Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Stories

Whatever gave me the idea that our settling into a new life would be seamless is hard to imagine, let alone explain, however, it finally occurred to me late last week that it was okay if it were harder than I expected. I'm one of those "look on the bright side of life" kind of gals, but I suspect I needn't put that into writing because it is something you probably already knew. Or did you?

It was late las week when I finally looked into our landline answering machine which read something like VM, call company for access. Before I did that though, I pushed the button on the answering machine, thinking it might be full and that is why messages were going into space, or in our case, AT&T. That's when it hit me---not only was I missing Vancouver, but I was missing our house as well. What a step back in time---one message was from Maureen, "hey Gail, I heard you sold your house, congratulations!" Several were from Scott who installed our new flooring in the condo. Then there were a couple from Charles, from whom we purchased the condo. The painters, the ceiling guy, the folks who sprayed our yard, Regina, and on it went. Once they were all cleared, I made the dreaded call to AT&T, spending about thirty minutes speaking to a heavily accented woman who kept telling me I had to have a pin number, and when that didn't work, walking me through how to set up not only one, but like three. Good grief, I was a crazed woman by the time that call ended. How has it come to this? A pin number for every blessed thing we do?

Next, I tackled the answering machine, spending nearly thirty minutes listening to all of the messages left during our absence. Not just the message, mind you, but the robotic voice telling me I had a message, press this and that to hear the message, and prompts to delete them. There were two from Dillards, one telling us that our shoe order had come in. At first the name didn't ring a bell, probably because the whole exercise was so annoying, but when I heard it a second time, I had an "aha" moment. Yes, that is the name of the woman who now lives on Gem Mary Court, in a charming little house that we spent more than twenty years fixing up, laboring over every paint color choice, where the money would come from to do different projects, continually working to make a house a home. No wonder I was a little out of sorts!

I'm good now, and there's good reason for that, as I look out the window while typing this, watching the ducks chase each other in the light of early morning. Plus, fish are jumping like mad. No otters though. Another left message was from a woman I don't know, telling me she had purchased one of my photographs from the Polasek museum and wanted to tell me how much she liked it. Never mind that it has been years since I put something new there. She also talked to Bruce at length, leaving her number for me to return her call. What a pleasant surprise, right?

Well, speaking of making a house a home, I spent hours and hours on Saturday with a project that only I will notice, but it will make my sewing life much easier going forward.
Gathering most all of my sewing supplies in one place, I emptied boxes and a tub onto the floor sorting everything into three baskets I'd purchased at Marshalls. Thank God for Marshalls, right? Our sister Nancy manages one in the Atlanta area, regaling us with stories of the retail life which is not easy my friends. I thank her and all those who labor at this kind of work! During the hours I worked, FSU football kept me company. Sort of. Wow, our team is bad beyond belief this year. Painful. One basket now holds solids, one yardage, and one small pieces of fabric which have been sorted into colors.
Who knew I had it in me? The hanging file is now gone, after I emptied it of years worth of Out & About Photography papers. Who knew I had that in me? Nearly nine years out in the heat every Sunday? Speaking of which, it is still blazing hot, maybe worse than ever. Typical of September, however, every year, while elsewhere leaves are beginning to change, we are sick to death of it and long for cooler temperatures. Middle of October if we are lucky.

Which brings me to Sunday when, following church, we visited one of the Lucky's Market that are opening around town, including one that is under construction, across the street from our Publix. What is all the fuss about, we wondered? Not sure, even following our brief visit.
I seem to be full of stores today because here comes another one. There are lots of chain restaurants in the Waterford Lakes area and we chose a familiar one for lunch. Many years ago, Blaine Sweat, the creator of Olive Garden and Seasons 52, among others, came up with another concept, this time a Caribbean style restaurant called Bahama Breeze. After opening the initial one on International Drive, he was seeking to refine it on a piece of land in front of the Altamonte Mall, asking if Bruce could be the project manager. Oftentimes when Bruce thinks he is working hard, I remind him of those days when it was not unusual for him to work nearly round the clock, responding to Blaine's every whim, and there were plenty of them, as is often the case with very creative people. Not only was he demanding, but generous as well, rewarding Bruce with a beautiful engraved Rolex watch that he's been wearing ever since.
I couldn't resist having Rebecca's Key Lime pie, named after his wife.

Two woodpeckers are making quite the racket in the trees outside my window, but they are not nearly as noisy as these two were the other day, both landing on the same branch, but a good shot of that was elusive.  I'm thinking one of them is young?
Look at the difference in the size of their legs!
We are still waiting on birds, although Bruce saw a couple the other day, and in time, there WILL be more.

After sorting out all of my fabric, I made a "block of the month" for our guild. The instructions said to take two pieces of fabric and sew them together and keep going in the same color family until the block is 14.5 in size. Fun.
Paint colors mentioned above? Yes, I am once again laboring, this time for our beautiful new place which I hope to make even more so. Sorry paint company, but I gathered a whole bunch of paint color cards, taped them together and hung them up for an audition,
trying them out in different light.
None of them excited me, so when Fallon sent me a message on Instagram with a kitchen photo attached, I knew I needed to keep looking, this time at Sherwin Williams where I picked up about ten different greens and all of the coordinating colors. (counter top sample on bottom left)
Decisions, decisions. Coming soon!

On my way home, I popped into TJ Maxx, hoping for a rug find which did not happen, but what did happen was sweet, and I mean that literally. While Matt and Tom were on their two week holiday in Portland, Maine this August, they visited a gelato shop which just so happens to have a location in SoDo, right near our home.  Although the name, Gelato Fiasco seems a bit off putting to me, I'm sure there is good reason they chose it. Their product, on the other hand, is outstanding.
Rarely do I snack, but on this occasion I made an exception, getting this small cup of scrumptious, chocolate butter pecan, or something like that. Yum, yum!
I suggest, should you be in the area, that you try it ASAP.

After bringing home three huge baskets the interior of the MINI was looking pretty neglected, so I forced myself to vacuum it, beginning with the back. With the tail up, I was paying attention to the inside when the roof came into my sightline, I was none too excited seeing this small Cuban Tree frog within inches of my face. Ad nauseam, I've detailed what a menace these invasive frogs are.
I'll admit, they look kind of cute, but they are not good for our native frogs. Using a paint stick, I flicked it off and continued sweating as I vacuumed the car which looks infinitely better now. As to the baskets, they are all stored below my table, neat as can be.

With sunsets like this, not to mention a huge flock of birds flying in for the night, can you blame me for wanting to document it?
Bruce is actually in Vancouver this morning, heading to Calgary this afternoon where it is already very chilly.  When I read the forward to the first of David Sedaris's book of journal entries, he said he rarely wrote anything about the weather, whereas I rarely fail to mention it. Perhaps that is why he is a professional and I am a wannabe? Seems to me that it forms the shape of our days, but what do I know? More everyday is my goal though.

your friend,

Gail



No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety