Friday, February 23, 2024

A Somewhat Local Park and Surprisingly, Birds!

Before we head over to Meeks Park in nearby Blairsville, I've got a few things to report. One is that, after all these months, we have an unwelcome visitor outside our living room window and even worse, he  sometimes brings a buddy, like this morning when there were literally dozens and dozens of birds, either at the feeders or on the ground. The two squirrels arrived, chasing one another up the tree and down, causing a mass exodus.

It is quite the site seeing that many small birds take off at once! Sometimes they do that same thing and it always puzzles me.  I wonder what do they feel that they all fly off en masse? Do they even have feelings? So far I have seen very few raptors, so that can't be it, unlike at home where hawks are everywhere. Honestly, I even wonder how the heck they have all found the feeders, after all, this is a 10 acre property, so what is it? How do they even know it is there? One of the many, many mysteries of life I suppose. 

There are so many that we've just bought another 50 pound bag of seed as the first batch is down to one small container. This morning, while sitting beside the window and watching their movements, the sheer number of them was astounding, primarily Goldfinch and Pine Siskins, with a few other solitary birds in the mix. There were four Mourning Doves, the most ever, that is until the squirrels chased them off. Back to the squirrels, surprisingly they have not even attempted to get to the feeders, probably because the ground below has plenty, and I mean plenty of seed to consume. See above! Below, this feeder lasts a little more than one day.

I will say that there is plenty of entertainment value from that $26.00 bag of seed!

Patti called me the other day saying she had just recently read a blog post that featured the bluebird couple. My response was that they had not returned, much to our sorrow. Well, apparently she brought us good luck because look who did come back, both the day pictured below, and yesterday morning as we were leaving for me to drive Bruce to church where he had volunteered to help paint. One of them even went in the nest box for a look-see. Will they nest there? That is the $64,000 question!

I got off track because I am so excited about the birds, but secondly, I meant to report last week that on February 14, 2007 I began writing Camera Crazy. Now that is crazy, and even crazier is that I have no intention of quitting any time soon! From being a college student who was dealing with a mysterious illness to typing this post in a tiny town in North Carolina, and everything in between, all can be found on the webpages that make up our online story. All fours sons married, Bruce's mom died, Carol and Maureen died along with others near and dear to us. I've said it before, and I will say it again, the best part of being a blogger is that all events are reported as they happen.  Well maybe a week or so later, but you get my drift. No relying on this poor memory!

Two more things before we head out on our field trip in this post and that is this picture of Charlotte's Cottage and the plants surrounding it. 

It won't be long before this all changes, along with my clear view of the birdies, but I guess I will cross that bridge when we come to it.  As it happens, I will be posting photos, (surprise, surprise) and we can all enjoy the change of season together.

Lastly inside the cottage I was refolding my clothes and realized that this is a first for me; nearly everything in the drawer is a solid color. Where are the prints??? At home in Orlando, that's where.

People are always asking us our intentions and our response is that we are still in the experimental stage. I will keep you posted, if, or when, things change.

Okay, let's go to Diane's house and see her and the chickens.

All eleven have names should you wonder! I believe I mentioned that Lori took me to see her nearby house and what a treat it was. A highlight was the beautiful koi pond in her front yard, such as it is. Actually, they have acreage, as do many folks around here.

Apparently, before long bulbs will be bursting with joy from the ground surrounding the pond. I can hardly wait for Spring. Nancy told me the other day I was going to go crazy and I suspect she is right! That would be one of the two Nancys I have met here.  

After touring her lovely home, Lori took me to the nearby property with goats, along with a supporting cast of two pot bellied pigs,

and a beautiful donkey. 

The donkey used to have a companion until it was killed, I believe by a bobcat! The goats were so cute, including the billy goat whose ears reminded me of leather.

Kids!

More cute kids!

Are we lucky, or what? Having such experiences is just priceless to the two of us! She even took me to visit the nearby horses.

If you can imagine, sometimes I am at a loss for words thinking about how great our time here has been. That is, with a little help from our friends and family, specifically Nancy who is now our designated mailwoman. She's gathered a bunch, mostly income tax related and it is on it's way to us as I type. She is also driving the baby car occasionally so my sweet MINI Cooper will be in good shape when next I see it. 

We had talked about coming home in order for Bruce to have his annual physical, but instead we found a doctor in Blairsville, GA which is about twenty miles away. We drove there last week to not only find the office for reference, but to go to Meeks Park. Both turned out well. 

It was a cold sunny day, and I wore the coat Fallon gave me for my birthday and a knit cap Matt knitted, maybe six years ago, when he was in his knitting phase. I believe he is in his learning to speak French phase now.

We loved every aspect of this park, just beautiful, especially under such a brilliant blue sky.

I suspect the water is much higher later in the year, but what always interests me is seeing the river bed and thinking of folks boating over top of all those rocks. 

There were some cool metal sculptures that moved.


Along with a bridge named Bruce!

Well look who is standing on Bruce Bridge!

Lots of walking trails that we have yet to try, but we will most definitely be back. 

As we were leaving we came across something curious or weird, I'm not sure which term is appropriate. 
You might note the man sitting at the picnic table, or maybe not, so here's a closer look.

We had a chat with this man who told us he has been coming every day for, as I recall, 18 years to feed the birds and squirrels. He cracks open the peanuts, putting his hand out, and with the posture of the squirrel below, it sure seems like they know one another.

Adding to the story was when we passed by his car in the lot, there was only room for him, as the entire rest of the sedan was filled to the brim. Curious indeed!

We made our way into town and on a recommendation from Ruth, we visited Lucky's for lunch.

I imagine it must have been after two or so, thus the lack of a crowd because it sure is not because the food is not yummy. I ordered this taco because I wanted to try the pickled radish garnish.

I must admit with the other explosion of flavors I can't really give you an opinion on those radishes, but they were quite pretty. 

Our last stop was a little ice cream/candy shop where I found butter mints. Talk about bringing back memories of childhood. Always on Thanksgiving there would be butter mints. Plus, there were these cute finger puppets that I cannot believe are only $2!

Then again, there are dollar stores galore, so what do I know?

Lastly, I found a helpful gadget in the cabinet that houses all of the pans. A mini chopper that worked like magic.

We ere having barbecue and who eats that without cole slaw? And just why am I including something so mundane when I've got such beautiful subject matter to blog about? 

I want to remember that's why. I also used it to make homemade salsa so it has already won a place in my culinary heart. Duke's mayonnaise. Maureen would probably be aghast that I am not using Hellmans, but I'm a new convert. That's what living in the mountains will do for a gal.😀

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead