Skip to main content

Hockey, A Parade and More!

I think it is the sameness that gets to you. The sun sets early, plunging the city into darkness by 4:30 in the afternoon, and doesn't rise until nearly 8 the next morning. Not that you would know it because there is only a gradual change in the sky, from dark, to dark gray. If you think I've been exaggerating about the rain, this article I came across validates all of my moaning. Yup, the year of my birth was the last time this much rain fell in Vancouver. So it was that I was thrilled to see some color in the sky both yesterday, and this morning. Particularly today as there were lovely shades of pink to begin the day.
But, before we got so lucky, December came, continuing November's rainy ways. We walked through a pouring rain to church Friday night, however, it was worth all of the discomfort as they had a brass band and Christmas carol sing along.
Can anyone believe I got Bruce to go to something like this? A year ago I would never have dreamed he would agree to this kind of activity, however, both of us just love the church for all sorts of reasons. I'd hoped to go to the Christmas tree lighting ceremony prior to the concert, however, Bruce didn't get home in time because, well, he'll be embarrassed that I've told you, but it really shows why we came to Vancouver in the first place. Every two weeks, on Friday afternoon, they hold something at the office called "Magic Hour", where they unwind, and if they want to, praise their co-workers.  Not only did Bruce's big boss have something to say about him in front of everyone, Emily, the designer on the Seattle project, broke into tears while saying how lucky she was to have Bruce as her PM on her very first solo project. It won't surprise anyone to learn that he blushed. :)

Leaving the church feeling all aglow, it was pouring outside, a quick way of killing said glow. Nonetheless, we walked over to the tree, which is lovely, although I didn't get the photo I wanted just yet. You can bet that I will now that we might just have a week without constant rain! Further, I wanted to show Bruce the ice skating rink which had opened earlier in the day.
Another cool thing that happened on Friday was that Bruce was given two tickets to the Vancouver Cannucks hockey game at Rogers Arena for Saturday afternoon. Never having been to a hockey game before, I was delighted. The whole experience was fantastic, with a fast paced game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, whose fans outnumbered the Cannucks, btw.
Having terrific seats helped. How could you not have a good time when the home team wins amidst loud rock music and cool light shows? Not to mention the actual sport of hockey which is really exciting.
Sunday was meant to be somewhat sunny, however, that was not the case until late in the afternoon. As such, after church, we walked two blocks to Howe Street, the route for the Christmas parade, which began with bagpipers of all ages. Count me very surprised to see the young ones in the group.
While Bruce went into the Nestles Toll House shop, hoping for some hot chocolate, I crossed the street to be closer to the action, standing next to this family.
Unlike any parade I've attended, it featured quite a variety of participants, including this dance group,
and some women,
who drummed behind a banner reading, Falun Gong is good. My memory fails me as to who these folks were with...
however, I do know who these fellows represent.
You can imagine I took a whole lot of photos, but I'll spare you more. Suffice it to say that because it was NOT raining, I did not wear my rain boots, instead another pair of boots that failed to keep me warm. During a break between acts, I ran across the street, met up with Bruce, and insisted I was just too darn cold to wait for the Santa Claus float. Plus, he needed to drive to Seattle for the bar top installation, hoping to get there before it was all the way dark.  Demolition of the old top took 8 men, followed by a ten man crew to install the new one. A big deal that went off without a hitch, much to his relief!

Finally the clouds began parting and Mrs. Camera Crazy went for a walk. About two weeks ago they strung white LED lights on the huge evergreen in our park (don't you like the way I say that so nonchalantly?), turning them on full time December 1, much to my delight.
Taking to the seawall, others had the same idea. In fact one fellow with a camera remarked with glee...the SUN! You bet!
Oh happy evening! Continuing along the seawall, making my way to English Bay, others were out as well.
 I was hoping to find something I'd read about. Sure enough, I did.
A cold, but satisfying walk home, where Baxter and I watched a silly Christmas movie, and slept the night away.

As I type, there are mostly clouds, however, I can see the mountains again, so I'm happy. Before too long Bruce will be home and all will be right in the Peck household.

yours truly,

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bodies of Water

Raise your hand if you think you can identify the location of this lovely scene? Before our excursion on Saturday, I certainly would have kept my arm straight by my side because I would have had no clue. This is the park on the shores of East Lake Tohopekaliga in downtown St. Cloud, Florida. I've included Florida because there is a town named the same in Minnesota, not far from a restaurant Bruce built, and there might just be someone from Minnesota that comes across this blog and thinks, that's not my town! 
At any rate, Bruce's superintendent in Plano is doing a fabulous job which means Mr. Peck is not having to kill himself, performing as both Project Manager, and the field Super. It's about time that he got a bit of a break, so when I asked him if he was up for a Saturday excursion to St. Cloud, he agreed. Both of us have driven by the exit to this little town on countless occasions, but never had either of us actually been there before. 28 miles from Orlando, it i…

And Just Like That....

another weekend has arrived! My, how the time flies when you are old. The date for our move to Vancouver in early July just keeps getting closer and closer! In the meantime, we are staying busy.

Matt and Tom have an anniversary coming up, yes, it has been three years already at the end of the month. You will not be surprised that I made a quilt to honor the occasion which I sent a week or so ago, thinking it would take some time. You never really know. In this instance it took only one week and since I sent it to Matt's workplace, he opened it right up and sent me a text to say he loved it! That was a relief because it is a little different than some quilts I've made. When I had only the top pieced Bruce was a little skeptical of the end result, however, after the addition of spiral quilting, and ORANGE binding, he was a convert!
For a touch of whimsy, I used a fabric with drawn kitty cats for Tom. The beginning of the spiral is somewhat sketchy, but I did the best that I coul…

Hither and Yon

Looking back on things, it does seem kind of crazy I did not know what was happening to me. No more so than on Saturday when we took a little trip to Steveston. But first we went to Richmond, a largely Asian community to meet up with the fellow who makes all of the furniture for Earls restaurants. By hand no less. Well, machines are involved, of course. Sewing machines and all manner of wood working tools. But, we'll get to that in a moment.

First, let's take the Canada Line to Broadway and Cambie Street, shall we?
The Canada Line actually runs from the waterfront all the way to both the airport and Richmond. Now you know.

Back in early July, the day we were having one of our two garage sales, we quit early to attend Judy's retirement party which was just lovely. So, not only was the party great, but Judy's sister Margie gave me a Lonely Planet guide to Vancouver and has it ever been helpful, with suggested neighborhood walks, points of interest, maps...the whole sheba…