Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Ending January on a High/Low Note

We made it! January is nearly no more and we did just fine, if I do say so myself. Beginning the year with  Covid was not my idea of a great start to the year, but aside from being out of shape, we both have experienced no long lasting effects. Bruce is back to his senior body building ways and I am walking whenever the weather cooperates.

Because there is a lot of grey in the landscape seeing the bountiful Nandini berries is always a day brightener. Someone left these to decorate one of the park's picnic tables, or at least that is my version of the story. What were they thinking do you suppose?

The brilliant red is such a contrast to most everything around it, aside from the holly berries to be found in the three trees by the dozens.

I have been taking photographs like they are going out of style, so paring them down to a blog post is quite the task. Bruce told me he thought my last post was really good, however, from what I can tell, most people didn't come across it so here it is again. Why that is relevant is because in that post I mentioned we were soon to be heading out for dinner with some new friends and when it was time to go, this is what the drive was like.

Not ideal for older folks. Bruce is becoming somewhat more comfortable driving in the mountains, but when it is pouring and almost dark, well that makes for a bit of a tense drive. Nonetheless, we made it and had a marvelous time at their eclectic house and I mean that in a good way. The back yard sold them and no wonder when you have a waterfall right behind your deck!

They both follow a Keto diet and we were treated to some delicious food that was good for everyone. Another couple from church were there, Alice and Ron, who live near us. One thing that I have continued  thinking about are the delicious deviled eggs made from their own chickens. Twelve chickens to be exact.

While I was dying to see them, rain, dark and cold for that matter, kept me inside. We are so grateful to the folks who have made us feel so welcome during our time here in Murphy.

As you might note, all of the news so far has been good and that is because I am saving a little something, and really it is a minor set-back, for later in the post. 

Onward with good stuff! Winter is good! The light, at least when the sun makes an appearance, is fantastic!

Don't get too used to exciting bird shots, or at the very least interesting, because soon enough, with leaves on the trees, they will not be nearly so easy to spot.

No, we have not had any bluebirds near the house but they are fairly easy to find at the park adjacent to the river. Honestly I cannot get enough of those pretty birds.

Just this morning I saw a Tufted Titmouse enter Bruce's bird house several times!!! Checking out the real estate? Only time will tell.

Our feeders are emptied nearly as quickly as Bruce can fill them, providing, especially this obsessed woman, a lot of entertainment. Last week we had a new guest, a House Finch came to check things out.

I read somewhere that when one arrives, soon others will follow, and while that may be true it is hard to imagine, what with the volume of birds we have how they will find places at the table. It is so hard to depict in a photograph, but lets just say that there is a feeding frenzy going on throughout the day! And while this is not the article I first read, it does describe the bird "fight club" going on at one's home feeders. Here's hoping I can find the other article because I want to share it with Bruce, but anyway, after reading it, I watched ever more closely to see who would push the other one aside. Very entertaining indeed.Also entertaining was looking out and seeing some local bucks having a go at one another. It began like this and please forgive the quality because I was on the porch shooting through the screen, but let's check it out and you decide. 

Really I can see they aren't much, but in a few years I will only care that I caught the action! One afternoon as we were driving home and talking to Bill on the phone, we saw a big bunch of deer, and then another group, followed by a turkey crossing the road. Bill was loving it.

Rain has been plentiful and the creeks are rising. This is one that runs a long distance along one side of the property. I headed into the woods to get a good look.

I always take a walking stick because the fallen leaves, when wet, can be very slippery indeed! 

One low note I am slipping in here is that one reason I am out of shape is because day after day the courts have looked like this.

So it has not been the cold that, as I'd imagined say back in say September, but rain that has kept us from playing as often as is our norm . This morning Bruce went, in spite of last night's rain, and it must have been dried off because he has not returned. We did practice Monday afternoon once the sun came out and that is when I discovered that it was going to take some time for me to be back in playing shape! 

Aside from all of the above, another high note is that we have gone on two field trips in a row! The first was a scenic drive to nearby Young Harris, GA. That's one thing about our location, two other states are so very close! The drive is alongside a rushing river on winding roads, alongside fields,

AND with a view of the snow-capped mountains!

 Our destination was the easily found Cupid Falls that are situated adjacent to the road just down the way from the college.

Young Harris College is a very small liberal arts college founded decades ago by the Methodist church. Basically, you follow the street we are facing, rounding the corner and down a little ways and you come across a beautiful park with the rushing falls.

Seriously who doesn't love waterfalls? Especially when there is no strenuous hike involved. Sign me up!

More snow on the mountains from last week when it was quite cold. This week is starting off not nearly as frigid. In fact, most days it will be in the 50's which is nearly a twenty degree swing. Either way, I am good. Bruce is learning to layer. :)

A little ways down from where the falls are, we came across something unexpected. 
Isn't that the fun of exploring? You just never know what you will come across.

Here's looking at you kid!

Here's looking at you kid, part two.

Nearing the finish line folks, but not before showing off another exciting find. As we were driving back through the campus I saw a tree and asked Bruce to turn around. He is so great about that, in part because he is such a great husband, and in part because he is so used to it. As everyone knows lighting is key to great photographs and although I would like to have great lighting all of the time, it really is rarely the case. Either the light is too bright or there is not nearly enough as was the case with this scene.

Thank goodness for the exposure compensation feature on my camera. It allows me to add more or less to the exposure. No doubt you can guess which way I went to get this shot of a tree full of Cedar Waxwings.

To say that I was excited is putting it mildly.

Well dear readers, I have saved the low note for last. It won't surprise you in the least to learn that I have hurt myself once again. It happened yesterday afternoon during what was another exciting field trip and honestly I was so lucky because it could have been so much worse.

You might say to yourself, not again Gail, and I would respond, yes again! There is a reason injuries are called accidents because oftentimes they are inexplicable. How in the name of heavens I could have shut the car door on my thumb is just that, inexplicable. How I had the wherewithal to then open said door is also a mystery, but somehow I did. It hurt so darn bad. The back side is not great either. One reason I did not accompany Bruce to the courts today is not only the possibility of the a wet court, but the even worse possibility that I might get hit on my thumb. Getting hit on one of your digits is really painful any day of the week but when one is injured and cold, even this goofy lady is not signing up for that! 

I am so glad that I was able to type and write this love letter to life. So while January had some low notes, the highs most definitely outweighed them. What, pray tell, will February bring?

your friend,

Gail

2 comments:

wen said...

Loved this! And I am so sorry you hurt yourself!

wen

PS. played ball with your sis yesterday!

Gail Peck said...

So I heard Wendy! Thanks for reading friend.

Back at the Homestead