Monday, June 9, 2008

Highlights


Hi friends, I'm back! I'll not bore you with all the details, but here are a few highlights, as well as some breaking news:

*Flying first class is the best, thanks honey. I particularly like getting on the plane first as I have a slight aversion to standing in lines.

*The Orange Line is a godsend for those staying near Midway Airport. There's a hotel shuttle that takes you to the airport every ten minutes allowing you to get on the Orange Line into the city.

*I finally understand what "The Loop" refers to--the elevated train that loops through downtown--awesome.

*Fabulous seeing Jonathan and Alissa, although our time together was limited as Bruce worked long hours (thus, no dinner date) and they already had tickets to see Death Cab for Cutie at the Pritzker Pavilion on Tuesday night. Far be it for me to interrupt a chance to see DC!

*I did get to meet many of Jonathan's workmates, see his cubicle, and some of the documents relating to projects he's working on. As well meeting the boss who praised Jonathan's work to the hilt was a treat. I'm sorry if I sound proud, but can't help it.

*Seeing Mr. Polasek's 15' sculpture in Grant Park. I'm sure you remember Mr. Polasek--the museum where I volunteer here in Orlando. You may recall he was the head of the sculpture department at The Art Institute of Chicago for thirty years before retiring to Winter Park. While visiting Matt in Chicago we saw a tiny bit of Grant Park, but this time I roamed it alone. Filled with great sculptures, as is much of downtown Chicago, I was astonished at how big it is. Furthermore the amazing Buckingham Fountain is gorgeous. Unfortunately it was raining allowing me less time to see everything.

*Great stuffed pizza.

*The cabin was wonderful, secluded, but still close to things. A lovely rushing creek runs behind the cabin; we fell asleep to the natural music. Hopefully they'll be pleased with my photographic efforts.

*Whitewater rafting on the Nantahala River was super fun. Before climbing into the raft I was a little nervous about being able to paddle etc., but it turned out to be great. The day was sunny and hot, allowing this warm blooded Floridian to enjoy the cold river when we were inevitably doused!

*Taking the scenic route back to Atlanta was lovely.

*Spending time with Bruce. Although he worked some, he did a pretty good job at curtailing his phone use. When you are a construction manager each day brings fresh disasters which Bruce expertly solves, but I did so want him to have a few days without having to go to the effort.

*Arriving home to find Baxter in excellent spirits.

*So here's the breaking news: I got an e-mail from Lisa congratulating David for what at the time I didn't know. After calling Michelle I found out he's been made a Vice President at SunTrust. I was astonished to find out it happened last week and he never called his Mommy and Daddy to tell them. I guess that means your children are getting independent which is a good thing. He is pictured in the business journal section of today's paper. Am I sounding proud again??? Forgive me.

*That's the abbreviated version of a week away, brace yourself, more may surface.

----------------
Listening to: Bloc Party - Like Eating Glass
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

So This is Springtime