Monday, December 11, 2017

Winter is Coming

Early on in this adventure, I expressed my apprehension to Irene about what it would be like in the winter. Not surprising, having never been through winter as an adult because surely what we have in Orlando is clearly not what people think of when they think of winter. She assured me that it comes on gradually, so I would have time to get used to it. She did not, however, tell me that winter oftentimes, at least in the Pacific Northwest, means fog. How exciting then to experience such dense fog, even if it was kind of spooky and weird. When one gets to be a certain age, having new experiences is just the ticket to keep one on their toes.  I decided I would be remiss if I did not show you one of the most famous sights in Stanley Park, the totem poles, in this instance, shrouded in fog.
The plaque below explains some of their meaning, however, I am somewhat surprised that they have not changed this because using the term Indian is no longer acceptable in Canada. Either Indigenous or Aboriginal are the descriptors of choice. Either way, very interesting to me.
Friday morning was a repeat of Thursday's fog, however, I got it into my head that perhaps the lookout in Queen Elizabeth Park would be above the fog. Why I thought that is beyond me when I am already so high up in the air at the condo, but I took the train there nonetheless. The fog was just as thick, if not thicker. These are used to hang love locks on, somewhat like is done in other cities, most notably Paris.
Does it look cold and damp to you? If you thought yes, you would be correct.
I walked to the lookout and there were no views to be had. Nor could you see the water fountain very well, however the Henry Moore sculpture still was visible.
The Bloedel Conservatory dome looked very inviting on this chilly day so I finally went in after not having done so during my three previous visits. Inside I had a familiar experience---my camera lens fogged up immediately just like it does so often in Orlando. Oh my goodness, was it ever great being surrounded once again by tropical plants, not to mention tons of birds flying freely throughout the dome.
Can you spot the four little birdies in the photo above? What a joy to go from the dreary outdoor conditions to the beautiful scenes indoors. Oh how I love the little finches, of which they have 16 different species. Those little spots on their cheeks!!
How appropriate that I saw partridges, while not in a pear tree, pretty darn cool.
This Chinese Pheasant!! Good grief, those feathers are down right astonishing!
I can see myself visiting here with some frequency. Walking from the transit station I was remembering the first time I made the same walk when it seemed like it was such a long way. Isn't that always the way? The further attempts at something seems so much easier, as it did on Friday.

Around this household we have discovered Hallmark Christmas movies. Anyone else hooked on them? All of them are sweet with happy endings so what's not to like about that during these turbulent times? Several were watched on Friday night. :)

Saturday morning there was a sunrise, raising my hopes that the fog was no more. Or, at least not so thick that I could see nothing out of the condo windows.
This is going to be such a different Christmas for us, what with only celebrating with a fraction of our family but some things never change. Bruce, wrapping the calendars for his work colleagues.
He went on to the office while I did my Saturday chores, during which time the fog once again filled my vision. Later in the day, the fog began to lift somewhat and I took off to meet him at his office.
Once I got a few blocks from the water things changed dramatically, so much so that you would never know there was such a fog cover behind me. I saw these pretty trees in front of one of my favorite buildings.
We rode home on Water Street, looking very festive with the Harbor Center all lit up, and the Gastown steam clock going off.
Bruce wanted to head over to Granville Island so we took the ferry over, enjoying the market and then dinner. The Island was looking very festive as well.
While we were at dinner the fog finally was over. Riding back on the ferry, the lights of the city are so lovely.
Sadly, earlier, while taking my camera out of my backpack, one of my brand new gloves fell out without me noticing. Boo hoo!

Sunday, after church, I drug Bruce to see the Christmas tree display at Sutton Place, the hotel I skipped last week. The trees are decorated by local designers as a fund raiser for, in this case, autistic adults, picture on the tree below.
Back to the Hyatt Regency to see the gingerbread again. Here's one of local interest!
We roamed around downtown, ate lunch at the cozy Regis Hotel restaurant, where the Jacksonville Jaguars were playing the Seattle Seahawks on the television screens. While we were thrilled to see Blake Bortles playing so well, the other patrons, not so much.
Bruce suggested we return to church for the Jazz Vespers. Great plan. Candace Churchill and her band were tremendous.
The stage and lighting were ready for the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra who were to play a Christmas concert at 8:00. The church is used for that sort of thing very often because the acoustics are really great.

We are really getting into a routine, something that works best for me.

Today was yet another long walk which we'll get to in another post, however, one thing happened that added to the beauty of the day. I found myself a little snow globe for Christmas.
I am in love with snow globes, both big and small.

Winter is indeed coming, just days away, and apparently I haven't seen the last of foggy days, however, at least now it won't take me by surprise.

yours truly,

Gail


No comments:

So This is Springtime