Sunday, July 9, 2023

A River Runs Through It

The Hiwassee River and the Valley River merge here in town, along the banks of which I walk when I mention the river walk. If you are of a certain age, you might be somewhat familiar with the Tennessee Valley Authority and how they changed the lives of the people of Appalachia. Most of the time for the better because they controlled flooding and brought power to one of the nation's poorest regions. On the other hand, those folks whose towns were buried under water might have felt differently. In any case, there are many dams in the region and to date we have visited three of them. Mostly on the days when we wake up and it is raining, making pickleball out of the question. So far they have been 25 miles or less from our cozy home away from home. There are so few cars on the road that traveling, unless it is super steep or crazy winding is pretty darn nice. At least it is from where I sit in the passenger seat!

I suppose that I've told you very little about Murphy, perhaps because I know so little? I still don't know a whole lot, but we have begun picking up the weekly newspaper that serves both Murphy and Andrews, well actually all of Cherokee County, including news from those two towns along with some smaller villages. Get this---they include the arrest report! Mostly drugs or domestic violence, both of which are regrettable. The latest census shows that Murphy is smaller than most high schools in Orlando, well maybe even smaller than some middle schools. Closing in on, ready? 1,700 people! Certainly that does not count the "summer people" of which there are plenty of those. Mostly from Florida from the looks of the license plates in the WalMart parking lot which we frequent, well frequently because we are still stocking up with staples. We have been blessed to have supplies here, but every once in a while we discover something that is a wee bit out of date. I went looking for bay leaves in the spice cupboard and pulled this one down. How long do you think it has been since a jar of McCormick spice was 39 cents??

I received permission to throw it out! After a little sleuthing, I came across this article that at least gave me a ballpark figure. Should you be curious, well, you know what to do!

The first damn we visited was the Nottely Dam. In the picture we are approaching and will soon be crossing said dam located in Blairsville, GA, not far from the North Carolina border.

Look at how dreary the weather is!!! As I am no expert on dams, Bruce has done his best to explain the concept. Maybe, just maybe, by the time we leave I will get it, but for now, I am still learning. This is maybe what you would call the underside of where we were driving?

After parking, we walked alongside the river which included a tiny waterfall.

Should you be a fan of the color green you are in the right place today because there will be plenty of shades of your favorite color. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that, when it rains a lot in the summer, it is going to be GREEN. 

And when you are in Western North Carolina there is going to be steam on the water, as well as plenty of rocks.


Would you look at that? More green.
One purchase we made before leaving was our hiking shoes, both pairs made by Merrill. They have proved to be Invaluable on the  muddy trails.
I am puzzling about the soil which contains lots of clay, that sticks to your shoes btw. Anyway, I wonder how far is clay present from Georgia? Isn't that the state that you most associate with clay soil?

The above is a nearby trail that we hiked in the drizzle. One thing that is especially interesting to me is the prevalence of mushrooms to be found on so many damp, fallen trees. My photo library now has a compilation of all of the mushrooms I've seen and I will add to it as more present themselves.
This is usually how it goes...Bruce way out in front as I am a slow poke, in part because I walk slowly and in part because I dawdle, taking photographs of everything I see that interests me, a description that will surprise no one. 
Wait...no Bruce! Let's go back to my library and find him. Stands out because he is in blue, right? Something else that has been invaluable are the walking sticks. Oh my yes! This was a pretty steep incline that would have been impossible for me without one.
So frilly and green!
Aren't they cute?  So that is one dam trip, but there are more to come!

Tomorrow marks four weeks since we've been here and so far the blogs are running way behind. Here's a little rundown in list fashion which I plan on returning to as time permits.

Since we have been here we have:

  • Seen fireflies, although it doesn't get dark here till so late.
  • I've read a signed copy of a novel that I found on the bookshelf here by Ron Rash, one of my favorites who hails from these parts. Perhaps you remember the novel, and later the film, named Serena? That is him. 
  • Had a scorpion in the bathroom sink!! Thankfully found by the man of the house and captured. 
  • Loving the sound of rain on a tin roof.
  • Been to a downtown art walk, an art festival and a movie at the tiny theater downtown. The movie, the latest Indiana Jones movie which I absolutely hated, cost for admission was $5.50! In the evening no less.
  • Made friends with the owners of a new wine bar.
  • Continue running into someone we have met just about everywhere we go.
  • Seen people whitewater rafting.
  • Gone to an art gallery
  • Seen two fawns!! Second one pictured below.
  • Hiked almost to the top of a waterfall. Almost being the operative word.
  • Played pickleball far less than we imagined, but we are meeting folks, so that's good.
  • Began attending the tiny, and I mean tiny, Episcopal church with windows made by the Tiffany company and built with wood from the congregants land. Everyone is old, including the priest!
Before you correct me on that, after seeing the very young organist, she is leaving in two weeks time! 

So there's a recap for now. I have loads of photos to share but for now my list will have to suffice lest I forget what we have been up to. 

Lastly, I took the photo below of the river running through Murphy and when I mentioned the location to John, formerly our landlord (still is really!) who now wants us to call him our neighbor, told me that this is called Lover's Leap according to Cherokee Indian legend. Think Romeo and Juliet and you probably can put two and two together. We have yet to visit the museum downtown that explains in more detail the history of the Cherokee Indians in this area, mostly that, as far as I currently know, were interred here before moving on to the Trail of Tears towards Oklahoma. But don't quote me on that just yet. 
Gosh it looks pretty doesn't it? Oh yea, it's been plenty hot but not nearly as hot as Florida!!

your friend,

Gail 















No comments:

Back at the Homestead