Monday, January 30, 2023

Sky Magic

At this time of year, it is all about the magic in our skies. 

Perhaps it is the lesser amount of humidity? Why are the sunrises and sunsets so magnificent in the winter? Let's ask Google, shall we?

According to this paper, called "Your Eyes are Not Deceiving You", humidity does have something to do with it. Nearly every morning this week, the sunrise behind our place has been nothing short of spectacular.

And to think that there is a Great Blue Heron's nest in the top of the pine tree across the water! Wouldn't that have been fun should one of them have decided to fly off during this tremendous sunrise? That would be quite a photograph.

Sitting down to write before looking at this week's photos, I thought perhaps there was not all that much to share. I thought wrong! Beginning with last Sunday's trip to Advent Health after church to visit our pickleball friend, Ray. How I wish I'd had this expansive view when I was in the hospital!

Ray has no immediate family in Orlando prompting us to fill in for at least an hour. The whole group at Dover Shores, but mostly Jossie who made the basket, and Kathy who provided one, chipped in and presented him with some goodies once he had been released. 

Just a few of the fun folks we play with. More often than not, I am not in photos because I am taking them, however, Jennifer took this while I was in the center turning in some lost and found items. Ray, with his hand in a bandage, returned to play this morning, albeit without most of another finger. I chided him because his finger was not dressed well enough and his response was "yes, mother". Seriously, we are all worried that the infection will return if he's not keeping it clean. Only time will tell. 

I've been meaning to surprise Cynthia with the photo below.

Bruce was so enamored of her Christmas card painting that he went out and bought a frame, displaying it on our kitchen table next to a funky little light from Ikea. Her artistic talents are endless.

Here's an Orange Bundt cake I made this week with a fancier name than that. Maybe more exotic would be appropriate. Mexican in origin to be precise.
Using recipes from the newspaper used to be oh so common, however, not so much anymore. This one from the Thursday food section used whole oranges blended into the batter. It's a keeper!

More sky magic, this time a sunset over Lake Pineloch.
The very FIRST large canvas that I sold was very similar. I called it Solid Gold.  Speaking of photos from a long while ago, just yesterday I was reminded of the site where first I began posting photos online. If you have a few minutes to kill, here's a link to some of those oldies but goodies. Although I have not looked at them in ages, there are a few good ones in the mix if I do say so myself. :)

Two big things happened this past week, one of which is I cleaned out my side of the closet, getting rid of so many things I'd not worn for a long time. I then organized everything not only by sleeve length, but by color as well.
I wonder what it says about a person who has almost no solid clothing? Your thoughts?
It is always a little painful, especially if some of the items are home made, but it had to be done. Softening the blow just a little bit was the timely declaration to Leslie and Patti about said clean out. Leslie perked up immediately, reminding me that she makes new clothes out of old clothes. Thus, instead of us taking this huge pile to Goodwill, Leslie parked beside our car and transferred it to hers. Hopefully she can work some clothes magic! 

Secondly, some very exciting news....we got a patio!! Beginning with the irrigation folks coming to rearrange the sprinklers.
What is immediately evident in the photo below is how awful it was looking. Not anymore my friends! Bruce stayed home one day to supervise the action.
It looks so much better, especially because our neighbors, Sherry and David, did the same. This is a good before photo.
And here we go a few days later. Bruce put some soil in to even things out but there is still a little work to be done.
We are all just thrilled with how it turned out, making the area far more user friendly! Instead of one stoop outside the door, we now have this!
Can we all agree that the changing sky is magic? Below was the start of a very chilly day.
Taking photos in Florida during the winter is a pleasure with such clear air along with wonderful light.
While sitting at my desk I noticed a large flying bird out the window, prompting me to jump up and find out what it was, although I was pretty confident that it was a pelican. Indeed it was flying around in circles over the lake although from the photo above you wouldn't know it! But, with a title such as the one I used today, I figured the photo above deserved some love for the bright blue sky and the puffy clouds reflecting in the water below.

Yet another shot over Lake Pineloch just before sunset. 

Late one afternoon Bruce and I went to the pool to wait for sunset and it turned out to be a winner to the tenth degree. The sky kept getting better and better, turning the lake side buildings and windows orange.
Just when you think it cannot get any more colorful, it does.
A Crescent Moon anyone?
Having taken hundreds of sunset photos over the years, I have to say that this one was one of the most spectacular because the light on the underside of the clouds glowed like nothing I've ever seen before. 

That is one of the most magical things about sky watching, a new day brings a new view, some mundane and some out of this world. I suppose, when you stop and think about it, that is really the pattern to our days; some days there is magic, while others not so much. 

Then again, variety is the spice of life or so they say!

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead