Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Homecoming

Homecoming, of the high school variety, is the main subject of today's post. Let me tell you, you won't want to miss this one because, while Jonathan tells me that it is somewhat common, homecoming in this small town, in the very most Western part of North Carolina, is nothing but common to this blogger.

Perhaps you remember last year when the pictures graced the back page of the front section of the Scout and I expressed my disappointment for missing seeing it in person? Although I had written it down on the calendar, if not for Bruce I would have missed it again!  As is so often the case, we have so many activities to do that forgetting some of them is what is common

I will get into some of those stories, but let's face it, this outing deserves top billing!

Acting like our Florida selves, we thought it best to arrive early to get a good seat. How did that work out? Plenty of empty seats! The sun was in our eyes big time as the band played a little number.

Apparently there was a time when more students joined the band, but although they were small in number, they did a great job of keeping the energy up once the game commenced.

Yup, that is pretty much it. 

As we were walking into the stadium, we saw the opponent's cheerleaders warming up.

Holy Cow did they cheer in spite of having nothing much to cheer about. I suppose if you had come all the way from Greenville, South Carolina to cheer at a football game you are going to give it your all.

Okay, game time!!

The action is quite close as you can see on the kickoff.

They love their football here in Murphy. Probably not everyone, but certainly a whole bunch!

The weather could not have been any more perfect and for those folks who participated in the night, the weather wasn't the only thing that was perfect. The team was on fire, the cheerleaders cheered their hearts out, and the homecoming court....we are almost there.

We sit right across from them as we love watching their enthusiasm. Another thing we loved was seeing them kneel down when a player was down on the field with a potential injury. It was all super sweet. 

The scoring was fast and furious and the half time score was enviable to teams, like say our own Florida State Seminoles, who although they had a victory on Saturday night, it was a wonder that they won at all with such a sad offense. 

The young girl sitting behind us was mighty happy when those 38 seconds ticked off, telling her Mother she could hardly wait for the half time show. The crowd was also very happy.

And so it began with the placing of the balloon archway created by none other than Rambling Rose Florist. Not exactly the right name, but something of that ilk. Nevertheless, even though the name might not ring a bell, you have seen several beautiful bouquets created by them when, for instance Matt and Tom, along with David and Michelle, both sent me gorgeous arrangements for my 70th birthday. You can see them in this post, the first of 2024. 

Look at this line up!!

I don't know what I was thinking, but I left my zoom lens at home, something I will not do next year. So, the couple comes out, actually I think around the balloon contraption and while she is announced they do some little fist bumping thing. Seriously, I have no idea how to describe it, so use your imagination! There were four seniors, maybe three juniors, several sophomores and freshman as well. The accomplishments and school activities were all announced as was their church affiliation. 

It will surprise exactly none of you that I do have photographs of each girl/gown/date but perhaps that would be too much? If not, let me know in the comments. Something like, "hey Gail, show me the lavender gown, will you?" Or perhaps the peach, ivory, teal....

I'm including this couple because it was amusing to see how they managed those gowns, with some fellows being a little more aggressive with their assistance. It is also worth noting that everyone was wearing athletic shoes and can you blame them? Oh my goodness these kids were so cute!

As we were leaving, following the crowning of the homecoming queen, we came across the above little couple as they were changing part of their outfits near the concession stand. I have no idea what their shoes were, but the woman with them said something like, "it is Croc time! If you are not Crocking, you are not rocking?" Am I just so far out of touch that I've never heard that before? Is this a tag line? Help a girl out.

The moment everyone was waiting for! 

The woman in the pant suit is the school principal and she is standing with last year's queen. With that, there are three homecoming queens on the field because she also wore the crown for Murphy, several decades ago!

Last year we learned from Laura that there is no dance so what I have shown you is the extent of it. The gowns are crazy expensive, as you can imagine, what with how elaborate they are.

This morning, while counting the offering at church with Lori, a Murphy native, we first walked to the bank to pick it up as it was deposited on Sunday. The young woman who handed it to us was cute so I asked her if she had been part of the homecoming court at some time, and if so, what happens to those dresses??? I guessed right and was delighted to learn that her cousin wore hers down in Georgia. Well, as it turns out, about 15 years ago Lori's daughter was in the homecoming court and had to buy a gown. Her recollection was that they paid between $250-$300 back then. Take a guess how much some of these gowns cost? If you guessed in the thousands you are a winner.  

What the heck, one more!

It really was a lot of fun with non-stop action. After one of the many touchdowns, I heard this intense cheering close by. Turns out it was our next door neighbor Jude. When he and his sister Farrah were playing in our sprinkler yesterday afternoon, I asked him about the game and he said he loved it, especially the dresses. 

From what we witnessed, I would say he is not the only one who loves the dresses!

While on the subject of the sprinkler it should be noted for posterity that rain has been almost non-existent this summer. Sadly, the leaves are shriveling and falling rather than being showy. I will show you what a drought looks like in this photograph that I took while walking along the river yesterday afternoon.

Hopefully it looks a wee bit better as we did have a shower earlier, just as I was walking home from church! It came down really hard for maybe ten minutes during which time I stood under a tree large enough to shelter me from being completely drenched. But has been the case all summer long, the sun is back out, some might say, with a vengeance.

On Thursday the pickleball ladies, or at least some of them, met for lunch at the Chop House, a restaurant within walking distance from the house.

Those not pictured are Peg and Debbie who came by the house beforehand to see what all the fuss was about. Once a month there is a social activity so a planning and idea session was due. 

The day before, that would have been Thursday, we attended a fundraiser put on by the local churches, of which there are many I might add. A giant potluck with most of the food prepared by the pastors, it was to raise money for those who have trouble paying their rent, power bill, or maybe both. We learned from the Scout this week that poverty is more prevalent than is evident, or at least to our eyes. I remember last summer we stood behind a woman who paid for her Wal Mart purchases using three different methods. Insensitive as I was back then, I questioned the cashier about how what we witnessed. She was quite snippy with me, rightly so, and said some folks around here just need a little help. Sadly that is very true. 

According to Wil, over $2,000 was raised, a figure that won't go too far, or so you would think.

A funny thing happened at the event. One of our friends was sitting with her friend who spoke out, "you bought my daughter's house!", obviously taking us by surprise. Turns out her daughter, living in New York had been looking for a Craftsman house and was all set to fly down here to look at 77 Campbell Street. I am thrilled we beat her to it!

Bruce took me for a doctor's visit in Hayesville in order to establish a relationship, should I need healthcare. Dr. Lohf was a very sweet young doctor whom I liked a lot. Perhaps I told you that I had tried making an appointment here in Murphy and the appointment was set for April 10?? Wild, right? Along with some other things, there is a shortage of doctors in this rural part of the state. During my visit, I received a flu shot which has made me feel not nearly myself, so I am going to say goodbye for now. Most of this was written yesterday after my time helping at the church, but between the visit and making dinner, and now not feeling my best, well here we are.

You can well imagine I have more to say, however, that will have to wait for next time. Oh wait, here is a crazy tree if ever I saw one.

your friend,

Gail


No comments:

Homecoming