Thursday, December 30, 2021

Christmas Past

As you would expect, I've got a lot of ground to cover in this post, the last one of the year of our Lord, 2021. What a year, eh? Some positives for sure, but overall I wouldn't say it has been the best year globally, what with a slew of natural disasters and the Covid-19 virus ebbing and flowing. Yesterday's news claimed that there were more daily cases in the US than at any time since this blasted pandemic began. Just when we began to think it was abating, right? Although this strain seems to be milder, people are still dying preventable deaths, mostly because they refuse to be vaccinated. Tears for Fears had it right when they sang "It's a Mad World" back in 1982, although I suspect they had no idea how much madder it would become!

The blog.

You might be thinking, why does she keep it up? In some small way, it seems to matter to some readers. something that was brought to home in a text I received from the husband of my reader in Portland. I'd sent a condolence card saying that  I knew he didn't know me but I wanted to express my gratitude to his wife for being such a faithful partaker of the blog. He responded that indeed he felt he knew me because apparently she would read it aloud to him. It was a sweet thing to hear, thus I feel as if my efforts are not in vain.

And now my friends, let's move on to Christmas activities, or lack thereof. Matt and Tom sent this gorgeous arrangement which if you can imagine, 8 days later, still looks great aside from the tulips.

Last Wednesday morning Jonathan and Alissa arrived from Austin, safe and sound. Pretty much right away, I enlisted Alissa's help in cookie making. Using Bruce's Mom's recipe for gingerbread, I'd made the dough Tuesday afternoon, chilling it until she arrived. For a first timer in rolled cookie cutting and decorating she was a stellar student! Plus, she has way more patience than I do when it comes to the decorating aspect. We began with just using sprinkly stuff,

and because the yield is so high, on later batches we tried using frosting which while it tasted good, it was thicker than it should be and the spreading aspect left a little bit to be desired! 

Of course I insisted they see the incredible light display on Clemwood. No matter how many times I see it, the joy of the creators in this display shines through. ( no pun intended)

Pickleball Christmas Eve Invitational is what Keith dubbed this photo. Missing is Alissa who joined a little later.

Jonathan is on Bruce's right for those who do not know him. He took to it right away, although I can't say as we've convinced him to play at every opportunity, unlike Bill who is over here playing as much as time allows. 

Because of the pandemic, things were a little more low key than normal, but not nearly what it was in 2020 when we had what I called a "Porch and Screen Christmas".  Unlike last year, it has been warm as can be. Of course the coldest Christmas that we have ever experienced was this one which if you want to see snow, be sure and check it out! I've heard from Jackie and it has been extremely cold and far snowier than we experienced during our glorious year in Vancouver. 

We left the lights on for Santa on Christmas Eve and it was lovely seeing them from inside the next morning.

Our visit on Facetime with Matt and Tom was really good. We laughed, opened our gifts, and had the rare treat of seeing their resident garden fox. By then Jonathan and Alissa had joined us around the computer.

When the repacked package arrived from London, Bruce wondered if everything was intact and I'm happy to report that that was the case. Somehow my included birthday gift remained wrapped and it is pictured just below Bruce's hand on the right, decked out in adorable owl paper. Tomorrow I will open it and see what surprise awaits me.

Both Bruce and I received a bevy of thoughtful and generous gifts from our wonderful family. Two gifts are pictured below.

Matt and Tom are interested in my birding education which will definitely be expanded because it is a British book with new and exciting birds to see. Adjacent to that is a new quilting rule from Bill and Fallon which will replace the one below it that has seen loads of use over the years. It too, was a Christmas gift from Bruce, probably circa 1990. Since that time rulers have become way more sophisticated, so much more, in fact, it will take some  getting used to. 

Jonathan and Alissa took one trip  to visit friends during 2021 where they bought these pretty gifts.
Following that gift exchange, Bill, Fallon, David, and Michelle arrived for the day. We toasted the day with Mimosas and spiked egg nog along with some munchies.
With no one in the mood for photos you will just have to take my word for it, fun was had by all. Again the gifts were thoughtful and very generous, especially a weekend away voucher to St. Augustine. Closer to home, soon we will be indulging ourselves at Hillstones, a big favorite of ours. Michelle totally surprised me with this gift.
I needn't remind you that I love most things mid-century. I'd totally forgotten that she found this on Etsy when we were discussing the bowl I already have in this pattern. Here's something that I just learned about this style. Made by Universal Potteries out of Ohio, it was primarily sold in Sears stores beginning in the 40's. It is called a refrigerator jug. So fun!

For years and years we've eaten Christmas dinner with Lisa and her family, however Covid has put a stop to that because Danny has compromised health. So, yours truly, put together a meal that if I do say so myself, was pretty darn good.

December 26th I found myself looking out this window at 8:30 in the morning.
Maureen had a small set-back with a very low hemoglobin count so she was admitted to the hospital following a blood transfusion. After a year when I've had some disheartening experiences with healthcare workers, Zumelia, pictured with her back to me at her request, was a breath of fresh air!
She was so incredibly kind and gentle with Maureen; if I hadn't witnessed it with my own eyes I would find it hard to believe. Coming to Florida from Venezuela she was once a professional, but her options here were limited. That said, she kept saying how much she loved her job as a CNA and who am I to disagree? Maureen is back at Westminster, no longer anemic. :)

As I mentioned, we did very little however one day we went to Orlando Wetlands Park which they seemed to enjoy. I am always up for a birding excursion, so you know that I was happy. 
It's a bit of a strange place but there are gems to be seen if you keep a keen eye out which is what Jonathan is doing here.
Alissa and I had walked ahead, something that I regretted as soon as I learned that Jonathan saw some otters crossing the road!! I am happy to be able to show you a Purple Gallinule up close, unlike the ones I posted before when they were further away.
The days passed far too quickly but we are so grateful they were able to make the trip. Our last night together we tried going to Hawkers but none of us were up for a 45 minute wait, so instead we went to Mamak which did not disappoint. 
Then it was an early rising again for the Austin family, driven to the airport by the patriarch of our family, leaving the matriarch sound asleep. That said, I must have sensed their absence because I woke up at 5:30 to find them gone. Laundry ensued. 

While the decorations are still up, it won't be long before they too will be put away for another year. 
It was a good Christmas and really, the only thing that would have made it better was having Matt and Tom here with us. Extended family would have been good too. I've said it before and I suppose I will continue to do so, but gosh, having Facetime really is a blessing. 

Michelle is doing her best to make tomorrow's birthday into something in spite of my protestations. Do we really have to go out? Hurray...pizza will be in the house. Along with some good college football games!

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead