Saturday, October 21, 2023

An Unexpected Twist

That will teach me to go to the doctor when I am feeling just fine. 

That is Gracie, David and Michelle's dog who we saw last Sunday. She's looking at me thinking, what was she thinking?? Ha ha. She was happy to see us as was the family. Apparently they missed us and we most definitely missed them. We spent a wonderful lunch and afternoon together, although Michelle was still on her first European vacation, so our reunion will have to wait another few days.

Since last we met, I went to the doctor on the wrong day and then I went on the right day and then I went to see a cardiologist across the parking lot. Apparently my heart is acting up in a manner that gets people excited. I am not one of them, but I am doing my best to comply with their suggestions, including having an echocardiogram Thursday afternoon at ORMC. It was super easy and in a rare moment of me praising the healthcare workers, everyone was great. As is so often the case, my expectations are higher than other folks, however, in this instance, I was delighted as anyone could be when they are told that they need to go on a medication for the rest of their life! Why oh why do they feel the need to advertise? Just goes to show you what a big business the world of healthcare has become since I was involved.

It's a funny story how that day unfolded, but one thing that was not so amusing was when I was rushing home from what I thought would be a short appointment that went long, making a sandwich for lunch when the Publix pharmacy called and the nice woman asked if I was sure I wanted them to fill the prescription called in by the cardiologist. "It will be $445 for the month", she said. Taken aback at the audacity of the drug company to charge such an exorbitant amount, I gulped and said, "let me think about it." And then I ate my grilled cheese sandwich, brushed my teeth and went for my regular teeth cleaning. 

And to think we were only days removed from four months of utter bliss!

As is the case every time I shop for groceries, I wonder how in the world people are making it with the high cost of food and now experiencing firsthand, the high cost of a much prescribed medication. As it turns out, David is taking the same medication for the huge blood clot he suffered in his leg and his cost with insurance is $30. 

None of this makes any sense to me which is why I am moving on in subject matter to something fun. A game that I've heard of for decades, but never played, your favorite blogger had her first Bunco experience on Tuesday night. 

Just before we left for NC, Lisa and Rene organized our Dover Shores ladies of twelve into a Bunco group and I was one of those twelve. Until I up and left. Fortunately there were others, in my case, Wendi, who stepped in. No wonder the game has been around for so long. SO much fun, made even better when Rene announced the winners of the jackpot.

Yes, there was a bit of beginners luck with Shirley and me tying for first place. Our choice was to roll the dice to choose the ultimate victor, or split it.  Splitting was agreed on by both parties and we each went home $10 richer. Not that that will make a dent in the cost of the Eliquis....

All joking aside, we will make it work, but boy do I worry about those who cannot.

We made it down to the pool yesterday with our lunch on a paper plate to enjoy the glorious weather. 

Looking at photographs from a little more than a week ago, I can see that there is just something about the light here in Florida. Closer to the equator perhaps?  During the week one would think that it was one's very own private pool. Not so much on the weekends though. One thing we are getting used to is the absence of David, Michelle and Gracie. They lived here for so long and now they don't and I am thrilled for them because change is often a very good thing. We become so accustomed to the familiar, don't we?

Take a look at this tree!!! Do you recall when I was bemoaning the lack of foliage months ago? My, oh my!

And to think that Keith trimmed it several times!!! Our little garden area was a jungle when we arrived, however, a quick trimming of bushes and tidying, it is looking shady as you can imagine with such a tree jam packed with branches!

I am back to driving again and the baby car looks fab after my darling husband took it for a bath and wax. Driving down Ferncreek, this house is even more decorated than last year. I think folks who start something grand such as this, feel over time that they need it to be grander? Maybe I am wrong. While hard for you to see in the photograph, presumably the creator of this is in the side yard working with lighting. A nighttime visit is now required.

One unexpected twist was my doctor advising me to put the breaks on my burgeoning pickleball career until we get my heart situation in order. As you can imagine, the idea is abhorrent to me but I am complying, instead heading to my old haunt, Lake Davis, with my camera in tow. Watching all of the cracks and uneven pavement like a hawk, I never want to go through anything like this again!! (second broken wrist saga suffered from a fall there)

Like the riverwalk in Murphy, I am beside water and that is where the comparison comes to a dead end! The two could not be any further apart for any number of reasons, the first among them is the lake is encircled with beautiful and expensive homes, so nothing wild about this walk. Lots of animal and bird action though as you have learned from my countless posts detailing said action.

While not traditional by any means, the Cypress trees are beginning to show some fall color, while at the same time the reeds are dying back.

I am curious what you think of the above photograph. Personally I am a fan of the layers, the bright green, contrasting with the brown reeds and then the changing needles of the trees above. (The egret does not hurt.) Not everyone would see it my way though. I remember when I was selling photographs, I would choose all manner of things and my printer Roger would keep telling me to show what sells. Where's the fun in that? Sometimes he was right, but other times it was me. Interesting to remember how I conducted that business. These days I primarily concentrate on documentary type photographs, however, every now and again I think something is especially appealing and would have found its way into my baskets should I still be in the business of selling photography.

With the above photograph in mind, fall is here and with it all manner of COLOR! Not the type most folks associate with the season, but hey, it's Florida folks!

I took a walk through the front gardens, tended principally by Bill Needum, a resident who lives across the street, who spends countless hours making it beautiful. He is succeeding in his mission.

Another shade of red.

PINK!

And a definite Fall favorite, orange.

A shrimp plant in a color I find hard to describe....deep coral maybe? There are yellow ones too.

There were loads more, but I am not sure I am speaking to a flower crowd. Let me know and next post will be flooded with flowers!

I've yet to see an owl in the trees behind our place, but I did spot a Limpkin and it was quiet as a mouse, unlike parts of the year when they shriek like a banshee!

One of the cygnets born in the Spring at Lake Davis, tidying up.

I hope this post reassures you that this blog is not in danger of fading away due to my ailing heart, actually I am joking again, as I feel nothing out of the ordinary. In the overused words of the recent pandemic, "it is with an abundance of caution" that I am going through tests and taking a new medication. 

Using another overused phrase, "no worries" my dear readers.

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead