Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Full Steam Ahead

That, my friends is what came to me as I prepared a new folder for February 2017 photos that will in 28 days time contain all that I share on this blog during the month. Seriously, am I the only one who is amazed at how quickly January has passed? This month is my ten year anniversary of blogging, and for the foreseeable future I will continue to do so. What I love about blogging is all of my thoughts are in real time, some of them silly, and some pretty important, like this post from December 2007. Rereading that brought me back to my days at Valencia that were filled with both fun, and misery! Actually the reason I began blogging was to describe what it is really like to go to college when you are 52. These days when someone learns that I blog they ask me what it is about and I sheepishly reply--anything, and everything!

Orlando Utilities never did show up, but Bruce and Herbert worked until dark diagnosing the leak problem.
As it turns out, Bruce had to turn the water back on with a temporary fix until Saturday morning when Herbert returned with the part he purchased at a plumbing supply house. Instead of $140 for water, I suspect next month it will be about $35!

The day was bright and clear, perfect for a bike ride and some sight seeing, including the ever interesting Bottle Brush tree I came across.
Then too, because we live relatively close to downtown, the Goodyear Blimp, here for the Pro Bowl, went pretty much straight over our street across the lake while I was out riding.
Aside from the indoor Cardinal, songbirds have not been making much of an appearance in Camera Crazy of late because it seems as if our birdies have either found other feeders, or the new cats that roam the neighborhood are scaring them off. One Cardinal, however, is easily recognizable by his one errant feather that I hope you can see because it is pretty neat.
Oh how I wish we'd had Painted Buntings like this year, and this, posted in early January 2014, and 2015. The first linked post includes a photograph of the young lovebirds going to the prom, a photograph that I have always loved.

Saturday afternoon, after some serious house cleaning by you know who, we went to church for the "Men Who Cook" inaugural dinner and what a good time was had by all. Appetizers and socializing went on in the Parlor, pictured in the background,
while the main meal and desserts were served in the Fellowship Hall on white tablecloths.
Honestly, it was so good we were amazed. Mr. Peck is not one of the men who cook, but he is darn good at cleaning up, so that's what he did. The men went all out making among other things, Spanish Paella, Chili Relleno casserole, Lasagna, Beef Tenderloin, various salads and vegetables, and I'm not coming close to listing everything. What fun!

Nearly every week I am amazed at how the Flower Guild is so creative, including this past Sunday when they once again used Kale in the arrangement, but from afar, you would never know it.
In the forefront are over 2,000 origami peace cranes made by some of the members. Take a peek at the Kale up close.
I had no idea what it was, but the lady who made it did. Following church I had Bruce drive us through a neighborhood off West Colonial that I'd only just learned of last week. Called Spring Lake, it is so beautiful I wanted him to see it as well. Leaving there, it was only by chance that we drove by the stadium, around two in the afternoon, and people were already out and about for the game at 8PM!
Unlike the lovely blue sky on Saturday, it remained gloomy and chilly, but that was not stopping anyone intent on being there! All manner of food options...
I was absolutely stunned to see parking lots with $50 price tags! Can you imagine?

The Foodie Awards were announced in Sunday's paper and this happened.
Seriously, no comparison between the readers pick, and hers, which they actually pictured instead of the People's choice! I suspect for what it costs for one meal at Victoria & Albert you could eat at Earls five times! Several of my friends were honest enough to tell me how their experience at Earls was not the best, so they must have been surprised. How it happened,  I don't know, but we'll take it!

Finally, it was time for Days for Girls and what a turn out we had!
Much was accomplished during our hours together as you can see the huge stacks everywhere.
Sharleen shared a photograph with each one of us that I think you will love as much as I do. Helen, pictured in the middle, is who not only delivers the kits to schools, but teaches the girls how to use them.
So, from what you see above, to this. Heartwarming isn't it?

Are you bored yet? I hope not as I'm not done. I'm close though, if that is any consolation!

Two awesome women yet to come, the first of which is Regina, whom you have read about many times, most recently about how worried I was when she broke her femur a few months ago. Yesterday, while we both were out front, I asked her if I could take her photograph because ,how cute does my dear 80 year old neighbor look in these sunglasses???
Amazingly, she is back to walking Argyle, her Welsh Corgi, every morning with no cane! How I wish the same were true for Maureen who is still using a walker nearly a year after breaking her hip. :(

Then here is Pam showing off her and Glenn's latest creation...a Bargello quilt meant to look like the Northern Lights. Unreal, right?
I am so darn proud of her, only taking up this massively fun hobby a little over a year ago!

Finally, have you ever seen anything quite like this before?
Not the lost dog, but the lost keys?? Yikes!!

yours truly,

Gail


No comments:

Back at the Homestead