Friday, January 15, 2021

Back to Birds

Right now, the weather is fine. More than fine actually, the kind that helps a person understand why people from Northern climates flock to Florida for the winter.  Not just people, birds do as well. Many mornings, in the last week or so, the air is filled with the chattering of hundreds of American Robins feasting on the many Camphor trees on the property. Fuel for migration. Isn't it just astonishing to think about migration, how the birds know where and when to go? I, for one, find it amazing. I've looked for the film, Winged Migration, on streaming services with no luck, but I can say, unequivocally, that it was one of the most profound pieces of filmmaking that I've ever seen. And that was even before I was a bird nut!

So, without further ado, let me show you some of the birds I've been enjoying, some new ones, as well as some old favorites. 

It has been such a pleasure having these beauties visit again, some normalcy in the midst of the pandemic. 

Speaking of which, cases continue to skyrocket in Florida, making us ever so grateful that we were one of the lucky ones to receive the vaccine. A few days after I'd written the earlier post, which you can read HERE should you have missed it, the hospital just down Orange Avenue from us began giving out the vaccines and about six friends were able to receive theirs without incident. Others have not been as fortunate as all of the doses have been given out already. Here's hoping they will once again have an allotment. No one I know has had any more of a reaction than a sore arm, although Carolyn did witness one at the hospital that must have been scary! Closer to home, Peg is steadily improving, never having had to be hospitalized, and Yvette says that she feels just fine. Whew!

Try as we might there was nothing we could do to help the Anhinga who, after six days, looked like this.

The shot above was taken some days ago and I've not seen the bird since, making us wonder the outcome. It is hard to imagine that, with all that goop keeping the beak shut, it could survive. 

Ibis have been finding space in the trees out back,

as has this unidentified bird.

It happened one gray day that not only were there scores of Robins, but the above bird as well. Now you might think it is a Crow, and maybe it is some type of one, however I ran into a fellow named Andrew who worked for Florida Fish and Game Bureau who is well versed in birds, and he could not figure it out either. It did not help that with no blue sky to provide contrast, it was really hard to make out the features.

When we first moved here, it really bothered me that there were downed branches along the shoreline and I did not hesitate to retrieve them for aesthetic purposes. Well that was just plain dumb of me. Over time I've learned that they are a vital part of the ecosystem, providing a place for birds to perch when they are not swimming as evidenced by this pair of Mallards.

With glee I spotted two pairs of Hooded Merganser ducks two days ago; I'd nearly given up hope that they would visit this year. That said, they are maddeningly difficult to photograph because either they hang out in the deep shade, or swim too far out for my lens capability. Let's just say that there were dozens of trashed shots and still this one is lacking because it is only two males. I'll keep trying because the female bears very little resemblance, a characteristic which is not uncommon in the bird world.

Aren't they just awesome?? So smart with that color scheme. Speaking of color, the other morning the weather was not ideal, so instead of playing pickleball, I went for a walk around Lake Davis. I mention the gray sky because when that is the case, the water looks more like a blank slate rather than the reflected blue of the sky. I present a Blue Teal duck.

That same day I went over to the nearby wetlands adjacent to the cemetery where I saw a passel of Wood Ducks and lots of bare Cypress trees. 

I think I learned to appreciate bare trees more from living in Vancouver that glorious year. There's just something about being so close to the circle of life that feels very soothing to me. 

Walking around Lake Haven there, I saw a new bird! A tiny one, that's for sure, which I have now identified as a Black and white Warbler.  About the size of the palm of your hand.  

While thinking about small birds, holy cow, one of them, a Carolina Wren,  came into our house unbeknownst to me, that is until I saw it in Bruce's office, flying from place to place to perch. (I hate it when the formatting goes haywire and I would fix it if I knew how!)

Not to mention poop, as it seems that when they are frightened, it is a natural reaction. So, what did I do? Panic, sort of. First, of course, I grabbed my camera, followed by, "what the heck am I going to do?" thoughts. Well, before long it flew into the living room, followed by landing atop the ceiling fan in the sunroom. Quickly, I shut all of the sliding glass doors, opened the back screen door and hoped for the best. It worked, but not before it pooped on our white sofa! 

How about I show off some cookies to give you another quick visual, a somewhat sweeter one.

Made from an old recipe that called for old fashioned rolled oats, coconut and chocolate chips. Yup, lots of butter and sugar too. 

That made you feel a little better, now didn't it? 

Back to backyard birds, I could not have been more pleased than when I saw this image come off of my camera card. Although last year there were some fun shots of the Red Bellied Woodpecker and chick, it is that red bellied part I want you to appreciate, my first time showing it off to full advantage.Robins galore!

Moving back indoors, here's something completely crazy, however from what I've read, not to be entirely unexpected. This came in the mail three days ago.

Opening it up, I was astonished to find a Christmas card, mailed on December 16th from Steve and Liz in New Hampshire!! Seriously?

I learned from Matthew that they have yet to receive our Christmas card, however, they have received  thank you notes for our gifts. It was only just yesterday that the utility bill arrived, two days after being due!! What the heck?? In other mail news, are New Years cars becoming a trend? I've received three of them. 

On the other hand, the postman delivered a special birthday gift from Matt and Tom yesterday afternoon. One of Matt's photos made into a jigsaw puzzle, taken during their trip out West. Yeah, the same one that was cut short back in March due to the pandemic. That was a story that could not be made up as they dashed back to England before the borders closed!

It is seemingly impossible for me to ever sort out the edge pieces on the first go round. 

Well, I hope you've enjoyed the birds as much as I've enjoyed photographing them. I will sign off, or make that fly off, showing you a photograph that is one of those types that you hope you got, but the action was so quick, most of the time you don't. 

Taken right outside our front door.

Aren't we the lucky ones?


your friend,


Gail

p.s. Matt sent me this interesting article about Inventor of the Q code. Turns out it was based on the barcode.


1 comment:

hope andrea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Back at the Homestead