Wednesday, April 15, 2020

28th Day

For 28 days I have been recording data on the pandemic in the United States, not just on my calendar, but in this blog. It's been no fun at all. Living through a moment in history like this, one that will be studied for generations to come, has been surreal to say the least.

Yesterday at breakfast, Bruce and I were discussing a word definition, specifically "idiot". We did that while eating some waffles that I'd made, not without incident. Never, never, think that I do all things well.
Yup, my first batch was a big fat bust. Assuming because it is a non-stick waffle maker, no oiling was necessary, however, I learned the hard way that my assumption was incorrect. The day before I'd sent Bruce to the store for a couple of things, one of which was Bisquik, an ingredient I use to make the breading for fried okra. He had trouble finding it, eventually getting some at the WalMart neighborhood center. Although he sent me a photo of the box, I did not notice that it was jumbo in size, enough to last for at least a year or more! Nevertheless, when I saw the recipe for waffles on the side of the box, an idea was born. The fried okra was wonderful, and the waffles, once I'd gotten the hang of it, were good as well. Because it had been probably a year or more since making waffles, obviously I was rusty, to say the least.

So back to the discussion--Bruce was saying that calling someone an idiot was worse than other words, so I went to the Merriam Webster site on the iPad and read out the synonyms, too numerous to recount. Loads of them were new to me, such as "chucklehead". Have you heard that one before? That settled, I went to the homepage finding something of interest to me, and I hope you will find it so as well. If you click on this link you will find all of the new words added to the dictionary as relates to the pandemic.  During a lengthy Facetime call with Matt and Tom yesterday afternoon I mentioned this very thing and Tom, in his usual witty way, claims they may have been inspired by my earlier blog post. Yeah, right! For weeks now I did not understand how Covid-19 came to be used early on rather than Coronavirus and now I know. Check out the link and you will as well.

Easter Sunday afternoon I was taking out the trash when I ran into Stephanie, who from six feet away, told me about something she'd seen on television that she thought we might like. A virtual choir performance, apparently a new phenom in the age of Coronavirus. Immediately I went to my computer and boy was I glad I did. Watching it once, I called B into the room to see it as well. I'm pretty sure we've now watched it about ten times, we love it so much. Perhaps you will as well and this link will take you to the story of how a pastor got folks from thirty different churches in the Pittsburgh area to participate.  Called a Pittsburgh Blessing, a little later on I had my own Easter blessing in the form of a visit from a Monarch butterfly to our front garden. For almost two years now I've had a bunch of Pentas, a prime butterfly attractant, however, not a single one visited before that warm afternoon. I was cleaning the birdbath when I turned around a saw it on one of the big plants. Hoping it would stay put while I went inside for my camera, my hope was rewarded!

Obviously I've seen many butterflies before, but having one so close was special indeed. Yesterday while I spent most all of the morning cleaning our kitchen, Bruce cut back all of the plants, so it won't be happening again any time soon!

I'm pretty proud of myself for doing that cleaning, which included the following:

*Emptying all crumbs out of the toaster and cleaning the outside.
*The kettle was covered in water spots and now it is not.
*The tile behind the range got a big time washing.
*The microwave is clean, both inside and out.
*Flour no longer on any part of the mixer.
*Canisters emptied, washed, and re-filled.
*Same with salt cellar.
*Dishwasher filter and bottom are now looking good!
*During her visit Nancy bought me some range top cleaner made by Weiman which included both a   scrub pad and razor, both of which were put to good use both on the top, AND the inside of the glass   door which was absolutely covered in grease. While I love my range, the cleaning with water
 function works about as well as you would think. Not.
*I'd been having a problem with tiny ants which I hope will be no more after the clean up.

And then I went and messed it up, at least temporarily when we finished the day with an asparagus/shrimp risotto with lemon.
Earlier in the morning, probably while we were starting the day by watching the Pittsburgh blessing video, a small bag was left on our front porch. No doubt we heard nothing as we were so engrossed. Anyway, what, pray tell, was in said bag?
A very timely gift indeed. Haha...can you imagine six weeks ago, one person gifting face masks and the other gifting hand sanitizer in return? In the last month I've been so few places, but at least now if I do, I have the proper tools, what with my face mask and something to clean my hands.

We did take a long walk on Monday, after practicing Pickleball together, around Lake Davis where the swan family is getting along nicely. It is hot as the dickens right now! Think 90+ degrees.
The same cannot be said about some of the Wood Ducks on our lake. It is breaking my heart to watch as their parents seemingly have abandoned them. There were six at first ,but now there are five.
Sorry for the photo quality but the lighting won't cooperate. Anyway, they cheep, cheep, cheep as they glide with no results. It's really heart wrenching to watch. Maybe a little strong language there Gail, but you get my drift. There are three sets on the lake right now and the other Wood Duck mothers just ignore them! Close to shore the lake is covered with tree droppings which ordinarily sink to the bottom with rain, alas, we have had none.
The orphans are on the right. While I was out watching, a fellow down the way was fishing and boy did he have success!
There were folks watching who took his photo before he put the fish back in the water. Bruce has been having his own success on the big lake. It has been amazing to see how many people are out fishing, or boating during this time; oftentimes no one is doing so except for Bruce. Filling the hours is my guess.

One thing that has been interesting to watch is how Mama Mallard keeps her duckling under watch at all times. They, my friends, are getting big!
The otter was wondering what the heck is she doing here?
As I mentioned, once a day I check the numbers, with a focus on Florida, thanks to these people at Johns Hopkins. Should you be wondering who is behind that global map and the updates, be sure and check out that link. To date there have been 524 deaths in Florida, a number that given our population, is not so very high. Although temperature is not supposed to be a factor, could it be? Of course Louisiana is just as hot and they have had more. So much for that theory.

We are ever so grateful to have remained healthy during the pandemic, yet there is still so much to learn about the virus, so for how long we remain so, is anyone's guess. Our families are safe as is most everyone we know.

In the meantime, we fill our days with whatever we can, mostly by watching nature which brings peace and joy. May you share in that joy just a little bit through reading this blog.
Recently, I saw an article encouraging folks to keep a diary during the pandemic, a practice I highly recommend!

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead