Monday, April 21, 2008

I Haven't Gone Far



Tent City, as you can see, began on Friday evening. Unfortunately my assignment was in "no man's land" at the very end of the line. No advertisement in the entertainment section did not help. The set up went well because the weather cooperated; and I had high hopes which were quickly dashed as the customary crowds never materialized. Now, I really don't mind if I don't sell, what I mind is sitting around waiting for something to happen. Lisa enjoys watching the people, and happenings, which is good because she came to hang with me. Bruce is working crazy hours so she stands in for him. The packing up after a show is made so much easier with the three of us. Lisa has been running for nearly a year now and she's putting her muscles to work with this endeavor. All in all it could have been much worse, and I think it was for some folks. They struggled to earn their entry fee back which fortunately we did with room to spare.

The conference was actually quite good. Although it was pretty bare bones, the organization was excellent, as were a few of the speakers. I'm puzzled why some speakers just read their power points, as if the audience cannot read for themselves. Apparently they have no anecdotal remarks to make? It's a poor excuse for teaching in my book.

Soon after arriving a woman came up asking if I remembered her. Indeed I did. She was the 3-11 tech when I was an x-ray student back in 1972 whom I'd not seen since. At the time she was a divorcee with a three year old daughter which was somewhat unusual at the time. Turns out she is on husband #4, however this one seems to have stuck. In fact, he was there as well and very nice; they've been married for twenty years and live in Tampa. She sent me a nice e-mail today saying she'd lost my card but had looked me up on the Internet--I wonder what she found. At any rate, she claims I look much like I did back then.

I skipped out on the little market today--a case of not enough tables for all--I turned around, came home, and did laundry. It was a spectacular day for hanging clothes on the line.

Last week I read a fun novel by Don Lee, Wrack and Ruin, it was a silly satire on today's society. I'd read a book of his short stories, Yellow, and knew he had more to offer although I do love short stories--they leave lots of room for interpretation.

Did I mention I have a terrible blemish dead center on the top of my nose? Surely, I'm much too old for them, aren't I?

No comments:

Back at the Homestead