Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A Nature Story

While I was typing my last post, Sunday afternoon, Bruce went down to the big lake where he meets with friends most afternoons, six feet apart, of course. Before leaving the house, I'd shown him the Anhinga photograph from the previous evening, and as such I wrote that he was pretty convinced it was some sort of natural material that was on the beak from the bird stabbing the bottom of the lake.
The photo above is one that I showed him, taken as the Anhinga was on the dock beside the red pontoon boat. Well, not long after he left, Susan texted that Bruce was on the lakeshore next to a big bird. Hmmm....

Upon returning Bruce told me that, indeed, that piece of "whatever" was still around the beak. I began getting a little nervous, wondering what it could be, and why it would not come off. So, early the next morning, just after sunrise,
I went in search, riding my bike down to the dock where first I spotted it. Sure enough, the Anhinga was sitting on top of the boat, at first curled up, but then it turned and looked straight at me.
The maintenance supervisor was already down at the pool and I enlisted his help. Alan put on some work gloves, climbed on the boat, and was quite close, but had second thoughts because of the sharp beak. Our worry continued growing. I rode home and Bruce and I discussed what to do, but by the time we returned it had flown off.

So, we practiced pickleball. At the same time, Connie, Gayle, and Susan were all doing their walk and when they got to the boat ramp, there was our bird which they examined. They began worrying. Then along came Patti and Lauren who joined the worrying crowd. After watching the bird fly to a nearby dock, Lauren got on her paddleboard, hoping to get close, yet again, the bird took off.

Once I was home, I got on my bicycle to check out a front porch nest. Say what? Yes, the day before I heard from Nancy that, although they are spending most of their time at their New Smyrna Beach condo for safe keeping, she had to come into Orlando for an errand on Friday, discovering a tiny nest in the wreath on her front door. She called to ask if I could check it out and tell her what kind of bird it is. Sure, I can do that.
Can you find her? It's a little Carolina Wren who has made a nest in the back part of the wreath! These are tiny birds with a powerful voice, whose song can be heard from a long ways away. Here's all I could get of the inside of the nest once she'd flown off.
Having told her I'd keep my eye on it daily, that was my mission. They live adjacent to the boat ramp so, after my wellness check, I rode around the corner and there was our bird.
Most of the time I don't carry my phone around, however, on this occasion I did, so I called Bruce. One thing I'd forgotten to mention is that he'd made calls to all of the bird rescue operations that we are aware of before we went to play. The first caller could not help, but gave him numbers of others who might be able to do so. During one of his conversations they recommended that he throw a blanket over the bird in order to hold it so as to remove the debris. He'd also been told to call Sea World, which he did, and was awaiting a return call. That is where things stood when I saw the bird again. As I was waiting for him, Lauren rode up on her bicycle and we talked about how sad we were because by now we realized it could not eat, and probably hadn't for several days. The landscape guys were there having their lunch so one of them joined the rescue party.
Inching closer and closer, Bruce was just ready to drop the quilt when the bird took off, going underwater as is their natural instinct. You have seen plenty of photographs of their behavior before in this space, so there is no need to rehash. As if I could have helped, I'd put my camera on my shoulder, better to hold the other towel Bruce brought, so there are no rescue shots to be shared. What happened is the landscape guy spotted it underwater, Lauren swooped in, grabbing it from behind, allowing Bruce the opportunity to remove the debris!! And to answer your question ahead of time, no one is sure what it was and it dropped from Bruce's hand before we could examine it further. Nevertheless, all of us were thrilled when it took off!
I just love this photo of the two of them, so thrilled with the happy ending. Look very closely and you will see a tiny speck of the Anhinga behind Lauren.

All afternoon, it was all we could talk about! So much so that we ended up going back to the lake to check on it, as one of the people Bruce talked to said they still might not eat. We already knew this one did not behave in that manner because after the rescue, B walked back to the ramp, and saw it with a fish! Well, this may, or may not be the one.
Following it down the dock, we wondered what it would do. I took a photo for comparison as it was surveying the territory at the edge of the dock.
Try as we might, we came to no clear conclusion. If I had to guess, our Anhinga is back out fishing and drying its wings normally, as that is what they spend their days doing.

Wasn't that an exciting nature story?

I suppose one of the things that most people find the hardest during this quarantine period is that the days run into one another, each day much the same as the last. Retired folks know how to do that well, however, the younger generation is used the hustle and bustle of life that while sometimes is overwhelming, at least it is more exciting than staying close to home. Many people I talk to are managing the best that they can, but are so looking forward to the day that they can once again, attend their yoga class, go clothes shopping, have lunch out, or attend a sporting event or concert. Bruce just mentioned that he had an upcoming meeting set for May 13th and don't we have camping reservations at Silver Springs State Park? We wish! Those were canceled weeks ago and not by me! There is a lot of criticism about our governor allowing municipalities to open their beaches, that it is not the right move. People are certainly entitled to that opinion, mostly formed from some reckless behavior of spring breakers who did not heed social distancing rules and were very likely not Floridians. I, on the other hand, have a hard time thinking how walking on the beach is any different than walking in a park. In fact, it is far easier to keep your distance on the shore than it is in a city park. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Today's paper reports that Orange County's tourist tax revenue is predicted to drop by over $100 million dollars, to no one's surprise. That same paper is laying employees off because advertising revenue has fallen precipitously. Bruce had his very first Facetime doctor's appointment the other day and even he mentioned that they are struggling to keep the practice going. BTW--just a little check up, Bruce is fine. The dominoes continue to fall don't they?

Thankfully the ducks just keep having babies,
and the two orphans seem to be hanging in there. I sat by the lake, under the tree canopy,  finishing the book I've been reading, Henry Himself, and the orphans came onshore with that big new family of ten ducklings to eat the seed Julie leaves for them.
I guess they are, against all odds, what you might call survivors. Praying that we all will be.

your friend,

Gail


No comments:

Back at the Homestead