Wednesday, January 15, 2020

More about Seniors Camping

Before I get more into the trip, for my memory alone, I must write that although the trip was a happy time, today we aren't quite so happy as our friend Jeff has very little time left to live. Sunday, after church, we visited with them at the rehab center, however since then, he has been moved to hospice at the hospital. He's the same age as Carol. Nearly one year to the day he learned news no one wants to hear.  To put a face with the name, I took this photo about six months ago.
Pray for Lori, pray for Bruce, and all of Jeff's friends, of which there are many, as he is one of the good guys.

I must confess, it is weird to think that we are senior citizens at least as far as conventional wisdom is concerned. Do we feel like seniors? Sometimes! Like when I was walking the trash to the dumpster at the campground and my knee was killing me. Of course, it had been a busy day, but I must say that I was delighted when a couple came up behind me, offering to take my bag the rest of the way! Campers are like that, or so it seems. Lots of nice folks are just a campsite away. Here's something cute....as we were cleaning up from breakfast, a young boy and his sister were on little scooter things on the road in front of our site. Stopping to chat, he mentioned that they were camping for his sister's 5th birthday. I said, "oh my gosh, we are doing the same!" Asking me how old I had turned, I said I was 66 to which he replied, "you don't look a day over 40." Do you think this nine year old boy has a future in politics???

We also met some nice folks on the boardwalk heading to the beach.
Yup, it is very long! Anyway the gentleman was using binoculars and since I'd just seen a tiny bird flitting about, I mentioned it. Well, before long, we knew lots about the three folks, two of whom were from Maine visiting their cousin in St. Augustine. Because New England was Bruce's territory for a number of years, he knows lots about the area, so there was that kind of chit chat. And of course birds. We all are bird crazy. Happily, the birds were still in about the same place as the day before,
except this time a Brown Pelican joined the group! They were very helpful with bird identification which was a nice thing to do.  We began walking the other way, observing more than just the birds.
The water is extremely clear for the Atlantic,
with loads of shells to sort through if you are the shelling kind.
Anyone have any idea what kind of jellyfish this is?
It is hard to walk with me because I always am noticing something that I find interesting, however, Bruce is patient with me. Or used to it at least.
Before returning to space #33, we looked at the kayak launch area, called Salt Run, and how about all of those oysters shells?
Look what we discovered on the car!
Bruce was sure he'd heard something the night before during the many times he awoke because he was cold. I'd put the leftover stew in a zip lock bag in the car that night which is why I walked it to the dumpster the next night!

The campground is full of twisty oaks, made that way from the wind and salty air.
Learning our lesson that second night we used all of our blankets,
as well as two pairs of socks and more clothing. We were cozy now. Sloppy joes and roasted potatoes, made in the oven (!) along with corn for dinner that night.

Wednesday was more of the same, except Bruce did more reading as I explored, riding my bike to the beach and then walking to the pier pictured above. I was dying to get the same shot that I had taken while in La Jolla, but this time there was a pole at the end of the pier that does not give the same effect.
These little guys are so fun to watch!
That afternoon, because it was so cold, Bruce still had a fire going and we got to make these, a Christmas gift from Jonathan and Alissa. Made in Austin, of course.
Indeed, just as the box says, we enjoyed them over a fire.
Holy Cow were they good!
Yet another walk on the beach, upped my count by bedtime to seven miles of walking that day. I slept very well! Plus, although it was super chilly all day, that night the temperature only dropped to 53 degrees, balmy in comparison to Monday night!
On the third night we remembered we actually had some lights that we could hang from the tarp and what a difference they made when it came to cooking and clean up!
Each trip we get a little bit better. In the morning, it was time to head home, but not before one last fire.
Before too long we returned site #33 to the way we found it.
Here's hoping other folks enjoy the space as much as we did. And here's hoping that your vicarious camping along with the seniors was worth the time!

your friend,

Gail


No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety