Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Grumpy


Vertigo: Projection of Our Own Desires?

Dr. Holland argues in his essay on "Vertigo" that the "unreality" of the movie is deliberate on Hitchcock's part and is meant to allow viewers to "project" their own desires/wishes into the film. He cites one example in the scene in which Scotty kisses Judy after re-creating her as Madeleine and the camera circles them with the backgrounds showing past settings, like the stables. Explain how Dr. Holland thinks these unrealistic scenes suck us in as viewers and tell whether you agree with his assessment (it's okay to agree or disagree; just explain why). What other instances of "unreality" (we might call it formalistic shots) appear in the movie, and how did you react to them as a viewer?

So, I answered this question and now I have to do it again if I don't want a 0.
You remember how my response did not go through on The Maltese Falcon? You guessed it--I just read an e-mail from my professor stating there is no response although he can see I spent 35 minutes writing it. It is hard enough to answer these ridiculous questions once, two time is pure torture.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

This has happened to me before. The best way i learned to avoid this problem is typing up responses in Word and saving them. Then you can copy and paste the answer to the website. Who knows - maybe your second answer will be even better!

Gail Peck said...

The thing that annoys me so is that it says it is submitted and it should work for the student, not against. I've no idea what I wrote before, but the new response has been sent via e-mail.

e said...

My response would be Wha---? It's just a movie, for Pete's sake, don't RUIN it for me. Tee hee.

Back at the Homestead