Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Girl's Best Friend


Oh yes, GWPs. Our mom used to work in a department store and she taught us the lingo. GWP, of course, means gift with purchase. What a concept! Naturally we aren't really getting something totally free, but it always feels that way. Recently I got a sample of this Clinique mascara and it is fantastic. I had to have more! Thus, you see some of the goodies that came with my purchase of two mascaras today.

Some random thoughts and observations:

I wonder how many people don't use change. Bruce empties his pockets every day preferring not to carry change--it accumulates. I love this because when I need toll money it is always handy. I, on the other hand, use change. Is it because I carry a wallet in my purse?

Do movies perpetuate stereotypes, or, do they merely portray them?

I just completed Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures, a fine book of stories about what it takes to become a doctor and the pitfalls that await once that profession is secured. There is a particularly chilling chapter on SARS. I've just begun The Power of One which is set in South Africa during WWII.

I learned a new term today from the newspaper that I'd just as soon never heard. "Siblicide" is when one sibling kills another--in this case a 13 year old boy killed his 8 year old brother for eating dessert when he shouldn't have. Bad stuff.

My historical speech this Friday will be William Faulkner's acceptance speech for the Nobel Prize in Literature. I wonder what will happen about the test we were to have taken last week; to date I've received no e-mail from the professor.

Bruce is starting three remodels that happen after the restaurant closes each night. The next six weeks will prove to be some of the hardest he's faced. As I type this he is stuck in Reagan National Airport in Washington, DC with a three hour flight delay. Not a good start to the week as he was up most of last night with the construction crew. Adding insult to injury, as my mother would say, his phone is nearly dead.

Bill has a deal with Dean Guitars whereby he promotes them and they give him free ones. In fact, they are custom made to his liking. He took advantage of the bank holiday yesterday to go to Tampa to pick them up. Needless to say, he is excited.

Lastly, I took the two prints for the gallery to the museum today to ask Karen (the curator) about what type of frame she would choose. I was mighty pleased when she offered compliments,saying she has no art from the museum in her house because she lives with it all day. However, she went on to say, she was enticed by one of the pictures--I'll post it soon.

1 comment:

e said...

Do movies perpetuate stereotypes, or do they merely portray them?

Yes.

Yay on the guitar deal, that's really cool. And don't you just love finding a mascara that really works for you? It's a like tiny miracle...

A Low Level of Anxiety