Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Wrinkles Welcome!

Let's begin with some exciting news today. For the first time since the pandemic began, I HAD A PEDICURE! Check this out.

Bruce took me to Nail Spaz yesterday morning and it was fantastic. Although the place name is suspect, the chairs are comfy and the workers nice. Yesterday I had Nancy who has recently moved here from Chicago. And how do I know this you ask? So I was feeling a wee bit sketchy about going because in the novel I am reading, On Earth We are Briefly Gorgeous, the narrator's Mother does nails and the depiction of how hard it is, year after year, made me cringe. A note of caution, the novel is not for everyone as there is violence in many forms depicted. 

I asked her about her job and she claimed the hardest part is the customers. It is good to be reminded that every job is difficult in its own way and deserves our respect.

As this post is meant to be upbeat, here is another good thing that has happened. We took one of Bruce's dress socks and he made me a comfortable cover for my arm that stays in place.

The fabric is very soft and there is a bonus, it is clean, A cup of tea spilled on the one I was given and it did not come out. I take both this and the splint off to do the exercises and they continue to be difficult, fortunately done without tears now. One way to think about them is if you went to the gym for the first time in ages and got very sore. But then you went back four hours later and did it again, and again in another four hours. Because it has been 85 days without the use of my hand it is stiff and sore. The pain, you will be happy to learn is minimal until I push myself to do the exercises, over and over. One thing that is helping is I am using an old friend, the heating pad.

I wrap my hand for about ten minutes and it helps to loosen my joints.  Every little thing I can find to make it easier is a blessing.

On Saturday afternoon I accompanied Bruce to Bill and Fallon's house where I sat on the couch while others were busy. Giuliana, Fallon's best friend, came over to decorate for the party to be held that evening. In exceptional news, she is getting closer to graduating from er corse work to be a Nurse Practitioner! 

Bruce and Bill had a deadline to finish the closet by her birthday and they made it just in time. Woo hoo!

For the longest time I've had a magnet on our refrigerator, a quote from Mark Twain that reads, "wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been". I seriously have no recollection buying it, in part because I generally don't go in for, shall we say, inspirational quotes. Plus magnets are what I buy while traveling. Inexpensive and reminders of special times.  So where am I going with this? Beats me!

Seriously, no one really likes wrinkles that is unless you had some and they have gone AWOL. As such, when I got up this morning I was encouraged to see a tiny bit of wrinkling on my thumb. Hold your hand out and look at your thumb? See all the lines around your joint? For 85 days now, I've had a thumb devoid of those lines. A stump, if you will.  Is there light at the end of the tunnel? By golly, I think there is!

Kelly was my therapist today while Lisa is in New Jersey. She was super good, massaging my thumb and never admonishing me for putting my elbows on the table. Plus I played with toys! Check out this progress!

When I told her that I had done the foam blocks with relative ease at my last session, she had me graduate to three blocks.

Damn exciting stuff. Am I on my way yet? It seems like it.  

There are more ducklings! Peek-a-boo!

This week the mail brought something amazing, a quilted card that is a beautiful piece of art.

Made by the talented Sharleen, the founder of our local chapter of Days For Girls, it is exquisitely done and the generosity of this gift overwhelmed me with gratitude. I can't wait to show it to Ann, a fellow quilter and artist, when she and Liz pick me up tomorrow for lunch. Oops, Liz will appreciate it as well because she, too, is an artist.

Can you believe it? I am going places again.  In another few months, I may just be a new woman.😀

We watched an excellent, albeit sad, documentary the other day, that you might enjoy.

Finally my darling Bruce enjoyed a fine Father's Day, going out to lunch with Bill and David and having a lengthy chat with Jonathan. Matt called from London but his dad was doing one of his favorite activities, playing pickleball, when the call came in. 

Keeping the positivity going, I remain, your friend,


Gail









No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety