Thursday, February 8, 2024

Elk, Cookies, Birds and More

 Have you ever wondered what a female elk looks like up close? Wonder no more my dear readers.

Feel free to return the stare.

I took this through the trees, thus the shadow, but I am happy to have gotten the moist snout and the bright eye. And, where pray tell did I take this. Read on!

Ever since I became aware that elks were present in Cherokee, NC, I have been dying to go and see them. Like for five months or so. Woo hoo, we went last week and it was not only beautiful weather, but a glorious day, that is until I smashed my thumb. I have every confidence that you will be happy to know that while it still hurts, I am managing. We are back to playing and practicing pickleball which is making both of us very happy indeed. 

So let's go to Cherokee, shall we? The day began frosty as we made our way through Andrews, the part of the drive that you already know I love so much.

The mountains on both sides, the fog, the fields framing the road, trees, crossing the river several times, what pray tell is not to like?

Then you get to the foggy parts,

not to mention windy! Bruce is doing such a great job driving us on all of these unfamiliar roads, but one thing that still bothers him is the notion that he might be going slower than the locals. That said, his confidence is increasing which each road trip.

Coming into Bryson City it was still foggy and overcast.

Although we spent no time there, one thing really caught my eye, necessitating a turn-around-the block and stop situation.


Not only was the mural super sweet and fun, but when I looked in the shop window I was dying over a displayed dress that was so cute, but so unavailable because they were closed. Not just because it was a little bit early, but because they have winter hours and are only open a few days a week, something we have discovered is not uncommon around these parts. Maybe another day we will return when I can go into the shop and perhaps come out with the Madison Look!

The Great Smoky Mountain Railway begins in Bryson City, helping the local economy immensely.  Perhaps folks that come to ride it stay here?

This is our first time being in a touristy area so things looked quite different as we approached the entrance to the GSM National Park. Lots of old-school motels along the way with super great signage.

The sign reads vacancy and indeed there were no people, but holy cow was there a lot of junk in front of it!

The Pink Motel! Love it!!

I was getting more and more excited as we got closer, as was Bruce, however, we were disappointed as we made our way through Cherokee because it is SO touristy!! For my Orlando readers think International Drive with mountains surrounding it! 

Before leaving the cottage I called the visitor center to see if elk were present on that day to which the employee replied that "yes they were but how far away are you?" When I told her Murphy she said, well then, I can't guarantee that they will be here when you arrive to which I replied, "I guess we will just take our chances." Although it is about 60 miles away it is most certainly not an hour away due to mountain driving! Lo and behold, look what we came across as we were approaching the center. Yeah, we were not pickled! Oh wait, this isn't pickleball! That term means that your opponents score 11 while your score is 0.

This was our first view of the herd, albeit from afar.

The visitor center is to the left of the image, as is the old farmstead, a group of buildings culled from throughout the park that were moved to make this exhibit.
Here is the man of the house as we are walking back from the river walk. 
Well look here..it is the Pecks having fun in the crisp weather!
Selfies are not usually our thing, but it was too pretty of a day to not document our visit. We went on the river walk because the elk were gathered at the tree line on the other side of the walk which, while a little challenging through said trees, gave us a little closer look.
We learned from a lovely older couple that what you are seeing is the bull of the herd who has forty gals in his harem!! When we first arrived we had seen him from the back and wondered about there being any more males.
There was one more with a broken antler who mixed in with the ladies.  Bruce kept reminding me of the signs which said to say at least 50 feet away which was not all that easy to do on that walk! Oh my the river was pretty!
The farm exhibit was great as well. I took this photo to demonstrate how every part is built on the stacking principle. Pretty neat, huh?
I was very interested as well in these purple martin houses made out of gourds as they would have been done back in the day.
As we were leaving, one more appeared along the roadway, something that apparently occurs with frequency. Well heck, we saw one on our way in as you might recall.
It was an awesome visit to the gateway of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The drive home was fairly straightforward, but unfortunately we missed our turn so went on a crazy winding road to hook up with our original route. There was this lovely view which will be impossible in a few months time because of the kudzu. We are really puzzled as to why they don't do more to rip it all out in the winter, but what do we know? Someone has a reason, or perhaps it is lack of employees, but in any case between the trees and the kudzu we would have seen not much. Instead, a glorious view on a glorious February day.
And then I shut my thumb in the car door in Franklin marring what up till then was a perfect field trip. We were vacillating about getting lunch and then wondered if we had some crackers or the like in the back seat of the car. That was the mission that went awry. What saved me, aside from it not bleeding what with me being on blood thinners and all, was, when I could speak again, I said I needed ice quickly. Turns out within two or so blocks there was a McDonalds where we did get something to eat and ice for my thumb. It still hurts like a son of a gun, but I suspect it will for a while. I am managing. 

I've been meaning to show you this beautiful cake that was part of the church luncheon a week or so ago. So pretty and it was delicious too. 
Let's talk about baking and I mean in my own kitchen. Here's a question for you--have you ever wondered what would happen if you used the wrong leavening agent while baking cookies? Probably not. I shall spare you the experiment because I've discovered the answer purely by accident. Or, maybe I should say stupidity? At any rate, I had not baked cookies since Christmas, so when Bruce was asked whether or not he would like come chocolate chip cookies, well you can guess what his response was can't you? Never in all of my years of baking cookies have I ever used baking powder when the recipe calls for baking soda but now I have and here's what the cookies look like with that ingredient swap.
Generally I only bake one batch at a time so when the first batch came out looking like the above I wanted to blame it on the oven. So I adjusted the temperature which was high so I was sure that was the problem. Nope. Next I moved the oven rack and again I had cookies with a ring around them and very soft centers. Not to mention pretty tiny, but still I had no clue. Finally, after they were all nearly baked, I looked in my fabulous Joy of Cooking cookbook and upon reading their recipe, it hit me right away! I still wasn't willing to take the blame and went so far as to have Bruce get the empty chip bag out of the garbage, all the while hoping they had printed it wrong. Fat chance! 

So not only did I have the thumb accident, baked the cookies wrong and, here's a funny one. On our field trip I discovered that I had put my leggings on inside out!! I fixed it at the park bathroom and in my defense they are black on both sides, but still. What next? I wish I were not so clumsy or stupid but one needs to call a spade a spade when one sees one!

Oh wait, here's another crazy thing. I ordered a new muffin pan and did not check the proper delivery option so it went to Orlando along with a new jigsaw puzzle from Amazon. Not wanting to bother with returning it from afar, nor bothering friends, I ordered another one and let me tell you it is a winner and worth every penny. Get this...no greasing the cups required! 
The pop right out and a little water in the hot pan softens any remnants. Perfection!

The puzzle I ordered to replace the one that is in Orlando was a beauty and although I got off to a great start, I had to bring in the calvary. Unlike me, Bruce sorts the pieces in a tidy fashion.
Together we finished it and isn't it just so pretty? Gallison is the manufacturer. 
I know there are those amongst you that can complete a puzzle of 1,000 pieces, without even looking at the picture I might add, however, this couple is sticking with 500 which is challenging enough for us!

While many folks have thought we should have returned to Florida for part of the winter, as has been repeated a number of times, I am enjoying the winter and Bruce is growing to like it as well. (note big smile in our selfie!) We considered coming home for a few weeks, but why quit in the middle of an experiment? What if it snows and we miss it? Although it has been unseasonably warm here, cold weather is still very much a possibility. And then there is this:
The garden you have now become familiar with because of the feeders and hot tub has multiple groups of sprouts and I can hardly wait to see what happens next. I am beginning to appreciate how much having seasons changes ones life and seemingly, in many ways, for the better. It gives a person something to look forward to and I don't mean the end of greater summer and beginning of lesser summer like it has always been for me in Florida. The days are lengthening and it now feels sort of weird for it to be light after 6pm. Are you feeling the same? 

And in the last of today's exciting news, look what happened last week.
You would think I was some sort of scientist or something what with the amount of time I spend watching the birds come and go. In spite of all of that time I have not seen my couple again since I took the above late last week. My gut tells me they will return when they are good and ready, but I am hoping it will be sooner rather than later. I caught them eying out the property that day so I know they are interested.
Here's a little something though....who knows what prompted me to do so but I have been keeping a list of birds that have come to the feeders or the ground below, which btw, we had a new guest this week in the form of a Hermit Thrush, but anyway, I went through my photo albums and discovered that I have photographed a lot of different species in my days. To the tune of 135! I agree that with 10,000 species in the world it is a mere drop in the bucket but I am excited nonetheless.

Well folks, that's all the news that is fit for print from Charlotte's Cottage. Never fear, there will be more.

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead