Thursday, September 27, 2007

Demolition


Orlando is either building, or demolishing--one or the other. Today I went out to a factory outlet mall about seven miles from the house. If you have never visited Orlando you don't know that there is a tourist part of town, and then there is Orlando. This mall is at the south end of International Drive, a very long road that was established as the tourist part. It is very catty at one end, pretty posh at the other. One of the few reasons we ever go there is the shopping. There is an Off Fifth that is nice at the end closest to our house. It is now joined by a Neiman's Last Call which is on the other side of this demolition I'm picturing. Wet and Wild is in the middle, then there are loads of hotels, and restaurants, which we rarely visit, and further down is the enormous convention center. Further yet is the Premium Outlet Mall which is worth the trip. There are all the usual suspects, but a few really top notch ones are in the mix. Versace comes to mind as does Perla. Naturally I never buy anything at Todd's but it's nice to know I could if I wanted. All the Brits think it is bargain city--indeed it is with the pound now trouncing the dollar.

Tomorrow is D-day on the speech. I've got it down just fine, thank you very much. I've done it now for about ten different people including two of my classmates last night. Let's hope I'm as confident tomorrow at 1 as I am right now. For my historical speech I think I'm going to do a Nobel Prize acceptance speech by Jose Seramago--one of my favorite Portuguese writers. For my informative speech I think I'm going to demonstrate how to make a vegan chocolate cake. I found the recipe for Matt's birthday and it is a real winner. I think it should be relevant to my classmates, many of whom I'm confident are at the very least vegetarians.

On an totally non-vegetarian note I've got one of my Jon boy's favorite meals in the oven--au gratin potatoes with ham. He always was thrilled when I made it. Bruce's plane is arriving at 8, so he should be home fairly soon. We'll have my favorite vegetable with that--brocoli, which by now you know I could eat daily.

Did I tell you I'm having one of the photos printed on canvas for the art show?

2 comments:

e said...

I am totally fascinated by demolitions, things decaying and breaking down, destruction in general. What's up with that? I'm also fascinated by white trash, but that's a whole other story.

Let us know how your speech goes, how exciting!

Gail Peck said...

I myself think it is natural to be curious about anything--thus you will never know what picture I will post next!

A Low Level of Anxiety