Saturday, July 3, 2021

Freedom Day

Yesterday morning I went in the pool. Not my customary "jump in" method, rather a gentle drop in off the deep end steps. In spite of the overcast weather, it was heavenly being suspended in the cool water. At first it was a bit of a dog paddle using my right hand, but it wasn't long before I began using my left. The swelling in my digits continues to diminish and my finger movement is miles ahead of where it was at this point in my first break. This morning though, I have to admit that I am a little weepy because of the shoulder problem that has developed as a result of my holding my arm in such a weird fashion for so long. Apparently it is not unusual to develop a "frozen shoulder" but it is not something I was either mentally or physically prepared for. That said, doing some of the exercises in the pool was far easier than on dry land. So much easier, that in my optimism, I did more than I should have and paid for it later. Slow and steady is how I will win this race, a lesson I've yet to learn.

At Thursday's appointment, I requested the surgical report so now I know the name of the inserted device. The image below is enlarged a bit on her laptop, her being Dr. Patel's PA, so a few of the lower screws are cut off from sight.

She recommended that I continue to wear my splint while I was outside the house, however, as I was leaving and Dr. Patel saw me wearing it, he called out to me to quit wearing it and keep on moving my wrist. Thus, today's title referring to freedom. Having a splint or cast on one's arm for so long is no fun. Earlier he'd checked the red spot on my arm and pronounced it no big deal.

During my therapy sessions Lisa has been monitoring it so I had already learned that it is a stitch working its way out of the incision. Speaking of Lisa, she has been treating my shoulder as well as my wrist with exercises, heat, cold and on Wednesday, a machine that looks like this.

Attaching these to my shoulder,

once turned on, it delivers little electrical signals to the area for pain relief. When I mentioned my shoulder problems to Lillie and told her how I was getting help from my therapist, she said most of them don't really care and will only treat what is prescribed. Asking her name, when I responded Lisa Cody, she said that I was in the best hands possible. Woo hoo...lucky me. 

She is usually treating several people at once, a few I've come to recognize, however a young woman arrived on Wednesday that I'd not seen before. Wow, hearing her story was really something.

Apparently she was going for a job interview and instead of taking an Uber she decided to use one of the motorized scooters that are popping up on our downtown streets. Instead of tripping on a sidewalk, she hit a manhole cover the wrong way and went flying over the handlebars, breaking her right wrist in the process. She was fortunate enough to be steered Dr. Patel's way after visiting another doctor initially. If only we had! And yes, somehow she also managed to get the job. 

We had the house cleaners come again last Monday, mostly to do the floors. Bruce is doing a wonderful job, but on occasion, it is nice to have help. I swear I have no idea how they get the cooktop to look so great.

I have been able to do some simple cooking as evidenced by the pan above, cooking rice. As well, I can make sandwiches and pour things. I even managed to make taco salad one night. Washing my hair, while I can now use my left hand, the shoulder problem prevents me from doing a great job. While I still cannot make a pony tail, I did manage to hold enough hair with my left hand to put a barrette in, so that's something. 

Ever since I purchased these orange lamps from Lightstyle, probably 12 years ago, they have graced the buffet. 

Having spent more time on our couch in the last few months, probably fifty times as much over previous months, I had trouble reading with the lamps on the end tables. Orange, but of course. Anyway, because the buffet lamps are taller, putting the light over my shoulder, I asked B to switch them out.

Far more useful in their new location. You might notice the extra pillow with the towel on it and that is for placing my arm on after I massage the scar with Aquaphor. Plus it is just plain comfortable for my shoulder! It is really hard for me to keep to my exercise schedule, not because of time but because of discipline. I have never been one much for exercise. That said, doing play-like exercise is fine and dandy. As such, I am incorporating play with this gift given to me from Matt many years ago. You can manipulate it any old way which is great for moving my wrist.

One thing I read in the surgical report was this:

I have made it clear that even with appropriate fixation and perfect anatomical reduction, she may not regain full range of motion. She may require second try surgery. She may have persistent pain. She wishes to proceed with surgery.

Sobering words to say the least. Thursday's visit also made it clear that there is no doubt that I will have arthritis in the wrist. How that affects me in the future is anyone's guess.

In the meantime, I must continue to focus on baby steps and my beautiful surroundings where daily I can watch bird life, sunshine and shadows. Plus the continued support from everyone.

Not to mention a recent rainbow. Bruce was out with David and some neighbors on the pontoon boat and I was so grateful he alerted me so that I might at least enjoy a bit of it. Apparently it was a double for awhile.

There are so many hardships people suffer the world over, each one unique and yet similar. Distress and despair. All we have is hope for better days ahead. While my situation is far from grave, the feelings of distress and despair have been an unwelcome byproduct of my injuries. And that's when a devotional has been helpful for me, in this instance, "the rainbow promise." At some point one has to force oneself to put things into perspective, right? 

Here's a little something fun that happened recently. I received a message from a woman who was going through her brother's possessions in Chicago following his death. She came across one of my photographs, still in the packaging with my phone number on the back. She could not imagine how he got it as his visits to Orlando were few.  While I had no answers it did make me think of my market days and the huge variety of people both visiting and selling. In order to lighten up this post a wee bit, here's a fun blog post from eight years ago entitled, As The Market Turns. If you weren't a reader in those days it will tell you a little more about where we have come from.

Lastly, I was able to type this with two hands without a splint, so that is what I call real PROGRESS!

your friend,

Gail






No comments:

Back at the Homestead