Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's All About the Sale



On my way home from errands I heard the above phrase used on "All Things Considered" regarding the DNC, somehow, it seems appropriate for all of us. Whether we are a student writing a paper wanting the professor to "buy" our ideas, in a relationship, a doctor recommending treatment, a traditional sales relationship, a contractor selling the completed, or not, work, and the list could go on. Just a thought....

Speaking of the sale, I'm referring to our cheese vendors at the market. Blair asked me on Sunday if I would be willing to photograph the cheeses they sell for a website. Naturally, yours truly, said, "sure." Looking back I'm not quite sure I understood what I was getting into; approaching me around 3:00 is an excellent idea if you want a favor,by that time I'm usually so hot I'll agree to anything.

Nevertheless, a promise is a promise. She showed up this morning with a very large box of fine cheeses, actually sixteen different fine cheeses to be exact! Using our skylight as the light source we began the process of styling them all. That may not sound like much, but believe me it was. I searched every cupboard,the fridge, fruit bowl, pantry, looking for things that might enhance the images.



Turns out Blair is 27, originally from Oklahoma, and a former pro basketball player in Australia, now attending college for interior design. She's a year into her schooling which helped. What didn't help is that it is hard to get good pictures that quickly if you've only dabbled in food photography. Just ask my friend Terrie with the feastingonpixels blog. Her images of food are so inspiring, however, I can't begin to compete with her skill, especially in such record time. The good news is she's young and probably will be happy enough with the results.



Panic mode was setting in because I'd not heard from Mr. Roger since his trip to Napa Valley with Trish last week for a wedding. You may recall that this Saturday night is the benefit for BASE Camp, a local charity benefiting children with cancer with a donated piece expected from yours truly. Finally this morning I had a two line email, I'm back. Good thing.

Finally I wanted to mention an excellent piece from the New Yorker about the woman who "more or less invented the children's library in 1895." The article, called "The Lion and The Mouse", is filled with fascinating details about how you had to be fourteen, and a boy, to get into the library in New York, sixteen in Boston. Here's a link in case you are interested:
The Lion and The Mouse
----------------
Listening to: Simon & Garfunkel - Keep the Customer Satisfied
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Salut cher Gail...your food images that you took on short notice are all so very good.

I particularly love the one that you take of what looks like my particular choice, a Morbier, a raw milk French cheese.

Food images can be so disarmingly simple at first glance, and yet they are hard to capture because of lighting and styling and many other conditions.

I can't tell you that there is so much practice that I do each day in this particular genre of photography, that if it was not my passion, I would give up...lol..
But hard as it is, I work to find my voice as food photographer.

These images are a wonderful start cher amie.

Back at the Homestead