Thursday, June 21, 2007

Calendar

Maureen called the other day to tell me about a photo contest of sorts here in town. The Orlando Historical Society puts together a calendar each year showcasing some of Orlando's historic neighborhoods. Four black and white submissions are allowed per photographer. Because I live close to this area it is a natural for me to attempt. Yesterday I roamed a few streets on foot and noticed things I hadn't previously. Almost all of the houses are great with their own personalities. I noticed this pretty kitty on one of the houses porch railing and couldn't resist. We no longer have a cat, but they still fascinate me. So quiet, and regal.

A few years ago I thought about retiring from work because Bruce is able to support our household without my income. A patient asked--"What will you do with yourself?" At the time I said, "I'll think of something," however I never would have dreamed up what I'm now doing. I am basically re-inventing myself. Most people don't get that opportunity, either because they are frightened of the prospect, or they don't have the financial support. Not to mention the psychological support. Bruce is my biggest cheerleader, encourage me every step of the way. The boys also indulge me.

Speaking of which, when Carol and Hank were here she was mentioning how interesting it was to see what the Peck boys have become. It is truly amazing to me. People used to pity me because I had four sons in seven years--no longer. I have free computer, decorating, financial, educational advice, and really, just about any other help you could think of. I could have never gotten through some of my classes without their help. Matthew critiqued my papers for a while, pointing out my penchant for too short sentences, and passive voice. I worked super hard trying to correct those problems. I am one lucky girl.

We seem to be having a vegetarian week around here. With the okra the other night we had, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, and boiled new potatoes. Last night it was a frittata with some of that lovely basil, sun dried tomatoes, and jalapeƱos with an arugula salad. The night before, broccoli and gruyere soup. Bruce is trying to lose weight, or at least stop the forward progress.

Jonathan and Alissa are home from the cruise and are dead set on moving to Chicago to experience big city life. Jobs and apartments are being sought as I type. Keep your fingers crossed for them.

No comments:

A Week Ago Tuesday