Monday, May 10, 2021

Why Does it Have to Be So Hard?

 I'll be frank with you, just when I thought that I was on my way, there's been a road block which has put me in an unhappy mood. Bear with me, if you will.

As you may recall today was my six week follow up for more x-rays and hopefully good news. Before the x-ray there had to be another cast removal which Danny performed skillfully, first using the saw,

followed by the spreader.

When Danny asked me if I wanted to keep the cast it reminded Bruce of his youth when saving a cast was fun. No thanks was my reply! Should you be wondering, these days, casts are made of fiberglass. 

The big reveal of what we feared was the case.

Yup, no reduction of the swelling. Above the cast there has been significant swelling, but aside from my fingers, it was hard to know. Because my thumb has been immobilized for six weeks, it is as stiff as can be. What you don't see pictured is my peeling hand, both top and bottom, along with my arm. 

Today Dr. Nguyen took more time saying that his goal was for me to be able to make a fist. As well, I no longer need a cast although I did come home with a removable brace. Furthermore, he ordered occupational therapy twice a week to help me regain the use of my hand which, at this point in time, is useless. So, once home, I tried scheduling an appointment and here's what has me so frustrated. 

    THERE ARE NO APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE FOR TEN DAYS! Seriously? 

I can hold my fingers down using my right hand, but until there is a reduction in the swelling, I still can't do a thing. Why does it have to be so hard? I wish I knew! 

For the record, the fracture site feels pretty good, it's just this damn edema that is painful.

Let's move on to happier topics, shall we?

I made some scratch muffins last week! During the course of this ordeal, I am learning to improvise. There are loads of things I miss doing and one of those is baking. You are not in the least surprised, are you? After I'd made them while Bruce was working at the church, he had a better idea on how to accomplish measuring flour, but in his absence, I did it like this.

I can't even remember how I swept the excess flour from the top of the cup, but it was likely to have been not very accurate. Same goes for the leavening agents. Wonder of wonders, they came out alright.

Not perfect, but edible. I will admit that removing the pan from the oven was pretty tricky.

I've been reading, while keeping my arm upright to reduce the swelling, however that was a pipe dream. Nonetheless, reading one of the books Mary gave me, it made me happy seeing the back cover.

And why is that you ask? Because I knew that the review was from Nancy who was such a great book critic, who in time became a friend. Now I read reviews on her blog, which you can find here.  I emailed her to tell her about the happy coincidence and her response made me laugh. Apparently a journalism professor scoffed at her chance at writing career if she was a one finger typist. She showed him! One a finger typist, always a finger typist. As for me I learned two-handed typing in the 10th grade and I struggle doing it with one finger. Perhaps, by the time this is all said and done, I won't even be able to type with two hands. 😟

Whoa Nelly, uploading photos from my Panasonic last week, I discovered a nice shot of the Pink Moon. Definitely not pink.

The boys and girls spoiled me on Mother's Day, beginning with a Saturday delivery courtesy of Bill and Fallon. Holy Cow it is beautiful!

InBloom florist for the win.

Michelle was the only one who would consent for a photo with me.

She could not stay for the pizza in order to visit with her Mom. That said, she did hang around long enough for Bruce to open the Tiffany box for me. Inside two beautiful wine glasses to go along with two impressive bottles of Cabernet. Following lunch, Matt and Tom called AND I beat Bill in Yahtzee which is a pretty big deal. Just when you might think it could not get any better, Dave took us out for a ride on the pontoon boat. Yup, it was a good day. By the time Jonathan called I was plum worn out.

The same holds true for this post...I have to concentrate so hard to find the keys, yes the very same ones I can use without looking, that I am calling it a day. Since I began writing, I've heard back from an office where I can get an appointment on Wednesday! The fact that it is on the other side of town is the only drawback, however I'm willing to give it a try because I want to get better, sooner rather than later.

your friend,


Gail 





 



No comments:

Back at the Homestead