Tuesday, December 24, 2019

And So This is Christmas

If you have watched any Hallmark Christmas movies, like at least of third of Americans, you know that aside from hot chocolate and romance, they are all about traditions and keeping them alive. Our Sentinel columnist, Scott Maxwell, who is normally a serious political reporter, had a funny column in todays paper about how even he has been sucked into the feel good movies that always have a happy ending. And he is not alone, according to this fascinating report about a Christmas convention! Some fun reading in that piece.

And so, although I am always poking fun at the movies while Bruce watches with nearly rapt attention, I am so onboard with the tradition part. In my opinion, traditions are such an important part of life that until they are no longer, many folks don't realize how much they depend on them. As Connie was leaving for St. Cloud yesterday morning, she relayed some of their family traditions, one of which is to have lox and bagels on Christmas morning in honor of her Dad. Her family has a big ranch and they spend most of the day outdoors, cooking ribs and playing kickball. Sounds like fun, right? And only in Florida, right?

Ours are mostly about the season, from church, to the kitchen, to the mall. I've spent time in all of those places this year. Cookies, Christmas cards, a tree decorated with ornaments collected over the decades, twinkling lights, and candles. I love it all! Oh yeah and then there are nights out looking at outdoor decorations and this one near Bill and Fallon's house is a doozy. Unbelievable really, and so bright it was nearly blinding! She tells me they also have a Santa on the weekends.
The truth is there was more, but it just would not fit into the frame, in spite of me going across the street and into a neighbor's driveway! There was no space lightless; can you imagine how long it took to put all that up? I can't! This morning, as I was waking up at 6:30AM, I heard Bruce call out "thank you" and I thought it was the paper man he was speaking to, however, it was an Amazon delivery person getting an early start. While that might not be the best shift to have, at least they are paid, unlike the amazing folks who spend weeks decorating for all to see. Thank you whomever you are!

The cookies. Not so many around anymore to eat them, but it is a part of the season that I can't let go of. Here's some good news---I found the recipe, stained with years of use.
Unfortunately I'd already made some Molasses Crinkles in place of said gingerbread, another old recipe from Bruce's Mom. I should be making Russian Tea Cakes, one of my Mom's favorites, but I don't think I have enough pecans in the pantry. I wish I did though because doing so makes our departed loved ones part of the holiday for me. Of course, I could go get some pecans, except that Jonathan and Alissa arrived last evening from Austin and are spending the day at Disney World with my car. Bruce is visiting a friend who is recovering from surgery. Funny thing is that I forgot I had no transportation and was dressed, ready to go pick up some last minute items for tomorrow. No car, no problem, I will ride my bicycle. Not happening as Bruce was the last one to lock it up and it is so secure I can't make it work. I'll walk....not in the rain I won't! Thus, I am here putting down memories.

While looking for the recipe above, in my stash I came across one for Chocolate Crinkle cookies, one I'd not made before. Everyone likes chocolate, so why not? Well, it is a good thing I did a little Google search on this because I was lucky enough to come across a detailed explanation on how to work with the incredibly sticky dough, the likes of which I've never seen before. Chilling the dough overnight helped some. The cookie scoop Bruce fixed broke on the first try, so it was a spoon and my hands, that while goopy, could have been worse had I not read  that the best method was to drop a big glop in the bowl of powdered sugar and then form the balls. A big shout out to Pat and Ruth who gifted me these wonderful cookie sheets many years ago. Because of the tiny ridges, they need neither parchment paper nor greasing.
Because of their dark color, more like fudgy brownie bites, it was hard to tell if they were done, but it seemed to have worked out just fine. The tray is from the dollar store up the street and makes for a lovely way to photograph them doesn't it?
Not photographed is my love of listening every single year to Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians recording called Christmas is Magic, two discs that cover the gamut of Christmas music from the true meaning of Christmas, to Toyland. For me it is not Christmas without this cherished music from long ago that fortunately I was able to locate for sale in the early days of internet shopping!

Our choir is no match for the Pennsylvanians, yet they are darn good, and sound even more beautiful when the church is decorated for Christmas.
 This past Sunday the fourth candle of Advent was lit,
with the center candle set for tonight. We had an interesting conversation with J & A about young people no longer attending church, although most consider themselves spiritual. In fact they kind of wonder why we go, and the answer is, in spite of the obvious faults,  it keeps us grounded in this crazy world. With so many, many, distractions, spending time in worship is very important in our lives. Not to mention opportunities to help others. Perhaps you remember this post when I read to Bruce how cremation works while we were driving home for an outing? Of all things, yesterday he learned how they are actually buried in the church courtyard. Long story, for perhaps another day.
The weather, while not as cold, has been Vancouver-like for the last few weeks, or so it seems. Night after night, the scene outside the door has looked like this.
There was a tiny reprieve from the gloominess this morning although short lived.
Shopping! Shopping! and more Shopping! This past Saturday we visited the mall together and moseyed, having gotten there early while parking was plentiful. Although we don't have the gorgeous window displays like a big city, there still are some that stand out. Always Louis Vuitton for a wow!
While I am not really a diamond kind of gal, I can still very much appreciate their beauty.
Seeing people in seriously mismatched outfits is something I do not get. Then again, I'm old fashioned, so what do I expect? I did think the window dresser should have pulled that one dress down flat.
Furthermore what is with the socks?The red handbag with that outfit???

Have you visited one of the cutsie Asian stores popping up around town? Not quite a dollar store, they sell inexpensive cute things that sometimes suffer in the translation. Both of these covers made me laugh.
"No matter how long night, the arrival of daylight association" should be what?? "The spring rain was soaking into the earth." Nothing wrong with a good laugh while out shopping.

Following shopping, the gifts go to Bruce who is our wrapper extraordinaire.
Note Hallmark movie on his office television! He wrapped for so long, I'm pretty sure he got through at least two of them in their entirety. For the most part, gift bags are not happening here. Scissors are a must on Christmas morning!

 I have a setting on my camera that gives this effect which is kind of fun.
Then again, that is almost the effect that oncoming traffic lights create while we are driving at night. This time of year it really limits what we do, but the Winter Solstice has passed for another year and from here on out, the days will lengthen.
We are barely touching the tree hoping the needles will remain mostly intact until it is time to put it all away for another year when Bruce will wrap gifts, the kids will be here, and I will bake cookies.
It is what we do.

This is Christmas.

And may you and yours enjoy your traditions this year, and for many more years to come.

Merry Christmas from our house to yours dear readers, whomever, and wherever you are.

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety