Wednesday, January 6, 2021

So Long 2020

I would say it has been nice to meet you 2020, but that would be only partly true. Who wasn't looking forward to my birthday this year, what with it being the last day of 2020? And now that the vaccine roll out has begun, dare we imagine that when my 68th birthday rolls around, we will be back to "normal." Let us hope so.

As is always the case with us, there is a lot going on and I suspect the same holds true for everyone reading this blog post. So, where do I begin to document the final days of 2020 and the start of what we hope will be a happy new year? 

Why not begin with a favorite topic in this space which all of you know starts with the letter B? 

Patty knows my favorites and her generous Christmas gift was a welcome one. Beautifully illustrated with loads of interesting information, it is a real gem of a book.

We played pickleball in the morning of my birthday followed by lunch. So? Well, I'd asked Bruce not to get me anything, saying instead that I wanted a sub from Jersey Mikes which was as delicious as I'd hoped, followed by a mini carrot cake from Publix. 

The book in the foreground is a gift from Jonathan and Alissa and it, too, is a real gem that I've already learned a lot from. As well, they gave me a set of two pickleball paddles which we put to use right away.

As a matter of fact, they were a big hit with several of the ladies who tried them out as well. I neglected to mention that when we returned to our condo, a beautiful arrangement was waiting from Bill and Fallon.

Meanwhile David and Michelle were showering me with gifts including alerting Bruce that they had put in an order for pizza for our dinner. Seriously? We did not open the MAGNUM of 2012 Cabernet to go with our pizza, a treat for another, dare I say, week? Several days anyway!

Adding to all of the above excitement, the Robins returned and brought along a few of their Cedar Wax Wing friends!!

I was thinking it was early for them both, but checking back in my blog, my thinking was off. There was a cacophony of bird song as hundreds of them were flitting through the trees.  As you can well imagine, this blogger was stoked! The same holds true to seeing the otter who has been mostly absent for a while.

Speaking of absent, I was thrilled and worried when I saw the American Kestrel pair at the site of last years nest that the chick fell from. One of these days I'm gong to get a super good shot of them!

While I am on the topic of being worried for a bird, while out photographing the sunrise Sunday morning, I was seriously dismayed to see another Anhinga with a compromised beak.

I watched for a while as it tried to free itself by rubbing it on the branch,

however, no success was forthcoming. The day was gloomy, albeit very warm, and for a while I forgot about it. That is until about one in the afternoon when I thought to go check it and there it was, in the same place. I put a call into Audubon explaining that it was on a branch hanging over the lake. She had me call Orange County Animal Welfare; after waiting for a person for 16 minutes, I explained the situation. They said because the beak was effectively closed that it was an emergency and they would send someone out within the hour. They were true to their word, however, when she arrived with a net on the end of a short pole I knew it was a waste of time.

Amazingly, it is three days hence, well, really, almost four, and the bird is still alive, but for how much longer is anyones guess. Should he ever come onshore we will do, and that we actually means Bruce (!), what we can to save it. I'm guessing, since this is the second time we have come across this, it is fairly common for these birds with a crazy sharp beak. 

Oops, I forgot to warn you that there are loads of photos in this post!! Carry on...

As is our custom, on new year's day we took our tree down and frankly, it was not a moment too soon as the branches continued both dropping needles and drooping so low the ornaments were on the ground.

Needles galore!!

Together we removed and packed all of the lights and ornaments, followed by Mr. Peck cutting about a foot off the top of the tree. (10' ceilings)

He then grabbed the trunk, pulled it out through the sunroom and out the back door with force,

leaving hundreds of needles in his wake!

Aren't we lucky we have the grass behind us? Some units are not quite as fortunate.

While he was hauling it out front and putting it atop of his car to take down to the site where they are collected, I did the clean up, at the same time doing laundry. We do love beginning a new year with a clean slate, however, I am no longer the worker I once was. Between the tree, laundry, and several hours of pickleball, I was pooped and finally sat down with a glass of wine to rest. While I did love that tree, it was nice being able to, once again, see the lake. 

The Edison book, pictured on the table, has been so interesting that I'm about half way through it already. 

Don't you just love winter clouds?

I would say that for the last two months, our duck population has been almost nonexistent, a fact that had me in a bit of a snit, however, I am happy to report that while typing this I have seen about a dozen out of my bedroom window. Yup, the ducks are back! 
The air is dry and chilly and in other good news, we finally had a Cardinal come for refreshments!

It had been seemingly forever since a Northern Cardinal visited, making me especially happy to see this bright red gentleman. Hopefully he will bring his lady friend soon.

I'd planned on more photos, but how about I save the others for a rainy day? 

Edison is calling. 

your friend,


Gail






















No comments:

Back at the Homestead