Tuesday, April 20, 2021

It Could Always Be Worse

I have listened to that phrase a bunch in the last three weeks. No doubt I've said it to others in the midst of some sort of downturn and now I wish that I had been more sensitive.  Even the doctor said it. Not helpful at all. Going forward, I hope that I will squash my natural tendencies and just say that I am sorry, adding is there anything I can do to help?

Of course it could be worse! This is but a temporary setback, yet when a person is in the midst of things, it can be hard to remember that. In my case, just when I thought that I was on the upswing, what with having the cast removed, along came swelling in my hand and arm. It began swelling and kept at it. I've been told that it is normal, but it feels anything but. It was only when I sat down to write and upload photos from my little camera for this post that I discovered I'd taken a photo on the day it began swelling.

Ha ha, little did I know that it would get much worse in spite of icing and elevation. The good news is that this morning I am cautiously optimistic that it is receding a tiny bit. Bruce has been so worried, especially when I move my arm while sleeping, waking him with my moaning.  Who knew how difficult this would be?? 

Enough of my whining...

Friends continue to amaze me with their thoughtfulness. One day last week a deliveryman from In Bloom came knocking with a gorgeous floral arrangement from Barb and Steve. He was kind enough to bring it inside.

In the first week, Matt and Tom had an Apple TV box delivered, providing me with more entertainment options. Mary visited Sunday afternoon, returning within the hour with a sack full of books, all of which look very promising. I'd mentioned that Bruce drove me to the library last week.

It has been well over a year since last I visited the downtown library and it was a real treat, made even more so when I saw a friend's oil painting on display.

He also took me to Lake Davis in order for me to use my camera, photographing the rite of Spring, new birth. Apparently the neighbors have taken this oddly placed nest under their wings. Pun intended! Make of it what you will.

Wow! Seven cygnets!

It made me so happy to run into fellow photographer and birder, Candy, who oftentimes keeps me abreast of our local birds. I am so blessed to have a handle on my Olympus camera making it much easier to use with one hand 

Another delicious surprise from Dave and Sandy. Whoa, was this cake yummy, and just the right size for sharing.

It is Magnolia season again. One sits at the end of our walkway and truth be told, it is not the best specimen except for when the fragrant blooms open for business. And what business is that you ask?  Bee food for now, and later on the squirrels will eat the giant seed pods.

About once a week I see a new batch of Wood Ducks,

oftentimes up to ten, however, after another week passes, there is but one remaining. There are an abundance of hungry hawks around here, and more recently, roaming cats who sit and wait for them to come too close to shore.


Saturday afternoon Dave called insisting we come down to the pool for a cookout. 

Perhaps while reading this post you are thinking, how uncomfortable could a swollen hand and arm be? I get that, for sure. All I can say is that it has made this old lady not her usual upbeat self. Thus I am not the best company, however David would not take no for an answer. It did me good to get out. The food was great, followed by a ride in the pontoon boat. That is David driving along with friends Eddie and Garrett enjoying the perfect weather.

A few weeks ago the big lake was treated for algae, or so we think. In any case the lake looks more like the Caribbean than a spring-fed freshwater lake. Stopping the boat, they jumped in.

Seriously, it is really remarkable, both in clarity and color. 

Once back ashore, Mrs. Camera Crazy went home, finding this beside the front door.  

An anonymous donor! Turns out, after some sleuthing, that Sherry K. had come knocking, leaving bread and soup. As if that wasn't enough, Sunday evening, Carolyn and Patty arrived at the same time bearing dinner. My goodness, I am being spoiled left and right!

Off topic, before I forget, a few weeks ago, Bruce helped Bill to turn his old kitchen cabinets into an inviting garage storage space. Those would be guitar cases on the upper shelves.

We introduced Bill to pickleball and he too, is now hooked. A group of men play Monday and Wednesday nights and those times are becoming one of the highlights of his week. It definitely helps that he is getting good very quickly. Not to mention that he is young, strong and quick. 😀

Yesterday morning I called the doctor's office the minute they opened. Actually I called twice, once leaving a message on a machine, and one time I actually talked with someone. The machine assured me that messages left before three would be answered that day. So much for that. This morning a receptionist called to say that the PA said that my balloon hand was normal and to ice and elevate. A fat lot of good that has done me. 

And so I will continue following directions. In the meantime, I am drinking chocolate milk, hoping to add a wee bit to my body's natural ability to mend the fracture.

As well, I am keeping in mind that "it could always be worse." A silver lining is that my hunt and peck typing is improving as are other small tasks. It could have been my right hand after all! 

your friend,


Gail















No comments:

A Week Ago Tuesday