Thursday, February 5, 2009

Fire and Ice Part Two

See previous post to make sense of this one!!

I'm trying to figure out how to get the most from Picasa with limited success. I uploaded the pictures for Part 1, but didn't know which order they would be in so here are the explanations.

Picture #1 is of the lightbox I mentioned in my last post. I'm still trying to figure out how to exploit it. It is now sitting on my printer because I've got the pole light above it. To date, I'm having mixed results.

Picture #2 is evidence of our recent freezing temperatures. I'm very proud of myself for getting all my tax stuff together. I delivered it to Olga yesterday; when I was leaving her development this caught my eye across the street. You may, or may not know, that citrus growers think the ice protects the trees, thus they run sprinklers every six hours. The remarkable thing about this picture is that I took it at 11:30 in the morning. Normally, even when there is a freeze, by 10 the temperatures have risen, especially when the skies are clear, and there is that hot sun of ours to warm things up. I pulled the car over (do I call it a car, or the dreaded SUV title?) and took some photos. When I was heading back to my car I heard a woman calling out to me. Turns out she owns the little grove which she recently re-planted with 100 trees.She was probably in her late 70's, wearing flannel pjs and a coat of sorts. Anyway she just wanted to chat about the freeze. Orlandoans might be interested to know her name is Mrs. Peel. The street we were on was named for her late husband. When I told her I was married at the church just down the street she warmed up to me even more. She was approached about selling her land, probably the only remaining orange grove in city limits, however she wants to keep it in the family. I sure hope they make it!

Picture #3 is of a cheap dessert. Normally I don't make dessert (doing my part to keep Bruce from enlarging), but I broke ranks the other night. Most people who've eaten at our home think I'm a pretty good cook, but there are definitely things I don't make well. You might think these are hockey pucks on the counter, but no dear readers, they are my latest failed attempt at making biscuits. Having lived in the South for pretty much all of my life should count for something, after all, biscuits are sacrosanct in the South, but geography has not helped. I consulted like five cookbooks this time, settling on an old standby, Betty Crocker, but as you can plainly see these biscuits look nothing like they should. I think I may have learned something this time though. Next time, and there will be a next time (I believe I've become obsessed), I will not roll the dough as thin. I think that is a promising start.

Picture #4 is Mr. Bruce relaxing with a glass of wine in front of our fireplace. The last few winters have been so mild a fire was out of the question. About 2 in the afternoon I called him at the office saying, "a fire tonight please." This gave him adequate time to gear up to splitting a bit of wood upon his return. Unfortunately he came home so late that by the time the fire was roaring, and dinner was over, I fell asleep on the couch. He was watching The Dark Knight;he'd been wanting to see it for ages and was not disappointed.

No picture here but remember how I was crowing about sales? Not so fast young lady. When I put together all my expenses for tax purposes it is a wonder I have money in my business account. In fact, I don't understand it at all. One thing I didn't do is lose money, so for a fledgling business that's a good thing.

So there you have it folks...

----------------
Listening to: Bloc Party - This Modern Love
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Listening to: The Rapture - House Of Jealous Lovers
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

Alissa said...

That icicle picture is so crazy! I'm glad Bruce finally got to see The Dark Knight. My favorite film of last year by far!

Gail Peck said...

Yeah--I have a reader!!! Cute picture of you btw.

sarah said...

biscuits are hard! my mom makes great ones, but i've had to give up trying her recipe b/c they never taste the same to me. I like Mark Bittman's recipe, which I make with yogurt (from _How to Cook Everything_, a great cookbook).

Another idea--I sometimes just spoon batter onto a tray w/o rolling or cutting the biscuits. they're not round and pretty, but they usually come out noticably fluffier. Though, now that I think about it, I've never done this technique with the bittman recipe...but it might be worth trying.

fun!

Gail Peck said...

Sarah--good suggestion--drop biscuits are so much easier. I have two cookbooks Matt gave me from Atlanta restaurants, one of which is called The Flying Biscuit--I'm trying hers next...

Back at the Homestead