Skip to main content

Mind Over Matter

That seems to work pretty well for me in the daytime--the nighttime is another story. I was feeling so good for a few days until I felt the familiar twinge in my side yesterday afternoon and it went downhill from there. I went in the pool to soak my bites and called my sister Lisa; we chatted for a good long while. She asked if I had any doctor's visits lined up . I am between a rock and a hard place on that one. I've had no help from the gazillion visits I've made, so what would make me think another one would be any different? All these are distractionary (is that a word?) tactics. I was happy to go to bed early with Bruce who had to get up at 4 am for a flight this morning. Unfortunately, even though I was sleeping on my heating pad, the pain kept waking me up. I couldn't get comfortable no matter how I tried. I was awake when his alarm went off and thought I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep; thankfully, I did.

I got up with high hopes for the day. I scooted over to the museum to finish my task there--yeah, it is done. Apparently, they had that list since last October and no one had found the time to input it. So, for what it's worth, that at least makes me feel like it was a good thing to do. The gardener there saw I had my camera and asked if I would take some pictures of the grounds for a power point presentation he will be giving to some group. Naturally, I said sure. At the outset I was so weak I could hardly raise my camera to the angle I wanted, but eventually I recovered. When I came home I made a DVD for him which was quite a task with my new computer. I know what you are thinking--how hard could it be? You are right, I'm sure it isn't, but this first time I found it challenging.

I wanted to update you on Jonathan and Allisa. They made it safe and sound to Chicago, despite the fact that they stayed up until 3:30AM the morning of their departure. Jonathan then proceeded to drive all the way to Louisville, KY. I was sick when I heard about it, but I suppose that all young people do things like that. I'm happy to say that they are happily settled in the new apartment. Next step--jobs. Alissa had an interview already, however, I don't know if anything has come of it just yet. Keep your fingers crossed for the both of them please.

If I given you the impression that my son David is not generous, I need to correct that. He is generous, just serious with his money. He came over Sunday evening and declared he is ready to invest some money in my business. He's thinking technology. Bill got right on the computer registering me for a domain name for $10/year with Yahoo. It is

There's nothing there yet, but at least we are ready. More details to follow.

Popular posts from this blog

The Garment Sewing Continues

A headline I read online, from one of the local news outlets, caught my attention: "2017 Homicides in Vancouver on the Rise", or something to that effect. Thinking it might be worth reading, I checked it out learning that there have been 17 homicides here in 2017. No wonder a local homicide gets plenty of attention! Contrast that to the 84 so far this year in Orlando, and you'll get a notion why I feel so safe here.

For the record, there are still beautiful leaves to be seen, they have not all fallen, but lots of them sure have. The Japanese Maple trees are outstanding with such intense color it is hard to imagine.
The park workers, on the other hand, are working mighty hard to keep the lawns mostly leaf free.
In spite of the dire weather prediction for the week, we've had no rain until today, and what we are having is very minimal; good news for me as I'm taking Baxter to the vet in about 45 minutes. I'm not wishing it to be true, however, there must be some…

So I've Been Told

It must have been Sunday evening that I ran into our next door neighbor downstairs as I was taking Baxter out. Knowing that I am a photographer of sorts, he asked me if I'd been taking a lot of autumn photos. Well, we all know the answer to that question now, don't we? He added that the display this year was much better than last years, so how's that for good fortune for me? When I explained that I'd never experienced a true fall season, of course he was shocked. It's not that I have never seen fall leaves before, maybe twice, but never have I watched the actual day by day transformation and frankly, I am finding it thrilling, even if it means some ugly rainy days. I will remind myself of this fun sign I saw in a Robson Street shop window during the upcoming months.
It must have been Thursday morning, during a little break in the rain, that I got out early to pick up the dry cleaning and food for Baxter. Dark and dreary still, this brightened my morning.

Hither and Yon

Looking back on things, it does seem kind of crazy I did not know what was happening to me. No more so than on Saturday when we took a little trip to Steveston. But first we went to Richmond, a largely Asian community to meet up with the fellow who makes all of the furniture for Earls restaurants. By hand no less. Well, machines are involved, of course. Sewing machines and all manner of wood working tools. But, we'll get to that in a moment.

First, let's take the Canada Line to Broadway and Cambie Street, shall we?
The Canada Line actually runs from the waterfront all the way to both the airport and Richmond. Now you know.

Back in early July, the day we were having one of our two garage sales, we quit early to attend Judy's retirement party which was just lovely. So, not only was the party great, but Judy's sister Margie gave me a Lonely Planet guide to Vancouver and has it ever been helpful, with suggested neighborhood walks, points of interest, maps...the whole sheba…