Skip to main content

Demolition


Orlando is either building, or demolishing--one or the other. Today I went out to a factory outlet mall about seven miles from the house. If you have never visited Orlando you don't know that there is a tourist part of town, and then there is Orlando. This mall is at the south end of International Drive, a very long road that was established as the tourist part. It is very catty at one end, pretty posh at the other. One of the few reasons we ever go there is the shopping. There is an Off Fifth that is nice at the end closest to our house. It is now joined by a Neiman's Last Call which is on the other side of this demolition I'm picturing. Wet and Wild is in the middle, then there are loads of hotels, and restaurants, which we rarely visit, and further down is the enormous convention center. Further yet is the Premium Outlet Mall which is worth the trip. There are all the usual suspects, but a few really top notch ones are in the mix. Versace comes to mind as does Perla. Naturally I never buy anything at Todd's but it's nice to know I could if I wanted. All the Brits think it is bargain city--indeed it is with the pound now trouncing the dollar.

Tomorrow is D-day on the speech. I've got it down just fine, thank you very much. I've done it now for about ten different people including two of my classmates last night. Let's hope I'm as confident tomorrow at 1 as I am right now. For my historical speech I think I'm going to do a Nobel Prize acceptance speech by Jose Seramago--one of my favorite Portuguese writers. For my informative speech I think I'm going to demonstrate how to make a vegan chocolate cake. I found the recipe for Matt's birthday and it is a real winner. I think it should be relevant to my classmates, many of whom I'm confident are at the very least vegetarians.

On an totally non-vegetarian note I've got one of my Jon boy's favorite meals in the oven--au gratin potatoes with ham. He always was thrilled when I made it. Bruce's plane is arriving at 8, so he should be home fairly soon. We'll have my favorite vegetable with that--brocoli, which by now you know I could eat daily.

Did I tell you I'm having one of the photos printed on canvas for the art show?
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bodies of Water

Raise your hand if you think you can identify the location of this lovely scene? Before our excursion on Saturday, I certainly would have kept my arm straight by my side because I would have had no clue. This is the park on the shores of East Lake Tohopekaliga in downtown St. Cloud, Florida. I've included Florida because there is a town named the same in Minnesota, not far from a restaurant Bruce built, and there might just be someone from Minnesota that comes across this blog and thinks, that's not my town! 
At any rate, Bruce's superintendent in Plano is doing a fabulous job which means Mr. Peck is not having to kill himself, performing as both Project Manager, and the field Super. It's about time that he got a bit of a break, so when I asked him if he was up for a Saturday excursion to St. Cloud, he agreed. Both of us have driven by the exit to this little town on countless occasions, but never had either of us actually been there before. 28 miles from Orlando, it i…

And Just Like That....

another weekend has arrived! My, how the time flies when you are old. The date for our move to Vancouver in early July just keeps getting closer and closer! In the meantime, we are staying busy.

Matt and Tom have an anniversary coming up, yes, it has been three years already at the end of the month. You will not be surprised that I made a quilt to honor the occasion which I sent a week or so ago, thinking it would take some time. You never really know. In this instance it took only one week and since I sent it to Matt's workplace, he opened it right up and sent me a text to say he loved it! That was a relief because it is a little different than some quilts I've made. When I had only the top pieced Bruce was a little skeptical of the end result, however, after the addition of spiral quilting, and ORANGE binding, he was a convert!
For a touch of whimsy, I used a fabric with drawn kitty cats for Tom. The beginning of the spiral is somewhat sketchy, but I did the best that I coul…

Hither and Yon

Looking back on things, it does seem kind of crazy I did not know what was happening to me. No more so than on Saturday when we took a little trip to Steveston. But first we went to Richmond, a largely Asian community to meet up with the fellow who makes all of the furniture for Earls restaurants. By hand no less. Well, machines are involved, of course. Sewing machines and all manner of wood working tools. But, we'll get to that in a moment.

First, let's take the Canada Line to Broadway and Cambie Street, shall we?
The Canada Line actually runs from the waterfront all the way to both the airport and Richmond. Now you know.

Back in early July, the day we were having one of our two garage sales, we quit early to attend Judy's retirement party which was just lovely. So, not only was the party great, but Judy's sister Margie gave me a Lonely Planet guide to Vancouver and has it ever been helpful, with suggested neighborhood walks, points of interest, maps...the whole sheba…