Friday, October 27, 2017

I've Been Out Walking

Because Bruce had been mostly home for three days, when he went to the office early Monday morning, I felt a little out of sync. In spite of the fact that it was gray and gloomy, instead of just sitting at home, I decided to take a walk. My plan was to walk along the seawall, up Denman Street and over to Robson to have my glasses tightened up a bit. I never did make it to the glasses store.
I am like a kid in a candy store, I just can't get enough of the autumn colors! Although I did my best to edit down the amount of photographs in this post, it wasn't easy as there are just so many things that cause me to put my camera up to my face. Seriously, I just can't help it.

Even the gloomy weather does not stop folks from getting out on the water.
On a gray day the beaches somehow seem a little more appealing than they did during the summer. I'm now accustomed to the big logs on the beach, and truth be told, it really is a brilliant idea, giving folks a place to sit without having to bring along chairs. Then there are the plentiful seagulls who have found resting spots on the rocks.
This fellow was gathering stones to make his own inukshuk, adding to all the others folks have made.
Whatever the weather, folks are strolling along the seawall.
The red tree in the distance caught my attention, however, I thought to myself, Gail, that's a little too far out of the way, so stick to your plan. Ha ha...as you will soon see, I did not listen to myself.

I did turn onto Denman Street, however, I then began wondering if all the side streets ended at  the water. Obviously, I did not consult the map inside my backpack, instead,  just kept shooting pictures, walking down whatever street caught my fancy. Seeing the yellow trees from one street, I took a little pathway over to Barclay, a street I'd yet to explore.
Following the lovely residential street, I came across some stone steps at the end. Continuing down the steps, lo and behold, I found myself in Stanley Park!
Although I saw the sign stating it was Stanley Park Lost Lagoon, I still asked a woman who was sitting on a park bench. Her husband arrived and I suppose, seeing my camera, they felt comfortable asking if I would take their photo under the lovely trees. Why, I'd be happy to! Instead of going back up those steps, I took the man's advice, continuing along the pathway. He mentioned a lovely bridge, which I saw. He did not mention the ducks and raccoons I saw in a pond. See how good I'm being, no shots of either!

Holy Cow is the park beautiful this time of year, with towering trees filled with yellow, orange, and red leaves. An autumn wonderland. I passed Second Beach, a rhododendron garden, as well as hoards of high school students, presumably on a field trip. I followed the path along the sea,
eventually ending up back on Beach and that amazing red tree that I earlier thought looked too far to walk.
Two months ago I could have never walked this far, however I've become accustomed to walking and when there is so much to see, it is a real pleasure. I'd photographed this cool hotel in the summer but wasn't keen on my output. This time, with the burning bush turning all red, I like it much better.
This is one of two women that I'd seen earlier before my detour in the park. Her friend is across the street, where I am, having her picture made amongst the foliage. I saw a lot of that!
My feet were good, having worn the walking shoes Bruce bought me two months ago, however, by the time I got back to the condo it was the middle of the afternoon and I was starving! Plus, Baxter shouldn't be left to his own devices for too long.

They say on a clear day you can see forever, and while that may not always be true, Tuesday it sure was. I've raved about seeing the mountains from the balcony before, but I'm not sure if it gets any better than seeing two snow capped mountains, blue sky and water, plus autumn leaves. What do you think?
Yup, Tuesday was beautiful. It is astonishing how different the temperature feels from Florida. I believe it was in the mid 50's, however, it felt really good, whereas I'd be complaining if I were at home. This day I stuck to my errand which was a trip to DressSew to buy a twin needle for hemming knits. Perhaps you are sick of me going on and on about the layers of a city but I just can't help myself. So much to see and when there is elevation involved it is even more pronounced.
Since it was such a lovely day I decided to go back to where we began this journey, along Coal Harbor, walking past the Pan Pacific where we spent our first few days. This area of town is crawling with tourists and I suspect this is the only part of Vancouver that they see, as was true for me when I was a tourist here.
The difference between then and now is that I know what I am looking at! I had no clue back then that I was looking at Stanley Park and the North Shore, not to mention the infamous Lionsgate bridge.
I'd never made my way all along Coal Harbor before, but now I have.
Making my way back towards home, I was ever so glad there are steps along Jervis Street as it is a steep uphill climb otherwise.
Yet another sunny day yesterday, but it began looking like this which confused me. It was so remarkable looking (photo does not do it justice), that even my next door neighbor was out on his balcony doing the same as I was.
Again, I took to the streets, this time with no plan in mind, however, that changed soon enough. I decided to walk across the Burrard Street bridge that you have seen many times before. Well, then, a lovely view unfolded below. So, the very seawall I walked on earlier in the week from above.
Here was my destination once I crossed over.
Just like back home, Vancouver is made up of neighborhoods, each having their own character. Kitsilano was once known as a "hippie haven." While I saw no hippies during my walk, I did see that it looks like it is a fun place to be.
Again I was parsing things down, not showing you the colorful homes I saw, instead focusing on the parks. I was as pleased as punch when I noticed a Great Blue Heron in the top of this tree. Taking them so for granted at home, as they are so plentiful, it is remarkable finding one here.
Remember that funky sky from earlier, here are the remnants of it about 11 in the morning.
I came across a pond, filled with ducks, and over time Canadian Geese, who then made their way back on shore.
Walking around this pond, I listened to the shrieking crows, who managed to scare away most of the little birds I saw, but not all of them.
As I mentioned in another post, when the weather is good, Vancouver is a gorgeous place to be.
Standing here I had to make a decision whether to take the ferry back across the water, or keep walking. I chose to keep walking. You have seen this rooftop countless times in the sunset photos I've shown you. What both you and I are just learning is that it belongs to the Museum of Vancouver, located in Vanier Park.
How's that for a water feature?

So, where was the seawall going to take me? Granville Island, that's where. Along the way...
The above, my friends is the Burrard Bridge I walked across. Following the path, under the Granville Bridge, there are colorful buildings to go along with the colorful foliage.
On and on she went, Gail that is, finally walking on the other side of the houses on barges you've seen countless times. Called, Seaside Village, there are fourteen adorable homes on the water. Between two of them, you can see "our" park, otherwise known as George Wainborn, and our building. Look up about twenty floors and you'll see our balcony.
Remarkably, there are four days of pure sunshine predicted, so who knows where my feet will take me during that time. Two of those days I'll have my honey with me. I've been told that it rains every single day in November, but wouldn't it be something if that were not the case this year?

It all seems a bit surreal to me at times. How did we get this lucky?

yours truly,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety