Wednesday, July 8, 2009

It's About Time

Frankly, I think I've been a bit lazy of late in both mind and body. I don't know if it is the heat, Bruce's tremendous workload and travel schedule, or my business, but it's been something. Anyway today is a new day and I approached it as such, finally using my bike basket to do a little shopping. Needing a sympathy card, I put a twenty dollar bill and debit card in my pocket, and peddaled up to Publix. Of course you knew I brought my baby camera now didn't you? I put it in the little back pouch Bruce got for my lock. Publix, by the way, has no bike rack, however it does have a couple of railings, presumably for the handicapped, which I used to safeguard my bike. Then I rode just across the street to the remodeled Freshfield Farms; for those who know Orlando, this is the former Momm's Meats and Popp's Produce.

Incredibly, Bill used to cashier in the produce part when it was not nearly as nice as it is now. He has definitely held more jobs than anyone else in the family, including, but not limited to: renting cars, print, runway and talent modeling, selling timeshares, pumping gas, valeting cars, selling bagels, and teaching guitar. With my poor memory who knows how many more there have been! These days, after earning his Economics degree, he is a banker of sorts. Not such a good time to be one, but with his track record, I know he'll survive.

For the show the other night I figured I'd bring my fast lens and be able to get something in the low light. I got some shots, just not good ones. Although it looked focused, and the little light came on saying it was in focus, the finished product was not. You may remember it is a manual focus lens that I've rued the day I spent the money for it. Here is one nonetheless:

I mentioned yesterday how I stopped at the library. What I'd meant to discuss was how solitary life has become. Is it just me, or do you think it is weird that although more people have telephones than any time in history, less people are talking. In fact, if you don't hold a job you can go whole days without talking to anyone. This particular branch only has self-service check ins and check outs. It just doesn't feel right to me.

As is my custom I look at the new novel offerings, most of the time picking out something intuitively, which works pretty well for me. Yesterday I chose Little Bee by Chris Cleave. Never in all my years of reading have I come across this on the inside jacket:
"We Don't want to tell you WHAT HAPPENS in this book.

It is a truly SPECIAL STORY and we don't want to spoil it.

NEVERTHELESS, you need to know enough to buy it, so we will just say this:

Which I'm not including on purpose (this will drive some of you crazy, you will immediately head to Amazon, but then that will spoil it...)

Concluding it says:

Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds."

I began reading around 8, forcing myself to stop a few hours later. Indeed I do think you should read it if possible. I turned the page corner down (I know I shouldn't!) so I could share this with you: "You have seen trouble too, Sarah. You are making a mistake if you think it is unusual. I am telling you, trouble is like the ocean. It covers two thirds of the world." Truer words were never written I'm afraid.

No comments:

Back at the Homestead