Tuesday, July 18, 2023

People and Places

 My goodness am I lucky to be writing this post? Emphatically that would be a yes! Last year at this time I was gravely ill, and if not for the help of Patti, Bruce and Dr. Parillo, my life might have ended that horrible day last July. Who would have thought when I wrote this post about the experience, that a year later I would be sitting at a little desk in a room with red curtains and big windows at the top of a small hill in Murphy, NC? What an excellent turn of events!

As is so often the case, when I mention to a new acquaintance that I have been blogging for a long time, which, btw, I don't lead with that information as I am far from a self-promoter, the questions come regarding my subject matter. That is a tricky question, but generally I answer that it has changed over the years and I pretty much write about what happens to the Pecks. Adding to that, I want to thank you for caring enough to visit Camera Crazy time and time again. 

So, let us get started with a new installment. It has quit raining. Not entirely, but not like it was. And yes, it is hot here, as is the rest of the country. The saving grace is that with lower humidity activities are tolerable. We are staying busy and keeping up with everything is proving difficult so in an attempt to cover a lot of ground I am going to show folks we have encountered in our travels, either here or out and about. 

Let's go!

During our visit to Curt and Nancy's cool mountaintop home last week we played pickleball above the clouds!

Their friends Willie and Bill from Arkansas were there for a visit and we played some fun games.

While on the subject of pickleball, here is Harry and Braedon, the oldest and youngest players at the Murphy courts.

Bruce was a little nervous, but held his own playing alongside Katrin, the best female player, humble and  such a pleasure to watch.

 In the recurring theme of living in a small town where everyone is connected, last Sunday following the service, noticing two women setting up to practice music, we asked about listening. Sure they replied. Well my goodness, were we glad that we did because they were so talented, playing multiple intruments each.
When I mentioned that we were pickleball players, Amanda (with the recorder) told us that her husband played as well. Racking my brain I was coming up short, however, Bruce was not coming up short, reminding me that we had seen him at Burger Boy, a delicious and inexpensive local restaurant that serves, you guessed it--burgers! Indeed. They were practicing to perform at the folk school in about a week which brings me to a few people with connection to said school.

A couple of Saturdays ago we drove to Hayesville, a nice little town on the other side of the folk school in Brasstown. One of the longest lasting classes at the folk school is woodcarving. Some people may find this link about the Brasstown Carvers of interest, if you like history that is. And while this lovely lady has not been at it since 1929, she does have a lifetime of experience. 

Unfortunately the gentleman in blue is blocking the other carver who is of a similar age. Our neighbor John was exhibiting his lawn furniture that he builds below us in one of the most pristine shops you will ever see. He and Laura donate all of the profits to local charities with last years donation a tidy sum. 

By now it will not surprise you to learn that we ran into several folks that we know. The festival had about 80 exhibiters, held in the town square. Performing cloggers!!

You guessed it, from the folk school. An audience participation round.

This young lady had the best view in town.

We enjoyed a delicious lunch in a stylish little place called Living Waters where I ordered my first Aperol Spritz, which was a winner for sure. 
Hayesville is about 18 miles from Murphy with amazing pickleball courts that we tried out with John, pictured way above in the blue shirt across from Bruce, and his wife Tammy. I was foolish enough to suggest we play against a 12 year old boy, and I think his grandmother who was younger than we are. I am pretty sure they put about nine points up before we finally began making points of our own. In the end, he was just too fast for us, but they only won by two. It was fun there and the views are incredible.

One weekend we visited Mary at her rental home near Fontana Lake where we were thrilled to meet her daughter who lives in Memphis. 
On our way to visit her, we drove through the Nantahala Gorge where many of you have gone whitewater rafting. Ages ago, I know that we did!
Another water related activity we visited was a place called Fire Creek where families were enjoying the cool, probably cold to a Floridian, mountain water.
Back in town let's attend the monthly art stroll, shall we?
Regarding downtown, it must be noted that they do a fantastic job with their generous flower displays. Just when I think they cannot get any better, they just keep growing.
Here is the inside of a terrific barbecue place that serves ample portions of some Southern favorites.
There is a lively brewery behind the restaurant where you can take your food should you choose to do so.

A few weeks ago I finally got my haircut by Tammy in a tiny little shop off the "four lane". Laura recommended her and so I took the plunge. To say that she was reasonable is an understatement.
While on the subject of reasonable, have I mentioned the Henn Theatre? 
$5.50 admission any show. We saw the new Indiana Jones film there and although the seats were very comfortable, the movie was absolutely dreadful. But I have told you my thoughts on that already, haven't I?

Brucer got out on the Valley River the other morning using the provided kayak here at Charlotte's Cottage.
If you can imagine, and I suspect that you can, it seems as if I have gone on long enough, so for now I will skip the local contest at the farmer's market and the little tomato fest.  That said, it is too good to skip, so look for it next time.

No, what I wanted to close with is something that Bruce and I talked about this morning while strolling on the River Walk. Basically, our impressions so far of living in a very, very small place. For the most part it is fantastic because there is almost no traffic, folks are really nice, and it is peaceful and quiet. There are a few things we are adjusting to though, such as there is basically only one park, one this, or one that. It is just a matter of getting used to different things and what's the harm in that? Nothing, in my book.

I believe I told you already that we are attending the tiny Episcopal church, where tomorrow night we will be playing bingo, if you please. There are mostly old folks, say 95% to be perfectly honest, but there is one family with two boys who seem to be so sweet. They are helping their dad ring the church bell at the close of service. Youth, that is really what this town lacks. 
They mostly move away as they get older or so we have been told. Perhaps these boys will be different? Time will tell as it always does.

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead