the drive home.....a distant fire!

Taken at the intersection of Gore and Orange Avenue, it was hard to tell where it was coming from. I tried calling Michelle, thinking it was perhaps on Michigan, however, it went to voicemail.  Heading south on Orange Avenue,  I was relieved it was not on Michigan, but sad for whomever's house on Miller Street was up in flames. 

Finally, after nearly two months with flowers, we have the tiniest geranium bloom that I am hoping with fill out in the next few days. 

Somehow I agreed to head the Resident Relations committee here in the village which had actually gone pretty well for the last two years because we had nothing to do because of Covid! That time is past and our committee is in the process of planning a big 4th of July party down at the pool beside the lake. With limited funds to spend, our property manager came up big time for us by asking some of our regular vendors for donations. With a wonderful response, the pieces are falling into place. She'd found a caterer that also has a little spot in a food hall in Avalon Park. Since none of us had ever heard of the barbecue place, Bruce and I drove out there to check it out. Before this visit, Avalon Park was a mystery to us as it is located a good ways east of the city. With all new buildings, it looks very fresh indeed. The food hall is also new and cute.

There are about ten different choices ranging from Cajun to barbecue, and lots in between. Here's what we were looking for.

We were happy to report to the committee that it was very tasty indeed.

One evening we went over to Johnny's to celebrate that windfall I spoke about recently. The money we didn't know we had to refresh your memory. I tried a tiny bit of whiskey just for fun.

That too turned about to be very tasty! 

The weather. Always something to be said about the weather, if only for posterity. Last week was broiling! Not as hot as it has been in Austin, according to Jonathan, but plenty hot. Fortunately it has cooled off a bit with highs only in the mid-80's. Thank God! I absolutely hate the heat anymore!

Okay, above I made no promises, so it is bird time! Remember how I've explained that when you hear a bunch of Blue Jays screaming that oftentimes it means a raptor is in the area? You should have watched this poor hawk getting a dressing down from about three very loud Blue Jays.

Eventually, after countless "dive bombs", the exasperated hawk flew away.

And here we have a Cardinal youngster that stopped in today.

Mom was in our tree while Dad is in the Magnolia tree outside the gate. Super exciting!

Another thing we did last week was visit Maureen who is not doing well at all. Today would have been our sister Carol's 67th birthday had she lived. There were once five Price girls, now there are four, and sadly we may be down to three in the coming months. Or maybe not, is our hope! Heading over to see her once I hit publish!

your friend, 

Gail 

No comments:

Back at the Homestead